Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Taruga

macrumors newbie
May 10, 2010
Google Maps are not much better (in my case)

Well, Google Maps are not much better in my case.

When I tried to get directions to my work place, which is about 6 minutes by car, I got a location of 731 km on the North side of the country.

When I tried to get directions to the Airport, which is about 70KM, I got an Airport 2 minutes away, in the middle of a river.

I had to report both of these to get them fixed.

In my country, I still prefer Apple Maps because Google Maps looks like about 5 or 6 years old. I can't see most of the building, streets, etc... and Apple Maps shows them.

JayJayAbels

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2012
And this is why I loathe Samsung.

It puts Apple in a bad position. What is Apple supposed to do? Retaliate and attack Samsung with a TV ad using a white back drop and dueling iPad keyboards? That's not Apple's style. How do they defend themselves here?

These marketing ploys by Samsung MUST get under Apple's skin but they have no way to return the favor.

If I were Apple I would start making Ads similar to the Mac vs PC ads but do it in a way exposing how Samsung steals tech and ideas.

They're just corny and use cheap tactics to sell their product. I don't like it... never have.

supertomtom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 21, 2007
Gold Coast, Australia
On Monday, Apple repaired the Mildura mapping error, and it was discovered that the source information that Apple used from the Australian Gazeteer was inaccurate, which is what led to the issue.

That is an incorrect statement. As another reader had pointed out in the original thread, it's Apple's interpretation of their information that is erroneous, not the source information itself.

ZacNicholson

macrumors 6502a
Jun 25, 2011
Austin
This is funny, if apple didn't mess up the maps.app then this wouldn't have happened. on the other hand, samsung can try as hard as they want to, people want to buy iphones over GSIII's

rsnapeuk

macrumors regular
Oct 19, 2011
I think this is a great piece of marketing, truly taking advantage of the situation.

Hopefully its another motivator for Apple to improve maps, and make no delay in doing so.

Gobeatty

macrumors member
Sep 11, 2012
This is all about expectations, IMHO. I agree it was Steve's vision that we would be able to ask our computers/devices anything and get perfect responses, a la Star Trek, but we ain't there yet. And as good/better as google maps are, we see they also have errors. Suggest people realize they are living in a glass house rather than throwing rocks . Blind faith in any GPS is premature at this point in time - best to zoom in and do a reality check on your search results before venturing off. Apple Maps works great, IMHO (as does google's) and I keep TomTom on my device for the times when I lose cell signal.

JayJayAbels

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2012
Because Apple is too busy suing for rounded corners and refusing to pay for real patents it infringes on.

Design patents are extremely important.

Don't even get me started on patent "infringement". Samsung has a LONG history of blatantly ripping off other ideas... not just Apples.

bb426

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
California
Thing is, you don't see Samsung developing their own maps for their own phones, with their own software on it. Not to mention, Apple represents way more than just the iPhone...

For as long as Apple's own mapping software has been out and in development and how big the world is, I'm surprised there haven't been more serious (outspoken) incidences. Improvement does not come without mistakes, big and small.

Everybody's pointing the finger at Apple and telling everyone to go the other way for the wrong reasons.

dojoman

macrumors 68000
Apr 8, 2010

It puts Apple in a bad position. What is Apple supposed to do? Retaliate and attack Samsung with a TV ad using a white back drop and dueling iPad keyboards? That's not Apple's style. How do they defend themselves here?

These marketing ploys by Samsung MUST get under Apple's skin but they have no way to return the favor.

If I were Apple I would start making Ads similar to the Mac vs PC ads but do it in a way exposing how Samsung steals tech and ideas.

They're just corny and use cheap tactics to sell their product. I don't like it... never have.

I would probably do nothing about it. Let Samsung keep trolling and responding would even feed the troll bigger. Samsung can keep their piece of crap plastic phone.

saud0488

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2011
Google Maps had problems too...Buzz off Samsung, you're looking more childish everyday.

Almost as childish as saying your phone doesn't have an antenna problem, then saying every phone has antenna problems, then giving out free cases for the antenna problem that doesn't exist?

klydefrogg

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2012
Pobody's Nerfect in Australia

is the poor grammar intended to attract apple users, a la "think different"? I'm surprised it doesn't say "should of got".

wkadamsjr

macrumors 6502
Jun 29, 2010
"Should have got a Samsung..."

Umm...should have gotten. Forget the grammar check that day, Samsung?

iMcLovin

macrumors 68000
Feb 11, 2009
Samsungs mocking of apple earlier has just been childish and false. But this time they are actually right, so I think its a deserved boot up apples as-s

koban4max

macrumors 68000
Aug 23, 2011

how about Apple get their **** right from the beginning, such as keeping google app and youtube app. How about getting ML right? These sorts of things are PREVENTABLE....yet, they let it ride. Basically, Apple put themselves to this situation.

Dammi

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2010
Munich, Germany
Really never understood the issues around maps. Its unbelieveable in Copenhagen. Whole metropolitan area (not really met area but still) with even things as farms etc being perfectly done.

iRumored

macrumors member
Sep 27, 2011
I've heard a lot of complaints about Apple Maps but, it has been flawless for me when traveling in my area (Ohio, Michigan, Pennsylvania)

I guess i'm lucky..

iVoid

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
Funny, I've had printed maps have errors too and they were a lot harder to update.

:p

Funny I don't see the police warning people not to use the original Australian Gazeteer.

Yes, you shouldn't trust GPS data to be 100% accurate...
But when errors are found, it's a LOT easier to fix the errors with online maps than it is for printed maps.

(and I'm sure the Galaxy map has some errors somewhere)

Apr 17, 2005
Currently in Switzerland
Really never understood the issues around maps. Its unbelieveable in Copenhagen. Whole metropolitan area (not really met area but still) with even things as farms etc being perfectly done.

Same here in Switzerland - no problems whatsoever. But again, who the heck cares about a backwater area of Australia, which is little more than a mining colony for China?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.