Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

macchiato2009

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Aug 14, 2009
hi

wondering if in general, all new iPad's 4 have this yellowish tint or is this just a random bad screen like we can have on some iphone's ?

because i'm returning mine to the online apple store

hesitating about re-ordering another one, returning, like an infinite loop until i get a good one :(

Dlanod

macrumors 65816
Jul 11, 2008
UK
Th screen on mine is better than the 3rd gen I had. Mine is a lovely creamy white.

lianlua

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2008
Impossible to say. Yellow compared to what? All whites are not equal.

The color temperature and calibration of an iPad tends toward accurate over flashy, and people used to consumer displays with blown out dynamic contrast and oversaturated colors might prefer something more blue than white (just as consumers overwhelmingly prefer the opposite in home lighting after being accustomed to the dingy glow of incandescent bulbs).

If the display is consistent, then it's most likely exactly as it should be. That's not to say that some aren't warmer or cooler than others.

Then there are some that are inconsistent or blotchy. Some slight color shift and unevenness is inevitable, but some should be replaced.

With LCDs, it's always a question of degree. It'll always be a tiny bit too warm or too cool, a little bit uneven across the surface, a little bit off in every single way. Everyone has different personal sensitivities to different aspects and everyone's vision is a little different, too. There are no perfect ones. If something negatively stands out to you, it's just a question of reasonably finding one that doesn't bother you.

This forum is sadly overflowing with unreasonable people, unfortunately.

dazz87

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
hi

wondering if in general, all new iPad's 4 have this yellowish tint or is this just a random bad screen like we can have on some iphone's ?

because i'm returning mine to the online apple store

hesitating about re-ordering another one, returning, like an infinite loop until i get a good one :(

Its call warm temp, and no its not a defect. 3rd gen was make by Samsung and their are mostly cool temp (blue tint) I prefer warm temp then cool temp. Good luck finding one 4th gen with that blue tint. You are better off getting the 3rd gen

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
My first 3 iPad 4s that I returned had warm screens which was fine, but they also had uneven yellow tints on various parts of the screen. My 4th one that I am keeping I consider to be perfect. It does have a warmer white screen unlike my bluish white iPad 3, but I actually prefer the warmer tone now that I am used to it. It is much easier on the eyes. It does not have any yellow anywhere. I definitely was not happy seeing uneven yellow tints on the first 3. My 15 inch rMBP has a very faint yellow tinge in the lower right corner of the screen, but this is minor and overall the screen is gorgeous. It is a Samsung and the white tone is almost identical to my iPad 4. I was lucky to get this on the first try. Actually I've never returned an Apple product prior to the iPad 4.

dazz87

macrumors 68000
Sep 24, 2007
how does one test for had uneven yellow tints on various parts of the screen?

schmidt65

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010
My iPad 4 is noticeably yellow on the right hand side. Is there anyway to fix this without going back to an apple store? The left hand side is fine.

GUG

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2012
My iPad 4 is noticeably yellow on the right hand side. Is there anyway to fix this without going back to an apple store? The left hand side is fine.

We could merge our iPads as mine is perfect on the right side and yellow on the left side. This is the second iPad 4, the first one was pink on the lower side and yellow towards the top.

I previously owned an iPad 2 witch had a really good white screen...

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
my iPad 4 had horrendous back light bleed (you could actually see the LED's). i ditched it for an iPad 3 refurb and saved $150.

as far as picture quality though, i didn't see any difference between the iPad 3 and the iPad 4. the ipad 3 and 4 both seem "warmer" than the iPad 2 i used to have though

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
Sometimes a new device will be like that. My iPad 3 was for a couple of weeks but then it went away. So give it a week or two before making any returns. This is VERY common and almost always works itself out.

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
Sometimes a new device will be like that. My iPad 3 was for a couple of weeks but then it went away. So give it a week or two before making any returns. This is VERY common and almost always works itself out.

Good advice, but if it doesn't seem to be resolving I would return it within the period of "no questions asked" - 2 weeks or whatever the holiday end date is. After that Apple can say it is within specs.

schmidt65

macrumors 6502
Jun 23, 2010

I got mine on the 23rd November, hasn't got any better.

Taking to apple store on Sunday.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.