Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

furam90

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
Just got a Lenovo Ideapad Yoga and let me just say after getting the hang of Windows 8, it absolutely puts iOS to shame, it feels like I've finally joined the 21st century.

Windows 8 is much more fluid to the touch, everything is integrated perfectly, and the customization is so much better. In comparison, iOS is stale, lacking in fluidity, and feels like a cage garden. Never knew what I was missing until now- its shocking.

Once Windows 8 gets more apps they will be a big force; apple better step up its game.

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
I agree the Windows 8 Metro interface is much better than anything Apple puts out but the ships have sailed and Microsoft is too late to the game.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
Windows 8 better than iOS? Seems like an unfair comparison. One's a desktop, and one's a mobile operating system. And fluidity has always been a strong point in iOS, so that's curious.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
I played with the Yoga 13 at BestBuy and found it too big for what I want (to replace my 2008 MacBook).

Waiting to see the ARM based Yoga 11. That might actually be an interesting box for me.

As zbarvian suggests comparing an Intel based box to an ARM one is a bit of a stretch. The Yoga 13 with its i3 is closer to a Macbook Air and is quite a bit heavier than the 13" MBA.

EDIT: FWIW I have a desktop running Win 8 Pro and find it quite usable. Unfortunately after the upgrade I can't rip or play audio CDs with my BD-ROM drive with any app. Annoying. Going to try a clean install at Christmas.

B

Last edited:

furam90

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010
Windows 8 better than iOS? Seems like an unfair comparison. One's a desktop, and one's a mobile operating system. And fluidity has always been a strong point in iOS, so that's curious.

Maybe I should've elaborated a bit: the Metro UI aspect of Windows 8 is much better than iOS. iOS isn't really that fluid for example, in metro i can swipe from the left and it takes me to the previous page in IE, close the program, tab? just swipe from the top.

Notifications are much more streamlined and previewed on the live tiles, as opposed to iOS where all you get is a stupid red number over the icon. I can customize what size I want the tiles, what they show and so forth. In iOS i can't do any of that.

mankar4

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2007
USA
Agreed, the os is much better, but the apps are MUCH WORSE. So much worse. I have a windows phone and its beautiful until I try to do anything other than email.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
Maybe I should've elaborated a bit: the Metro UI aspect of Windows 8 is much better than iOS. iOS isn't really that fluid for example, in metro i can swipe from the left and it takes me to the previous page in IE, close the program, tab? just swipe from the top.

Notifications are much more streamlined and previewed on the live tiles, as opposed to iOS where all you get is a stupid red number over the icon. I can customize what size I want the tiles, what they show and so forth. In iOS i can't do any of that.

Ah, that makes sense now. Yes I will agree it is easily a better tablet OS than iOS. Really slick with the gestures and interaction. Neat UI.

MuffCabbage

macrumors regular
Nov 11, 2012

Agreed. Win8 still has some growing to do, but its pretty fluid for sure. Love the edge gestures on tablets.

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
Windows 8 on tablet looks really good, ive been pondering the idea to get one (so much things to get lol) but my ipad 2 still does what i need and the battery remains perfect.

These is a really good video that shows many aspects of both OS.

Last edited:

sviato

macrumors 68020
Oct 27, 2010
HR 9038 A
Can it be used in portrait mode? I feel like some (most websites) would be better viewed that way.

Also the swipe gestures you mentioned have been on OSX for a while, which is what Windows 8 is actually competing against as iOS is a mobile OS. If you're saying it should compete against the iPad then I disagree, I think they're different markets.

Since Apple is trying to unify iOS and OSX maybe we'll see something better in the future from their side.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Windows 8 is great, but I am still waiting to see what happens with RT versus x86. RT seems like it is going to just... die.

That said, if you are looking for integration between your phone and tablet, iOS is STILL the better system. If not, WP8 reins supreme.

Can it be used in portrait mode? I feel like some (most websites) would be better viewed that way.

Websites can, certain apps can, but the OS UI (Metro) can not, currently.

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
I'll stick with iOS for tablet computing.

I've been on Windows 8 Pro for awhile now, almost daily, and it didn't take long for Window-isms to appear. I like Windows 8 quite a bit, but the Windows 8 experience has given me no reason to want to replace my iPad, or dissuaded me from getting an Apple desktop or laptop in the near future to replace my current Windows Box.

Beeplance

macrumors 68000
Jul 29, 2012
Windows 8 looks like a regression to me with all the cluttered live tiles. I'm better off and more comfortable with Windows 7.

AND YES, I do know you can switch to the desktop interface in Windows 8, but there's no point in doing that.

Just my 2 cents.

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
I played with the Yoga 13 at BestBuy and found it too big for what I want (to replace my 2008 MacBook).

Waiting to see the ARM based Yoga 11. That might actually be an interesting box for me.

As zbarvian suggests comparing an Intel based box to an ARM one is a bit of a stretch. The Yoga 13 with its i3 is closer to a Macbook Air and is quite a bit heavier than the 13" MBA.

