Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Digital Skunk

macrumors G3
Dec 23, 2006
In my imagination
yeah i would skip the retina macs.. not worth the extra money at this time

Maybe for the 13" but even that machine's screen is just beautiful to work on. $1700 for a machine with integrated GPU is a bit much to swallow (for some) regardless of resolution.

The 15" rMBP is just about where the 17" MBP was before they axed it. Now, if you were talking about a killer mobile workstation then sure, but then you are making a drastic shift in weight.

agenda893

macrumors regular
Jul 17, 2004
Update the Adobe Application Manager to the latest version (6.2), and everything should be updating as it should.

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloads/detail.jsp?ftpID=4774

THANK YOU. I tried downloading from adobe direct and had no luck, same error that update wasn't for me. After I updated Adobe Application Manager things upgraded fine from in the app. Everything looks so much better (minus the photoshop icon on my dock being blank, will reboot and see if it comes back).

MacRumors is now 2 for 2. First I couldn't get the retina update for office to work until I read the work around in the forums here. Now CS6 was the same thing.

beestigbeestje

macrumors regular
May 17, 2007
Belgium
Dank u! Thanks!

I don't think I quite understand it yet though ;).
In your above example, is the PS canvas 100px or 200px?
And how is a 100px canvas displayed in PS? With 200 'retina' pixels, or 100 'retina' pixels (e.g. smaller then another screen)?

100px file in canvas (true pixels) is only 50px (scaled) in the rMBP PS screen canvas, so it's way smaller to see it. You have to make twice the canvas size to make it regular for retina and then /2 for regular dpi.
If you want to test it for yourself, you can download a trial from adobe.com
good luck!

----------

I hardly ever use save for web.

As a test i created 1024x768/72 canvas, this was quite small... when i save this (save as) on retina it will come out as 512x384 ? and on non-retina it will display normal. So to accomodate for retina i need to create my documents at 2048x1536px/72 .. when i save this on retina it will give me 1024x768px, but on non-retina it will be twice the size (2048x1536px) .. to over come this i just need to set the size of the image on the web so that it displays correctly?

Do we keep the resolution at 72?

What about background images, we can only use background-size in IE9+ so thats not a viable solution.

I try to keep image use low and use CSS where possible so i'm hoping it's not going to be a major issue.

Finally, what about print? If i create an A4 poster at 210x297mm/300, is this exactly what i'm getting?

Printing stays the same. keep the resolution at 72dpi, adjust image size. Just point it out in css which image to use. The regular or the 2x retina size. Can't comment on IE9.

AndyDiamond

macrumors 6502
Jul 12, 2004
The Black Lodge
I'm digging the updates - vector graphics in Illustrator are like printed pages - awesome.

Now if someone can revive Freehand for 10.8 and Retina display I would be very happy...

QuarkXpress please.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Don't update Adobe Application Manager with a patch from Adobe's website. Hope this helps :)

Thanks but sh** I updated the AAM. :( Do I need a re-install?

Update: Fixed by completely removing CS 6 including the Adobe folders in Library and User Library. Then installed again and activated it offline.

Last edited:

bizzaregood

macrumors regular
Aug 31, 2008
MA, US
Ugh. I can't get it working! :(

BTW, anyone hating on the RMBP has probably never used one.

Edit: Not applicable to me. YES IT IS ADOBE, I PAY YOU GUYS AND HAVE A RMBP :(

Edit #2: Okay guys, in Photoshop go into "Help" / "Updates ..."

This is the only way to get it working and lemme say, it's well worth it.

Does not work for me :( . Going to try Updating the updater..(?) i Guess

----------

If you're having problems getting the update on applications acquired through unsavoury means, try reinstalling the applications, and immediately updating them as soon as they're installed. Then replace the amt.framework file after the update (your second time doing it). Don't update Adobe Application Manager with a patch from Adobe's website. Hope this helps :)

Dont get why you say to replace the amt.framework file... unless this is due to your means to make it run. Ill reinstall if I have to but I want to try the update to the updater first

Thanks everyone

Northgrove

macrumors 65816
Aug 3, 2010
The Retina MBP is the best laptop that I've had the pleasure to use and a bit like a dream laptop for me. It ticks all boxes while also running my favorite OS right now, especially with Windows 8 on the horizon. The Windows future looks so bleak right now, for my tastes. Going there would be like buying myself into something that I didn't believe in. But I'm hoping for Adobe to get Lightroom 4.3 done now. I've moved to a Lightroom <-> Alien Skin Exposure / Silver Efex Pro workflow for my photography needs. Having Retina support throughout Lightroom would be fantastic.

ibd

macrumors member
Apr 12, 2008
Hopefully they get Lightroom updated by the time I get a retina display.

their newest release candidate has retina support already, you can find the download quickly on google. Have fun! :)

peterbanks

macrumors newbie
Feb 18, 2009
Originally Posted by thaweesak
Update the Adobe Application Manager to the latest version (6.2), and everything should be updating as it should.

http://www.adobe.com/support/downloa...jsp?ftpID=4774

THANK YOU. I tried downloading from adobe direct and had no luck, same error that update wasn't for me. After I updated Adobe Application Manager things upgraded fine from in the app. Everything looks so much better.

This worked for me as well. I was having the same issues as above and downloading the Application Manager (6.2) solved it.

Thank you.

Badagri

macrumors 6502a
Aug 9, 2012
UK
Sure enough, a "Lightroom Update Available" dialog popped up just now with HiDPI support as the first thing in the change log. I don't need it yet, but it's nice that 4.3 is out already for those with MBRs.

What are the other updates though?

Corrections and bug fixes for issues introduced in previous versions of Lightroom.

wmarkusen

macrumors newbie
Aug 9, 2012
If only the update worked properly on my MBP.

Updated Photoshop and Illustrator on my MBP, yet the interfaces are still choppy and pixellated. Several hours on the phone over the past two days with Adobe and they still have not managed to help me resolve the issue.

If only I had a retina MBP to utilize the new update...

beestigbeestje

macrumors regular
May 17, 2007
Belgium
If only the update worked properly on my MBP.

Updated Photoshop and Illustrator on my MBP, yet the interfaces are still choppy and pixellated. Several hours on the phone over the past two days with Adobe and they still have not managed to help me resolve the issue.

I downloaded from adobe.com fresh and then had to do 2 updates afterwards before it managed to go retina.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.