Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

dukenukem3d.jpg
GOG.com, the classic PC game store, is giving away Duke Nukem 3D free for a limited time. Duke Nukem 3D was one of the most revolutionary games of its time, pushing boundaries of tastefulness, obscenity and nudity within a video game.

This particular version is the Atomic Edition of the game includes bonus episodes, new weapons and enemies. It also supports a number of fan made mods.
Duke Nukem, the politically incorrect celebrity and ultimate alien ass kicker, defends Earth and its babes from alien invasion.

He is a can-do hero who realizes that sometimes innocent people have to die in order to save Earth, so accuracy of gun fire is not a real concern to him. This is the award winning game that helped define the FPS genre and introduced unparalleled interactivity and a talking main character.
Duke Nukem 3D is a scant 35MB and requires Snow Leopard or above. The game is available free through Friday December 14th..

Article Link: GOG.com Offering Classic FPS Duke Nukem 3D For Free

Even Longer

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2012
Heidelberg
1. -> 2. -> 3. -> 4.

1. "Your face, your ass, - what's the difference?!"

2. "You're an inspiration for birth control"

3. "Hmm, don't have time to play with myself."

4. "You wanna dance?"

...unforgettable 1996

Last edited:

LethalWolfe

macrumors G3
Jan 11, 2002
Los Angeles
I probably still have an original boxed copy of the Atomic Edition someplace but I might have to grab this just for the 113 free Duke ring tones!:p

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
I never played this until it came out on iPad. Weird.

The cheesy graphics only served to make me miss Descent more.

ckeck

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2005
Texas
It's time for me to kick some ass and chew some bubble gum...and no, I'm NOT all out of gum either. Plenty of both on the way!

Thanks GOG!

RoelJuun

macrumors 6502
Aug 31, 2010
Netherlands
A shame you can't change the controls. I'd like to strafe, the keys are somewhat nasty placed though.

You can save at any time though, so it's still more modern than so many of the ****** consol crap games of today.

bradl

macrumors 603
Jun 16, 2008
5. "Shake it, baby!"

6. "Damn.. I'm lookin' GOOOOODD!"

7. "It's time to kick ass and chew bubblegum... and I'm all out of gum."

8. "Damn. Those alien b******s are gonna pay for shootin' up my ride!"

9. "Damn! That's the second time those alien b******s shot up my ride!"

And my personal favourite....

10. "This is KTIT! KTIT! playing the breast....errr... the best tunes in town!"

Love that game. I'm all over this like fat tick on a lazy dog when I get home tonight.

BL.

Last edited:

ArtOfWarfare

macrumors G3
Nov 26, 2007
I bought this for $5 for my iPhone a few years ago... Controls made it completely unplayable. For free on my Mac I guess I'll give it another shot. My parents didn't neglect me, they made me play the relatively mild Doom (loved that, by the way.)

crazy dave

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2010
Deal Ends on Friday Dec 14th 14:59 GMT

http://www.gog.com/news/holiday_gift_duke_nukem_3d_pcmac

The article you linked to has the end date wrong. The GOG winter sale ends Jan. 3rd, but this is a special promotion ending earlier.

They also have another special promotion (not free, but even higher discount for the bundle) on on classic Bullfrog games (Syndicate, Dungeon Keeper, Theme Hospital, Magic Carpet, etc ...), many of which have Mac versions without needing to port them yourself (Boxer-DOSBox).

http://www.gog.com/promo/bullfrog_favourites

Sale ends in roughly 12 hours.

----------

I played this game as a kid. Man, the graphics look so horrible on a 27" screen.

There is an open source engine called "eDuke" which might improve things:

http://eduke32.com/

Caveat: I've not used it myself.

Phishphan79

macrumors newbie
Jul 13, 2008
I used to play DOOM all the time with my buddies on a dial-up 14.4 modem. Those were the good ol days!

iMikeT

macrumors 68020
Jul 8, 2006
California
I'll be sure to get this before the January 3rd deadline. This game brings back so many memories. :D

But what's up with the heavy system requirements for both Mac and Windows?

Minimum system requirements: Windows XP or Windows Vista, 1.8 GHz Processor, 512MB RAM (1 GB recommended), 3D graphics card compatible with DirectX 7 (compatible with DirectX 9 recommended), 2GB HDD, Mouse, Keyboard.

Minimum system requirements (Mac): OS X 10.6.8 or later. Processor: Intel Core Duo 2GHz+ Memory: 1GB of RAM Graphics: 64MB of video memory

Practically 2GHz CPU and 1GB of RAM for both systems! :eek: I remember the Win 95 beige box that I installed Duke Nukem 3D on as a kid didn't have anything close to that and it ran the game just fine. It was something like a 200MHz Pentium II CPU, 128MB of RAM, a 1MB GPU, and less than 1GB HDD. :eek: I still have my original Duke Nukem 3D box and disk somewhere. I should dig it out and post it up on here! :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.