Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Duff-Man02

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2012
If you follow smartphone product launch news for the upcoming year, you will see all the flagship models now have 1080p 5 inch screens with a 441 dpi super retina display.

Meh. You can't see the difference between 1080p and 720p on such a small screen. Hell, I couldn't even see it on my old 32" and 42" LCDs. You need to go up to 50" and above to see the difference between 720p and 1080p.
You can't see the pixels above a density of about 300ppi. So, what is it good for? Absolutely nothing.:D

kamalds

macrumors regular
Dec 16, 2010
I have note 2 and iPhone 5. I must say some of the Android features work like magic (wifi device to device transfer, USB mass storage mode and so on).

I love my iPhone. Don't get me wrong but there are some features that I know we, iOS users will never see.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
Really? Then how did it manage to sell 5 million units in 3 days?

The same way Windows 7 sold so many copies on the desktop.........with sheep following sheep.

----------

Meh. You can't see the difference between 1080p and 720p on such a small screen. Hell, I couldn't even see it on my old 32" and 42" LCDs. You need to go up to 50" and above to see the difference between 720p and 1080p.
You can't see the pixels above a density of about 300ppi. So, what is it good for? Absolutely nothing.:D

You must have extremely long arms to use your iPhone from 20 feet away.

----------

After using those big Android phones and looking back at the iphone i wonder how did i live with a phone so small

Same here.

burgundyyears

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
The same way Windows 7 sold so many copies on the desktop.........with sheep following sheep.

Wow, getting a bit off topic, but I think Windows 7 is actually pretty good, a leap forward from XP and Vista, and I prefer it to practically any iteration of OS X.

Seriously dude, is there any product you don't crap on? :confused:

chambone

macrumors 6502a
Dec 24, 2011
Netherlands
Wow, getting a bit off topic, but I think Windows 7 is actually pretty good, a leap forward from XP and Vista, and I prefer it to practically any iteration of OS X.

Seriously dude, is there any product you don't crap on? :confused:

He's just doing what he does best: trying to rile people up. Some people need that.

Duff-Man02

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2012
You must have extremely long arms to use your iPhone from 20 feet away.

What does this have to do with anything? Hold your Phone directly before your eyes: above 300ppi you can't see any pixels and on such a small screen you cannot tell the difference between 720p, 1080p 4k or whatever. The TVs were meant as examples to show that even on screens way beyond 4"/5"/6" it is not possible to tell whether you have a 1080p video or 720p one. At the end, it's all down to pixel density and you can have a gazilion ppi and you still wouldn't be able to relish them all. ;)

Mrbobb

macrumors 603
Aug 27, 2012
OP is ga-ga over stylus.

I remember the palms, the PDAs, people lose their stylus, this was 20 years ago, then they disappeared. I think there must be a reason.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
What does this have to do with anything? Hold your Phone directly before your eyes: above 300ppi you can't see any pixels and on such a small screen you cannot tell the difference between 720p, 1080p 4k or whatever.

Because you compared smartphones to windscreen TVs, that's why.

That's because you only have a 3.5/4 inch screen and because the iPhone doesn't have it. Android users have the option of much larger screens where the increase to 1080p can be readily seen.

Duff-Man02

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2012
Because you compared smartphones to windscreen TVs, that's why.

That's because you only have a 3.5/4 inch screen and because the iPhone doesn't have it. Android users have the option of much larger screens where the increase to 1080p can be readily seen.

Sigh. As mentioned: you can't even see it on a 32" LCD (20ft away, 2ft away... doesn't make a difference). When there's a phone with a 50" screen, I'll buy it to take advantage of full HD. Anyway, you're trollin'. :D

ericgedi77

macrumors member
Aug 28, 2011

Pretty presumptuous of you to call people you don't know sheep, but based on your replies in this thread it appears that your main goal is to get your jollies off.

Go troll else where.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
Sigh. As mentioned: you can't even see it on a 32" LCD (20ft away, 2ft away... doesn't make a difference). When there's a phone with a 50" screen, I'll buy it to take advantage of full HD. Anyway, you're trollin'. :D

I can clearly tell the pixelation difference between a 720p TV and a 1080p TV from arms length away. You may want to get your eyes checked. It is actually you who is doing your so called deed by saying there is no difference between 720p and 1080p.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010

Pretty presumptuous of you to call people you don't know sheep, but based on your replies in this thread it appears that your main goal is to get your jollies off.

Go troll else where.

Not my problem if you don't like the momentum effect. Sheep following sheep is just another way of saying that people were buying the iPhone 5 because others around them were, just like with Windows 7.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
Not my problem if you don't like the momentum effect. Sheep following sheep is just another way of saying that people were buying the iPhone 5 because others around them were, just like with Windows 7.

Considering iPhones are reliable and have several free ways to communicate between each other why not buy one? iPhones are popular because it doesn't take any kind of tech knowledge to use them. Almost any problem can be solved by a restore/reset or a quick trip/mail to Apple. Many people also use iTunes and have bought songs from there. Android just isn't appealing to them. If it was android that was popular you wouldn't be saying anything about "sheep". You would say "consumers making the right choice"

iPhaithful

macrumors regular
May 5, 2010
People are going to keep asking for bigger screens until the line between tablet and phone is smeared. Jeeze, personally I think the iPhone 5 has a great screen size. I don't watch video like that and barely play games. I'm an adult with a full time job and other demanding obligations. If I wanted a gaming device to watch movies on, I would have bought a Vita or DS. :confused:

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
Considering iPhones are reliable and have several free ways to communicate between each other why not buy one? iPhones are popular because it doesn't take any kind of tech knowledge to use them. Almost any problem can be solved by a restore/reset or a quick trip/mail to Apple. Many people also use iTunes and have bought songs from there. Android just isn't appealing to them. If it was android that was popular you wouldn't be saying anything about "sheep". You would say "consumers making the right choice"

Android is more popular the iPhone.

bigjnyc

macrumors 604
Apr 10, 2008
maybe jonny Ive will revamp iOS, but with the boring and basic iOS, and the tiny iPhone screen, apple are really out of touch I think, and most people continuing to use the iPhone just now are somewhat hypnotised by apple

Is this really necessary to get your point accross?

I understand you have a certain preference, but to criticize people who dont agree with you is really just going to make all your other points moot and put readers on the defensive.

I happen to think Android is a cluttered mess and love the cleanliness and seamlessnes of iOS. I also happen to think the Note is totally stupid and way to big to be practical as a phone..... But thats my personal opinion and I wont knock anyone who chooses to like it or use one.

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
Sure, spin it the way you want but the reality is that Android is more popular.

Android phones are just more numerous. They are in no way more "popular" than Apple's iPhone. I haven't heard of people standing in line for android phones but iPhones are regularly sold out even months after their launch. Especially around this christmas season. That's really the only reason Apple's market share is smaller, because androids are more available and they are dirt cheap.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
Android phones are just more numerous. They are in no way more "popular" than Apple's iPhone. I haven't heard of people standing in line for android phones but iPhones are regularly sold out even months after their launch. Especially around this christmas season. That's really the only reason Apple's market share is smaller, because androids are more available and they are dirt cheap.

Sure, spin it the way you want but the reality numbers say Android is top. 90+ % market share in China.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.