Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
Pretty worthless. It offers very little. Where is the Firewire, eSATA, and others? For that price it should include much more. It doesn't save much time for most users.

iCaleb

macrumors 6502
Apr 26, 2010
USA
If possible it would of been nice to see a bunch of TB ports on the hub it self. :(

This thing is almost useless.

LotusLord

macrumors 6502a
What is the point in this product?

All macs (apart from air) have built in LAN, USB, display out and in/out audio.. Whats the point? If you need more USB plugs get one of those splitters/extentions etc..

The big deal here is that you can just leave your peripherals plugged into this and only plug in one cable at your desk, rather than however many. Docking solutions are common on professional notebooks from PC manufacturers (the HP 8560w I'm typing this on is connected to a dock that offers pretty much every type of connection you may want (including serial, parallel, eSATA, ethernet, vga, dvi, full size display port) it also has a slot for an additional hard drive.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Which is a failure - the port or the standard? People use the port all the time. The protocol just hasn't caught on yet, but it's not like there are unused ports just wasting board and device space.
Wha..?

Like as a Thunderbolt port or just as a Mini-DisplayPort to some other video output?

blackhand1001

macrumors 68030
Jan 6, 2009
What the hell is up with the price. You can get a netbook with all those ports and more for less money.

APlotdevice

macrumors 68040
Sep 3, 2011
Is it backward compatible with a floppy disc drive?

Yes. :p

Usb_floppy_drive.jpg

bdkennedy1

Suspended
Oct 24, 2002
Thunderbolt serves solely as a revenue stream for Apple. No one really needed Firewire but as long as that port was on there, people were going to buy the accessories anyway.

"Thunderbolt sounds so cool I have to buy stuff to use it!"

Ralf The Dog

macrumors regular
May 1, 2008
Thunderbolt serves solely as a revenue stream for Apple. No one really needed Firewire but as long as that port was on there, people were going to buy the accessories anyway.

"Thunderbolt sounds so cool I have to buy stuff to use it!"

Professionals needed Firewire, just as professionals need Thunderbolt. Not every technology is for every demographic.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
How many years has it been since Thunderbolt was announced and launched?

These prices are outrageous. Thunderbolt is a total failure.

If I am not mistaken, Thunderbolt is still exclusive to Macs? THAT is the reason it is a total failure. There are so few people using them, relatively speaking, that there is not a potential to reach hundreds of millions of users you could target if this went to PC. It's good technology, but it is essentially proprietary.

Stetrain

macrumors 68040
Feb 6, 2009
What is the point in this product?

All macs (apart from air) have built in LAN, USB, display out and in/out audio.. Whats the point? If you need more USB plugs get one of those splitters/extentions etc..

It's the same reason that many laptops that also have all of the above ports also have a docking connector.

Connecting one cable at home and work to dock your notebook into your keyboard/monitor/mouse/speakers/network can be very convenient.

TMay

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2001
Carson City, NV
How many years has it been since Thunderbolt was announced and launched?

These prices are outrageous. Thunderbolt is a total failure.

TB was introduced in a product on Feb 24, 2011, which would be about 20 months. As a docking system on the 27 inch TB display, it has been very well received, and hardly a failure.

Haswell gives equal status to Thunderbolt and USB 3.0, and TB components for peripheral makers have or will get a die shrink to lower cost.

Once you factor in the roadmap for TB, more channels and optical up to 100m, and the existing advantages of low latency, isochronous channels, and Displayport compatibility it becomes obvious that TB will be the choice over USB 3.0 for video and audio professional, and any others that required high quality data streaming.

dubprocess

macrumors newbie
Nov 1, 2011
I just don't understand why these Thunderbolt docking stations have been either delayed or been the biggest pieces of crap.

TMay

macrumors 68000
Dec 24, 2001
Carson City, NV
If I am not mistaken, Thunderbolt is still exclusive to Macs? THAT is the reason it is a total failure. There are so few people using them, relatively speaking, that there is not a potential to reach hundreds of millions of users you could target if this went to PC. It's good technology, but it is essentially proprietary.

Not exclusive by any stretch. Apple got a head start.

Total failure is not using your fave Google for the correct answer.

D-a-a-n

macrumors 6502
Mar 22, 2010
What, only 2 usb ports.. Man oh man, what were they thinking?
Btw, the use of aluminum on such a bad designed product is just stupid and gimmicky. It probably doesn't even add that much strength.

dracoshafi

macrumors newbie
Aug 25, 2012
UK
can you connect a games console in the HDMI port and have a thunderbolt cable connecting to a 27" imac and get output on the imac on it?

Frobozz

macrumors demi-god
Jul 24, 2002
South Orange, NJ
While still pricey, this is at least feasible for me. A docking station like this is exactly what I'd want. Instead of plugging in 5 cables every time I sit at my desk with my laptop, I'd plug in 1.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.