Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Iamjoshlee

macrumors member
Original poster
Oct 6, 2011
I currently own a Macbook Pro. I have some money to spend and am having deciding whether I want to spend on an iPad Mini or a new camera (NEX-5N). I love the idea of having something portable that I can get some news digest an reading in but I am also wanting to get in to photography. But that is besides the point.

What I am wanting to know is for those also who own a macbook, which do you find yourself using more? Would you say it it worth it to get a Mini if you already got yourself a laptop?

Kaylee Frye

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2012
Very different purposes in my opinion. My Macbook Pro stays home unless I'm going out of town for a couple of days. My iPhone is always with me no matter what, my iPad mini comes with me now most times.

It's the perfect size and weight to carry around in my purse. If I want to read, it's better than reading off the Macbook screen. Plus, I prefer the iOS skin for Google Reader over the desktop version anyway. iBooks is great and so is the Kindle app.

nehope

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2012
I have a rMBP, an iPad 3, and an iPad mini. They all serve different purposes, although if Apple ever does a retina screen on the mini, the iPad 3 is history. Anyway, the laptop and mini are too different to think there would be any crossover in purpose. My laptop is used extensively at work - I keep it there unless I'm going to be gone for a while. The iPads are all I really use at home for media consumption, browsing, games, etc.

SnowLeopard OSX

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2012
California
If photography is your biggest concern, definitely invest in the camera.

I have a rMBP, an iPad 3, and an iPad mini. They all serve different purposes, although if Apple ever does a retina screen on the mini, the iPad 3 is history. Anyway, the laptop and mini are too different to think there would be any crossover in purpose. My laptop is used extensively at work - I keep it there unless I'm going to be gone for a while. The iPads are all I really use at home for media consumption, browsing, games, etc.

iPad 3 and iPad mini serve the same exact purpose -- only one provides a little bit more portability than the other.

SnowLeopard OSX

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2012
California
They don't for me.

That's like saying iPod classic serves a different function than the iPod nano -- which it doesn't because they're both MP3 players.

It's not subjective, it's objective. The iPad and iPad mini are portable computers that run on the same OS with the same features, functions, applications, and capabilities... They serve the same purpose.

Now, one could argue that an iPod touch and an iPod classic DO NOT serve the same purpose, because one is a computer with mp3 capabilities while the other is a pure MP3 player..

But to argue that the iPad 3 and the iPad mini serve entirely different purposes is kind of silly. Perhaps what you meant is that you use each device for different things?

Chip NoVaMac

macrumors G3
Dec 25, 2003
Northern Virginia
Tough choice between the two for you....

I already have some great cameras. And have rMBP and a new mini that will replace my iPad 2 I think...

As a avid traveler I take the rMBP when I know that I want the power to do full edits of my pics when on the road. On all trips the iPad is with me as a web browser, and the mini will be a great addition to the camera bag....

Namtaro

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2011
When I had an iPad 3, I would bring it instead of my Macbook Pro if I knew in class I wouldn't need it, but it was either bring the iPad 2 or Macbook Pro, not both. Now that I got an iPad Mini, I'll bring it along with the Macbook Pro even if I don't need it since it's so light!

I even bring the iPad Mini when going out now since it so light that I don't notice it in my bag. :)

I still have the iPad 3 for home. The screen is fantastic for browsing the web and watching youtube videos while on the couch, but lately I've been using my iPad Mini more and more at home since it's much lighter. If the iPad Mini gets a retina screen next year, out goes the full iPad 3!

throAU

macrumors G3
Feb 13, 2012
Perth, Western Australia
Get the camera.

You can consume content on your macbook.

the iPad makes a crappy camera.

edit:
I find myself using the ipad (4, not a mini, but same thing essentially) when i'm not at a desk, but its only because i own it. if i wanted to get into photography i could easily make do without and get a camera instead.

S

syd430

If you want to get in to photography get an entry level DSLR, not a Nex-5

thelead

macrumors 6502a
Apr 30, 2010
That's like saying iPod classic serves a different function than the iPod nano -- which it doesn't because they're both MP3 players.

It's not subjective, it's objective. The iPad and iPad mini are portable computers that run on the same OS with the same features, functions, applications, and capabilities... They serve the same purpose.

