Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

GuitarDTO

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2011
And I hope it doesn't pass committee.

Seriously, I don't get why we have to have our laptops/tablets/etc. on at all times. Are we that desperate for a fix?

Agree completely. We are all turning into electronics zombies. Our youth is losing the ability to effectively communicate in person because the only way they know how is from behind a screen. OMG can't use my iPad during takeoff!!!$#$# Guy next to me is reading a book no fair@#@$#$#$!!!@ Get over it people.

WardC

macrumors 68030
Oct 17, 2007
Fort Worth, TX
Haven't you ever heard the interference that a cellular phone can cause with electronic speakers? For this reason, the FAA wants ALL Cellular and Radio-transmission equipped devices turned off, when RADIO COMMUNICATION from the tower to the cockpit is vital, and necessary to ensure the safety of the flight.

If an Airplane radio transmission receives too much interference, and is inaudibe to the pilots, the pilots might miss a runway or hit another plane. You DON'T WANT THAT HAPPENING!!!

burnside

macrumors 6502
Jun 8, 2010
This is about turning it off during take-off and landing. Passing time during a flight, that's fine. But if you need on the entire duration of the flight, and you cannot handle being without it for the 30 or so minutes that take-off and landing take up, something's wrong with you.

I have work to do on my flights and this additional time would be greatly appreciated. Stop judging people.

----------

Agree completely. We are all turning into electronics zombies. Our youth is losing the ability to effectively communicate in person because the only way they know how is from behind a screen. OMG can't use my iPad during takeoff!!!$#$# Guy next to me is reading a book no fair@#@$#$#$!!!@ Get over it people.

So a person reading a newspaper is fine, but reading news on an iPad or eReader OH NO!!! We're zombies! ARRRRRRRRRR!

skystuntz

macrumors newbie
So much interference.

Ipad_cockpit.jpeg

ipad-in-cockpit.jpg

ipad-in-cockpit_sm.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Exactly. That is what the senator is saying. If they give me a good enough reason why it is imperative that the devices are off, then fine. Til then, I'd rather leave my devices on and not read Skymall.

Bingo. If a cell phone could take down a plane, don't you think Al Qaeda would've figured that out by now? Wouldn't the TSA be confiscating them at the checkpoint (well, legally confiscating them, since we all know some of them have sticky fingers)? I want a reason why we have to turn them off - something better than "We've always done it that way". If experts can prove that a plane of 150 people listening to music and reading Kindles can crash a plane, then I will gladly shut up about it.

ckeck

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2005
Texas
And I hope it doesn't pass committee.

Seriously, I don't get why we have to have our laptops/tablets/etc. on at all times. Are we that desperate for a fix?

What does this have to do with anything? The fact that I can't even put my iPad in airplane mode and continue reading one of my ebooks while everyone around me with a paper book can continue about their business is flat out ridiculous.

I'm not desperate for an internet connection but why the hell should I have to lose 20-30 minutes of GOOD reading time because of stupid rules that don't solve for anything? So wasteful.

burnout8488

macrumors 6502a
May 8, 2011
Endwell, NY
But if you need on the entire duration of the flight, and you cannot handle being without it for the 30 or so minutes that take-off and landing take up, something's wrong with you.

If someone flies a lot, I can imagine this gets pretty annoying having to wait to start their movie/e-book/game every time for seemingly no apparent reason. I keep to myself on flights, and don't disturb people with my electronic devices. (Definitely no VOIP)

plughie

macrumors newbie
Jul 22, 2010
Sunny California
Metal and glass missiles

I feel safer having devices stowed during takeoff and landing, as these are the riskiest times for plane crashes. I don't see a problem with keeping an mp3 player in a pants pocket, but I'd rather not have an ipad flying through the cabin on sudden deceleration.

Patriot24

macrumors 68030
Dec 29, 2010
California
Haven't you ever heard the interference that a cellular phone can cause with electronic speakers? For this reason, the FAA wants ALL Cellular and Radio-transmission equipped devices turned off, when RADIO COMMUNICATION from the tower to the cockpit is vital, and necessary to ensure the safety of the flight.

If an Airplane radio transmission receives too much interference, and is inaudibe to the pilots, the pilots might miss a runway or hit another plane. You DON'T WANT THAT HAPPENING!!!

If a simple cell phone can interfere with communication and cause a real problem for the safety of the flight, then the airline technology industry has a lot of work to do.

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO

That's what flight mode is for.

And whenever one gets that speaker interference, all they have to do is move their phone a few feet away from the speaker. The only person who could get close enough to the radio headphones/mic to cause interference is the pilot, and they have more important stuff to be doing than sending a text.

hackhelpless

macrumors newbie
Aug 27, 2010
Wrong with me??

This is about turning it off during take-off and landing. Passing time during a flight, that's fine. But if you need on the entire duration of the flight, and you cannot handle being without it for the 30 or so minutes that take-off and landing take up, something's wrong with you.

