Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Furifo

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2010
To be fair, he never said he didn't notice it. Have you ever run on a treadmill? An iPhone hanging from your ears will easily bounce around 20+ times in a matter of seconds going 7mph. Anyway, most treadmills these days are coated in rubber and plastic. Banging around on that isn't what surprises me. Im shocked there were no scuffs after being launched off the belt.

My thoughts exactly.

VulchR

macrumors 68040
Jun 8, 2009
Scotland
Those that have reported dropping a new, expensive iPhone multiple times during its short life might want to be checked out by a neurologist. Just sayin'.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
To be fair, he never said he didn't notice it. Have you ever run on a treadmill? An iPhone hanging from your ears will easily bounce around 20+ times in a matter of seconds going 7mph. Anyway, most treadmills these days are coated in rubber and plastic. Banging around on that isn't what surprises me. Im shocked there were no scuffs after being launched off the belt.
Well, the one thing the 5 has going for it, is it's so light you might not notice it fall and when it does, it doesn't hit very hard because it's so light.

Still, the OPs story flys (no pun intended) in the face of all the other reports of how delicate the 5 is. I say lucky bounce. :)

hgrimberg

macrumors 6502a
Dec 2, 2012
I did a 1500ft drop test with my iPhone 5 using a rocket and it survived the fall with no more than a cracked screen... :)

I'll try that myself. Did you use scotch tape to tie it up to the rocket? I'll use the scotch tape on the screen to protect it.

Katanae

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2010
I didn't have a scratch on my 4 for 2 years but I somehow managed to put about 4 large scratches on the screen on my 5 already even though I handled it the same way. I also got a huge ding on top of the phone when It fell from a few inches on a sharp metal edge. I am not complaining though, this was surely my fault.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I believe he said it landed on the TILE floor didn't he?

Slid onto the tiles, not landed. We have a wood floor in our gym, but each treadmill sits on top of a mat which is maybe 5-6 inches on either side of the machine. I am just saying, if it landed just right, I don't doubt the story is true.

LapsangSouchong

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2010
the burrows
Slid onto the tiles, not landed. We have a wood floor in our gym, but each treadmill sits on top of a mat which is maybe 5-6 inches on either side of the machine. I am just saying, if it landed just right, I don't doubt the story is true.
Okay, slid. I still think it's pretty good, for a naked iPhone, and wonder why people are posting such doubt. Why would someone make this up?

When MINE (ip4s) flew off the treadmill it landed well past the little mat. my otterbox cracked. My iphone was fine.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Okay, slid. I still think it's pretty good, for a naked iPhone, and wonder why people are posting such doubt. Why would someone make this up?

When MINE (ip4s) flew off the treadmill it landed well past the little mat. my otterbox cracked. My iphone was fine.

It's the internet. People post doubt about everything. That is why I walk around video taping my life. This way, if something cool happens, I can post proof of it for all the naysayers. :D

In all seriousness though, this single instance isn't proof that the iPhone 5 is any more or less durable than any other device. Hell, people are seeing it bend in their back pockets. And while I wouldn't recommending sitting on ANY phone, this phone is the first I have heard of with that problem.

LapsangSouchong

macrumors 65816
Jul 15, 2010
the burrows
It's the internet. People post doubt about everything. That is why I walk around video taping my life. This way, if something cool happens, I can post proof of it for all the naysayers. :D

In all seriousness though, this single instance isn't proof that the iPhone 5 is any more or less durable than any other device. Hell, people are seeing it bend in their back pockets. And while I wouldn't recommending sitting on ANY phone, this phone is the first I have heard of with that problem.

Nope, I will keep mine in its case, thanks. Wonder if that would help with bending.:cool:

Just marveling once again at how folks choose to reply.

the "pics or it aint true" meme isn't my favorite I guess.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.