EDIT: FWIW I have a desktop running Win 8 Pro and find it quite usable. Unfortunately after the upgrade I can't rip or play audio CDs with my BD-ROM drive with any app. Annoying. Going to try a clean install at Christmas.

B

The Yoga at Best Buy is a i5. Its hardly too big IMO. Same size as my MacBook. Ill get one someday but when it isnt $999. Im sure there will be a price drop in some months to come.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
The Yoga at Best Buy is a i5. Its hardly too big IMO. Same size as my MacBook. Ill get one someday but when it isnt $999. Im sure there will be a price drop in some months to come.

Interesting that Lenovo direct's $999 model is only an i3. Makes it even worse a comparison with an iPad.

It's about half a pound heavier than the MBA 13" and a full pound heavier than the 11" MBA, and feels quite a bit thicker, even though it really isn't.

B

Vegastouch

macrumors 603
Jul 12, 2008
Las Vegas, NV
Interesting that Lenovo direct's $999 model is only an i3. Makes it even worse a comparison with an iPad.

It's about half a pound heavier than the MBA 13" and a full pound heavier than the 11" MBA, and feels quite a bit thicker, even though it really isn't.

B

It is an exclusive to Best Buy so they are selling it for $999 and at first advertised it for $200 off. I guess they are keeping that price but still too much for me.
I think the Yoga feels thin but I don't have a Mac Air and i do think those are flimsy feeling. I never had an interest in the Mac Air because of that.

Last edited:

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
It is an exclusive to Best Buy so they are selling it for $999 and at first advertised it for $200 off. Guys they are keeping that price but still too much for me.
I think it feels thin but I don't have a Air and i do think those are flimsy feeling. I never had an interest in the Mac Air.

teardrop mba are solid.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
teardrop mba are solid.

Like the iPad, solid without the heft. I love my MBA 13". The iPhone 5 is the first Apple product in a while that may go too far in that direction for me. It just feels too light. Still solid, but I preferred the iPhone 4/4S weight in my hand.

B

b166er

macrumors 68020
Apr 17, 2010
Philly
I had a lumia 920 for a couple weeks and I really miss it. I think Windows phone 8 is awesome, but there were just a few crucial things missing and that's why I couldn't make the switch.

Some apps I really do need are just not there yet. The google presence beyond gmail is non existent. The browser always went to the desktop version of the site (yes I had "go to mobile" selected in my settings).

I really miss the live tiles, the "me" tile, the way notifications worked, and I really miss how skype was handled VS any other platform I've used.

If a few apps I need become available I would probably ditch my iPhone for good. But if not, It looks like I might go android once my upgrade comes. Plenty of time for WP8 developers to put out some quality stuff though so we'll see.

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
I had a lumia 920 for a couple weeks and I really miss it. I think Windows phone 8 is awesome, but there were just a few crucial things missing and that's why I couldn't make the switch.

Some apps I really do need are just not there yet. The google presence beyond gmail is non existent. The browser always went to the desktop version of the site (yes I had "go to mobile" selected in my settings).

I really miss the live tiles, the "me" tile, the way notifications worked, and I really miss how skype was handled VS any other platform I've used.

If a few apps I need become available I would probably ditch my iPhone for good. But if not, It looks like I might go android once my upgrade comes. Plenty of time for WP8 developers to put out some quality stuff though so we'll see.

I was really really interested in the lumia 920 but for some reason all the hype banished, i want to explore windows phone 8 in the future to have a clear mind.

furam90

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Jun 15, 2010

B

Naw, the 999 model which I bought has an i5, not i3.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
Just got a Lenovo Ideapad Yoga and let me just say after getting the hang of Windows 8, it absolutely puts iOS to shame, it feels like I've finally joined the 21st century.

Windows 8 is much more fluid to the touch, everything is integrated perfectly, and the customization is so much better. In comparison, iOS is stale, lacking in fluidity, and feels like a cage garden. Never knew what I was missing until now- its shocking.

Once Windows 8 gets more apps they will be a big force; apple better step up its game.
Here's something to think about: It's actually a genius move by MS if it pays off. If you have Windows 8 desktop (and most everyone will), you already now how to use Windows 8 Phone. You will gravitate towards it naturally.

Metro is truely a new, useful and exiting new OS. Something that the 5+ year old iOS can't claim.

I was only mildly interested in W8 phone, but now that I have W8 desktop (and really like it), it will be a natural progression to go Windows 8 Phone.

mattopotamus

macrumors G5
Jun 12, 2012
I am shocked anyone likes windows 8. I feel like it will go the way of vista....maybe on a tablet it is good, but with a desktop metro is useless.

balamw

Moderator emeritus
Aug 16, 2005
New England
I am shocked anyone likes windows 8. I feel like it will go the way of vista....maybe on a tablet it is good, but with a desktop metro is useless.

FWIW I have W8 on my desktop and use it similarly to how I use Dashboard on OS X. In fact it's kind of like Dashboard+Launchpad(which I don't use).

B

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.