Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Lancer

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Australia
1 - Who the heck cares about an Australian backwater?

The possible millions of tourists who travel the area each year, more and more of then will rely on GPS maps in some form.

The worth that happen to me is (on my car GPS) I put in the street but wrong suburb and it took me 10 minutes to realize I was in the wrong area. Even with GPS you still really need some idea of the area you plan to travel and have suitable water/food and fuel for any road trip no matter how short, it's common sense!

Ashin

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2010
Funny these comments, a decade of windows vs mac ads : capitalising on percieved windows or ms flaws : brilliant, samsung doing the same with apple : childish . Gotto love how blind people can be when its about there brand they happen to like .

----------

You think a fanboy website is journalism ?

Quoting for truth :rolleyes::apple:

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2010
I just miss Sony when I hear about Samsung anything. Sony's stuff always had more swag. :cool:

And for god's sakes people need to learn how to use a real map and somewhat know how to navigate on their own so if the electronic they use is off they can quickly figure it out. Even the famous google maps has bad screw ups still, there just isnt a google rumors site where it is largely publicized. That is fact, if one does not believe it is then you think Larry Page is way too cute with dem teeth.

Last edited by a moderator:

Wuiffi

macrumors 6502a
Oct 6, 2011
In Austria we would say: "Ist der Ruf erst ruiniert, lebt es sich ganz ungeniert", which means something like: Once you've lost your reputation, you have nothing left to lose

Fruit Cake

macrumors 6502a
Mar 31, 2012
Google maps did exact same thing when it was new, now it's not and its a lot mature and better. Apple has some catching up to do. Firing forstall for stalling was the first step, now the buck passing has to stop and start fixing it more. Google works better, but not perfect either.

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2012
Most of Samsung's ads targeting Apple seem poorly thought out - but this one is great! I love it.

Maybe they hired a new (and decent) agency recently? Their previous ads have been cr*p.

I don't quite agree. Their first ad where they depicted customers line up was pretty decent and demonstrated all the stereotypes made against Apple users quite humorously. This one is quite tame in comparison.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
That issue was one of the main reasons I sold my GS1. But you can't expect Samsung to bring that up. And they have no reason to either, since they haven't had this issue since the GS1.

Jelly Bean... Galaxy Nexus... ;)

Sure they won't bring it up, but maybe "not bringing it up" could've included not throwing rocks at the competition for navigation related problems you know...

That's the best you can do?

I don't understand what you mean ?

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
That's a 3rd party navigation app. It's built in to google maps on android, just like it is built into Apple maps.

You really don't get it, do you?

Yes, that Galaxy III S comes with Google Maps, but the picture from the Samsung ad shows the paid Navigon app (which is not "free", per se, though piracy does seem to be rampant among Android users, so YMMV).

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2012
I just miss Sony when I hear about Samsung anything. Sony's stuff always had more swag. :cool:

And for god's sakes people need to learn how to use a real map and somewhat know how to navigate on their own so if the electronic they use is off they can quickly figure it out. Even the famous google maps has bad screw ups still, there just isnt a google rumors site where it is largely publicized. That is fact, if one does not believe it is then you think Larry Page is way too cute with dem teeth.

I miss Sony too. I hope they start producing better phones and gain more market share.

Mac21ND

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2007
I think it's a well played advertisement and much better then the "standing in line" ads they used in the past.

What's interesting, really, is that Samsung is taking the low road in it's marketing. This is like Marketing 101 stuff: find a competitor's weakness and exploit it. It's like political mudslinging.

It's not good marketing, it's easy marketing.

The question is whether Apple takes the bait and goes equally low?

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2012
Google maps did exact same thing when it was new, now it's not and its a lot mature and better. Apple has some catching up to do. Firing forstall for stalling was the first step, now the buck passing has to stop and start fixing it more. Google works better, but not perfect either.

Nor will it or any other mapping solution ever be.

larrylaffer

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2009
Los Angeles
Because Apple is too busy suing for rounded corners and refusing to pay for real patents it infringes on.

DSdJs.jpg

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
MacBookPro13";16476229 said:
Samsung are so OBSESSED with Apple.

Bleh it's just posturing, although I wish companies would focus their ads more on their own products.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
I think it's a well played advertisement and much better then the "standing in line" ads they used in the past.

What's interesting, really, is that Samsung is taking the low road in it's marketing. This is like Marketing 101 stuff: find a competitor's weakness and exploit it. It's like political mudslinging.

It's not good marketing, it's easy marketing.

The question is whether Apple takes the bait and goes equally low?

Apple has already gone way below by bully suing for rounded corners.

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
Thanks Samsung, I did get navigation I can trust. Navigon. The product advertised on your silly sign. But it's on my iPhone.

Attack ad fail.

MattInOz

macrumors 68030
Jan 19, 2006
Sydney
It looks to me the display is set up on the George st forecourt of Australia Square a fairly well known piece of modern architecture.

Search Google for this building by name you'll get the carpark across the road.
Apple new "broken" maps lists the building.

Oops.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.