Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

FlashFlare11

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2012
It's part-time, yes, but reading this thread leads me to believe that sometimes they make you work up to 40 hours during busy times. Also, the 20 hours a week isn't flexible (e.g. you sit down when you're not busy and crank them out). They'll give you a schedule for say, Tuesdays, Thursdays and Saturdays between certain hours (5:00am-11:30pm CST) and if you have a class during those hours you're SOL. The hours you work are set by Apple and are good for 90 days, and then they rotate them.

Obviously I don't work there, but from what I can tell it's not for those who need flexible scheduling. My guess is during your interview you should bring up that you're a full-time on campus student at the beginning and see what they say.

Again, thank you!

A schedule, such as the one you included as an example, is exactly what I was expecting (and hoping for). I will bring it up during the interview because I would hate for them to hire me only to later find out that I'm of little use to them.

macguy2819

macrumors newbie
Jan 3, 2012
Again, thank you!

A schedule, such as the one you included as an example, is exactly what I was expecting (and hoping for). I will bring it up during the interview because I would hate for them to hire me only to later find out that I'm of little use to them.

Can you private message me? I have some info I'd like to share with you. I've added you as a friend on the board.

IceFire

macrumors member
Oct 24, 2012
For students, if you apply through the student website, they are flexible with your school schedule and build your work schedule around that.

http://www.apple.com/jobs/us/students.html#aha_college

They do have a short list though of schools that they work with.

For the one that most of us are talking about, you are expected to work anytime between 5:00am-11:30pm CST. You are also required to work one full shift on a weekend day and be required to flex up to a full time 40 hour shift during busy times such as holidays and new product launches. This might be problematic for a student, so it's something to think about.

AngryGerbil

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2012
For students, if you apply through the student website, they are flexible with your school schedule and build your work schedule around that.

http://www.apple.com/jobs/us/students.html#aha_college

They do have a short list though of schools that they work with.

For the one that most of us are talking about, you are expected to work anytime between 5:00am-11:30pm CST. You are also required to work one full shift on a weekend day and be required to flex up to a full time 40 hour shift during busy times such as holidays and new product launches. This might be problematic for a student, so it's something to think about.

If you're going into a regular AHA (not student) plan your budget for part time, plan your schedule for full time. As a newbie, chances are you'll be working evenings and your schedule is pretty much written in stone for 6 months. Anyone coming on board now will miss the 2 overtime weeks during the holiday and my guess is we'll all be going back to 20 hours in Jan. Not sure about CPU, they seem to have more regular full time ppl than iOS.

macrobatt

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2012
wow what a long process

I know they must be swamped with applications. I know some people get answers back right away after the questionnaire. I suppose i should just be happy i haven't gotten the thanks for playing email yet. :confused:

techsrus

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2012
I know they must be swamped with applications. I know some people get answers back right away after the questionnaire. I suppose i should just be happy i haven't gotten the thanks for playing email yet. :confused:

do they send rejection emails before interviewing?

macrobatt

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2012
do they send rejection emails before interviewing?

from what I've read on this thread they will usually send a rejection email if your not selected to move on the next step of the process. Just hoping i don't get to see one of them personally.

techsrus

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2012
from what I've read on this thread they will usually send a rejection email if your not selected to move on the next step of the process. Just hoping i don't get to see one of them personally.

oh. i applied but have not gotten any type of reply. as of today, 2 weeks have passed. i may resubmit an application

thank you (and everyone here) for the information :)

macrobatt

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2012
oh. i applied but have not gotten any type of reply. as of today, 2 weeks have passed. i may resubmit an application

thank you (and everyone here) for the information :)

No problem looking at the time lines others have posted it can take a while to get a response. i applied to several in middle of last month and just got the questionnaire a few days ago.

KarenRD

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2012
Process...

No problem looking at the time lines others have posted it can take a while to get a response. i applied to several in middle of last month and just got the questionnaire a few days ago.

