Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
Really? Is that a widespread issue?

I posted an article earlier in the thread after someone pointed out the GS1 issue was 2 years old.

My friend has that issue on his Galaxy Nexus, he just got an invite to the Google navigation reality game thing too so he's kinda bummed.

aerok

macrumors 65816
Oct 29, 2011
not a nice thing to do but lets face it. Majority of Samsung users are Apple haters and arrogance goes hand in hand when it comes to Apple hate. I decent person would look down on this but Samsung know their true customers are more of the arrogant type. (no offence to anyone btw) Just seems that way from my observations over the years.

Hmm... not really. Most people don't care about what goes on between them... Your observation is biased and based on what you see on forums.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
:confused:

It was never about rounded corners.

US Design Patent '889 is pretty much a flat rectangle with rounded corners. Not much else to that patent and its drawings. Thank god no one has yet to find any Samsung products to infringe on it though (or any other products at all really).

AppleInTheMud

macrumors 6502
Jun 19, 2012
Vojens Denmark
It's like watching 2 jocks fight for the cheerleader girl.

Only that Google releases software that works... Apple doesnt.

Okay... I dont mean that ... But with maps, youtube (appleTV sucks watching youtube on, since half the videoes doesnt show up on playlists.)

Bought a Samsung 50" SmartTV yesterday... Now my AppleTV goes to the bedroom...

piyusharyan

macrumors newbie
Aug 2, 2011
How it is any different than the Windows/Mac ads??

I think its pretty different.. for one those ads never targeted PC users.. they humorously tried to highlight issues with PCs, so that PC users would switch to Mac.. Samsung ads don't pointing out issues with iOS or try to convert users.. they are just outright insulting.. their message is - u r stupid to use iOS.. That's what make Samsung ads childish..

MrVinney96

macrumors member
Jan 25, 2011
Holland :)
Samsung is just OBSESSED by Apple. They can't promote their products unless the competition did something wrong in the early stages of a service.

As if Google Maps was flawless from day 1.

Rocketman

macrumors 603
The problem with Samsung escalating "negative advertising" as compared to "comparative advertising", is it invites the divisions of Apple that ignore "some" divisions of Samsung, to begin to take notice and respond accordingly.

The legal department is probably segregated.

The marketing and manufacturing departments are connected.

Facts.

Rocketman

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
I think its pretty different.. for one those ads never targeted PC users.. they humorously tried to highlight issues with PCs, so that PC users would switch to Mac.. Samsung ads don't pointing out issues with iOS or try to convert users.. they are just outright insulting.. their message is - u r stupid to use iOS.. That's what make Samsung ads childish..

Hum... this ad we're discussing here is pointing out a flaw in iOS. Not in iOS users.

And frankly, their other ads don't insult me as an iOS user. I also make fun of the "standing in line for Apple products I've never seen" crowd.

Mac21ND

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2007
US Design Patent '889 is pretty much a flat rectangle with rounded corners. Not much else to that patent and its drawings. Thank god no one has yet to find any Samsung products to infringe on it though (or any other products at all really).

My point was that it was about protecting patents; of which Samsung is equally guilty for law suits, arguably silly patents, etc. (As are a million other companies, which is why there's significant calls for patent reform).

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2012
Samsung is just OBSESSED by Apple. They can't promote their products unless the competition did something wrong in the early stages of a service.

It wasn't but it's much close to being flawless than Apple Maps is. And Samsung doesn't give a hoot about Apple. They just want their customers.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada

Google Maps were released in 2005. Expectations of digital mapping were different 7-8 years ago than they are today. No one is going to cut some slack for Apple for being late to the game. They should still have released a 2012 standards product, not a 2005 standards product.

Maybe some of us just expect to much of the company that "Skates where the puck will be". But that's what Apple thaught us to do.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada
My point was that it was about protecting patents; of which Samsung is equally guilty for law suits, arguably silly patents, etc. (As are a million other companies, which is why there's significant calls for patent reform).

Samsung's suits have mostly been counterclaims after being hit by Apple, or preventive claims (like the UK case where Samsung sued "itself" before Apple could do it).

Mostly, on the litigation front, Samsung has been responding to Apple's hostility.

M

Mr.damien

This is great! Very smart for them to take advantage of the situation.

Very smart ? lol...

----------

Samsung's suits have mostly been counterclaims after being hit by Apple, or preventive claims (like the UK case where Samsung sued "itself" before Apple could do it).

Mostly, on the litigation front, Samsung has been responding to Apple's hostility.

Yes, in your world. All Samsung's ads are moking Apple owners or Apple itself.
you will never see any of this in any Apple ad.

But yeah, I am accustomed to your revisionism now. You wouldn't expect less from you.

Mac21ND

macrumors 6502a
Jun 6, 2007

I wouldn't necessarily agree with you on that, but we may have to agree to disagree. What I don't like (not from you) is reducing the whole argument down to the "suing for rounded corners." It just trivializes the whole issue between the two companies, as well as patent fights in general.

TheNewDude

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2010
I'm an iPhone user... I like Apple products generally.

But I don't get why people are so angry and Samsung? Apple use to use attack ads against PC all the time. Remember the "Cool" Apple actor and the "Geeky" Bill Gates look alike Windows actor?

They hammered Windows and Window's failures with those ads...

uknowimright

macrumors 6502a
Dec 30, 2011
pretty sure Navigon comes free with the GS3 and you can use the maps offline in that big vast wilderness that's in Australia, that's probably why they are promoting it, but hey who the hell uses logic?

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2010
This reminds me I need to watch Team America, been wanting to do that recently. I know it's different countries but I can picture Samsung's CEO as Kim Jong when he says

"You're not goring anywhrere my wittle wred, write, and brue, friend."

LMFAO god I love it!!

Last edited by a moderator:

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
All I have to say is where is google maps already??? 'Nuff of this crap.

I don't think google is really in a hurry to provide a new map app for IOS.

What would google gain from having all the functionality of google maps on the iPhone when they would rather push you to thier operating system.

gmanist1000

macrumors 68030
Sep 22, 2009
I'm an iPhone user... I like Apple products generally.

But I don't get why people are so angry and Samsung? Apple use to use attack ads against PC all the time. Remember the "Cool" Apple actor and the "Geeky" Bill Gates look alike Windows actor?

They hammered Windows and Window's failures with those ads...

Because it's an Apple dedicated website.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.