Personally I find taking off and landing to be the most stressful times of the flight. Nothing is wrong with me for wanting to close my eyes and listen to Radiohead during this part of the flight. I usually turn off my ipad/iphone when i'm not using it while flying, anyway. Battery management yo!

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
I feel safer having devices stowed during takeoff and landing, as these are the riskiest times for plane crashes. I don't see a problem with keeping an mp3 player in a pants pocket, but I'd rather not have an ipad flying through the cabin on sudden deceleration.

Funny - no one ever says the same thing about thick, hardcover books that people can have out during takeoff and landing. Or unrestrained lap children. I'd rather be smacked in the back of the head by an iPod than a baby.

onigami

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2008
I have work to do on my flights and this additional time would be greatly appreciated. Stop judging people.

No, I will. You couldn't just plan your time accordingly? You knew well that this was going to happen, so you should take measures to take that into consideration (start your work earlier at the airport, or plan on fixing up stuff after touching down) rather than begging for extra time. The additional time is for procrastinators. There's nothing that proper planning and organization of time could not fix.

Ubele

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2008

But if there is indeed absolutely no risk from having these devices on during take-off and landing, then why are you against the idea of people using them? Sure, people can live without having their devices on for 30 minutes, but I don't see the point of rules that have no purpose. It would be equally absurd if the FAA prohibited you from reading a magazine during take-off and landing. Having to fasten your seatbelt, on the other hand, makes sense. Granted, this isn't an issue of monumental importance, but there have been times when I was reading something engrossing on my iPad and would have liked to continue for a few more minutes. I don't fly often, but if I did, I can see how this issue might be more important to me.

bretm

macrumors 68000
Apr 12, 2002

So now you're a judge of when a device should be permitted and a persons mental integrity? We generally try to side on the side of personal freedom in this country. Or at least we did. If its not harming someone else or infringing on heir rights, leave it be. Maybe I don't like your choice of magazine. Do ou really need to be reading that all the time? I think you have a problem. I think you are drinking too much too. Shouldn't you have a different hair cut?

onigami

macrumors member
Jan 11, 2008
Personally I find taking off and landing to be the most stressful times of the flight. Nothing is wrong with me for wanting to close my eyes and listen to Radiohead during this part of the flight. I usually turn off my ipad/iphone when i'm not using it while flying, anyway. Battery management yo!

Okay, that's a more reasonable argument, but one of the minority. Not a lot of people stress out at those times in particular. But still, you make a somewhat valid case.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
Who said people have them on all the time? Perhaps somebody will want to use a device as a pass time, like on a flight....

It's only during the take off & landing though, isn't it? You're free to use them once you reach cruising altitude, where you'll stay for however many boring hours the flight takes - But why do you need to use them for the short time the plane is taking off? Just look at the window and watch the cool view of the world disappearing below you :cool:

yg17

macrumors Pentium
Aug 1, 2004
St. Louis, MO
Okay, that's a more reasonable argument, but one of the minority. Not a lot of people stress out at those times in particular. But still, you make a somewhat valid case.

Really? Everyone I know who has a fear of flying is most scared of takeoffs and landings, and rightly so, those arguably are the most dangerous parts of flying.

aa909

macrumors newbie
Sep 11, 2008
a few observations and comments:

1) The claim that devices can only be used in "airplane mode" during the flight is in direct conflict with the fact that you are some how allowed to use your wireless connection to connect to the onboard wi-fi. hmmmmmmmmm, so you are to stay in "airplane mode" unless the airline can charge you a fee? then it's somehow safe.

2) A stewardess told me the "rules" regarding turning off cell phones and ipods or other music devices during take off and landing was primarily to ensure that no one was distracted (ie telephone call or ear buds) and could hear the take off and landing instructions. It is purely legal CYA just in case there is an emergency which results in passenger injury, hence if a passenger was unable to hear the directions due to either a loud chatty phone call or ear buds they could claim the airline was legally liable because they didn't clearly communicate the emergency procedures

3) Myth Buster had an episode where they attempted to simulate something like 200 cell phones and their impact on the flight instruments. zip, nada, zero impact. They even amplified the signal and IIRC even at significantly elevated levels beyond what you would experience on any flight there was zero impact on the flight instruments

As a business traveler who flies 100 flights a year I think this Senator is finally coming to our (my) rescue. There is no impact using an iPad or e-reader to read the WSJ during take off or landing, and I've kept my cell phone, iPad and computer on the entire time during 400 flights in the past 4 years :eek:. and I'm sure my fellow business travelers do the same.

Finally, if these devices were in any way a serious concern in terms of their impact on flight computers, they would force you lock them away in your luggage and NEVER take them out during flight. I mean how could they take the risk of a plane crash if some dummy kept his cell phone, iPad and computer on during the entire flight :D

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.