:) I submitted to ALL Apps for the AHA position and after several received a call and was advised I may hear back in a few weeks. Are you guys referring to the questionnaire right after submitting the application on apple.com OR is this a completely different questionnaire ( Which I haven't received yet)? :confused: Thanks!

macrobatt

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2012
:) I submitted to ALL Apps for the AHA position and after several received a call and was advised I may hear back in a few weeks. Are you guys referring to the questionnaire right after submitting the application on apple.com OR is this a completely different questionnaire ( Which I haven't received yet)? :confused: Thanks!

Im talking about the 11 question one you get after sending your application in.:D :apple:

KarenRD

macrumors newbie
Dec 6, 2012
Strange

Im talking about the 11 question one you get after sending your application in.:D :apple:

Ok, so I guess that's something I haven't received yet - Wonder how long it takes to get that... And why I would get a call before receiving the questionairre? Strange... :)

VA-Enthusiast

macrumors regular
Jun 13, 2012
30 is on the high side for an average 8 hour day. My average in iOS for an 8 hour shift is mid twenties, the team average is low 20's. I can tell you that the number of calls you complete is the last thing they look at. In terms of importance it goes csats first, then schedule adherence, then logging, then finally AHT. Too, you don't want a really high escalation rate and you also want at least a few APP attachments as well. Keep your csats high and they'll give you a little more flexibility with other metrics.

Hit my 90 days a little while ago and now shopping for a heavily discounted MBP :D

Wow! How time flies! Glad to see you and some others are hanging in there. As for me, I threw my hat in the ring and went back into the consulting field. Apple is an excellent company to work for! Enjoy the experience!

FlashFlare11

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2012
So, a bit of an update:

I spoke with the recruiter via Skype and was very upfront with her about my school situation. He was very kind in telling me that the position wasn't a fit for my schedule but that should I ever try for another position, he'd happily help out. Not the outcome I would have liked, but one that couldn't be helped and an overall positive experience.

I've decided to apply for Apple Retail Store positions in Philadelphia and the suburbs instead and campus rep positions.

With that said, I thank everyone who went out of their way to help me and those who inadvertently did so by posting here. It really was a great aid and I really appreciate it!

AngryGerbil

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2012
Wow! How time flies! Glad to see you and some others are hanging in there. As for me, I threw my hat in the ring and went back into the consulting field. Apple is an excellent company to work for! Enjoy the experience!

Apple is in fact a great company to work for... As for the job itself, I hate every minute of it. I've been in tech for over 20 years and this is entry level customer service. I'm used to working with servers not iPod owners that can't log into iTunes. I've got some of the best stats in our group but I absolutely dread putting on that headset.

After the 2 holiday hell weeks are over and we're back to 20 hours per week I'm really going to focus on getting a job that fits my background, AHA just isn't my thing.

macrobatt

macrumors regular
Dec 11, 2012
Apple is in fact a great company to work for... As for the job itself, I hate every minute of it. I've been in tech for over 20 years and this is entry level customer service. I'm used to working with servers not iPod owners that can't log into iTunes. I've got some of the best stats in our group but I absolutely dread putting on that headset.

After the 2 holiday hell weeks are over and we're back to 20 hours per week I'm really going to focus on getting a job that fits my background, AHA just isn't my thing.

Isn't there the possibility of moving over to the cpu side, or up?

apeonpatrol

macrumors member
Oct 7, 2012
I'm in CPU and just based on the test calls alone this job is still quite a bit of tech support. I know iOS is a totally different ball park though.

AngryGerbil

macrumors 6502a
Aug 26, 2012
Isn't there the possibility of moving over to the cpu side, or up?

After 6 months, yes. I can't see myself doing iOS for 6 months without ending up in a psych ward. The other thing is that the longer I do this, the rustier I get with managing networks. It is an income though and even if I'm not fond of it I do it to the best of my ability.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.