Now, one could argue that an iPod touch and an iPod classic DO NOT serve the same purpose, because one is a computer with mp3 capabilities while the other is a pure MP3 player..

But to argue that the iPad 3 and the iPad mini serve entirely different purposes is kind of silly. Perhaps what you meant is that you use each device for different things?

Eh. I go jogging with my nano and wouldn't with an iPod classic. I would take an ipad mini places where I most likely wouldn't take the larger ipad, so they do technically serve different purposes. Portability should factor into the equation regardless of the redundancy in features.

urkel

macrumors 68030
Nov 3, 2008
Take away my iPad and I'm sad. Take away my MacBook and I'm screwed.

I use the iPad more but I feel the MacBook is more essential.

Jessica Lares

macrumors G3
Oct 31, 2009
Near Dallas, Texas, USA
I own both, and a Nikon. And I agree with everyone here, a camera and iPad are two different things.

I also agree that you should go with an entry level DSLR, and maybe even an older model. It's not an expensive hobby, but if you're going to buy the latest and greatest, it will be. Used camera gear is so much more worthwhile than spending $200 on a lens.

SnowLeopard OSX

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2012
California
When I had an iPad 3, I would bring it instead of my Macbook Pro if I knew in class I wouldn't need it, but it was either bring the iPad 2 or Macbook Pro, not both. Now that I got an iPad Mini, I'll bring it along with the Macbook Pro even if I don't need it since it's so light!

I even bring the iPad Mini when going out now since it so light that I don't notice it in my bag. :)

I still have the iPad 3 for home. The screen is fantastic for browsing the web and watching youtube videos while on the couch, but lately I've been using my iPad Mini more and more at home since it's much lighter. If the iPad Mini gets a retina screen next year, out goes the full iPad 3!

I'm confused... if a retina display iPad mini comes out next year, you'll get rid of your iPad 3, but keep your non-retina display iPad mini and a retina display mini - leaving you with two iPad minis?

Also, if you have a laptop, don't you think you would be better off selling your iPad 3? If your iPad 3 would be a "home only" device, why not replace that and use your MBP instead?

Eh. I go jogging with my nano and wouldn't with an iPod classic. I would take an ipad mini places where I most likely wouldn't take the larger ipad, so they do technically serve different purposes. Portability should factor into the equation regardless of the redundancy in features.

Unless you use your iPad nano for something other than listening to music, then you can't really claim that they serve different purposes. Do you do different things while listening to the music? Sure, but they still serve the same purpose - that being playing music.

Namtaro

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2011
I'm confused... if a retina display iPad mini comes out next year, you'll get rid of your iPad 3, but keep your non-retina display iPad mini and a retina display mini - leaving you with two iPad minis?

Also, if you have a laptop, don't you think you would be better off selling your iPad 3? If your iPad 3 would be a "home only" device, why not replace that and use your MBP instead?

Regular iPad Mini would obviously go along with the iPad 3 if a retina iPad Mini were to come out.

Laying on the couch with an iPad for light browsing is much better than holding a Macbook Pro awkwardly.

SnowLeopard OSX

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2012
California
Regular iPad Mini would obviously go along with the iPad 3 if a retina iPad Mini were to come out.

Laying on the couch with an iPad for light browsing is much better than holding a Macbook Pro awkwardly.

Uh... okay? MBPs aren't exactly the bulkiest things around, and not very hard to carry around -- even the 17''... but to each his own, I suppose.

jk4lebron23

macrumors 65816
Apr 6, 2010
Nashville,TN
Uh... okay? MBPs aren't exactly the bulkiest things around, and not very hard to carry around -- even the 17''... but to each his own, I suppose.

Go lay on your couch and try to hold your MBP and then pick up your iPad and see which one is easier...it's so much easier to hold an iPad laying down

Namtaro

macrumors regular
Dec 4, 2011

Would you put a Macbook Pro on your chest while laying down on a couch or hold an iPad instead?

SnowLeopard OSX

macrumors 6502a
Dec 5, 2012
California
Go lay on your couch and try to hold your MBP and then pick up your iPad and see which one is easier...it's so much easier to hold an iPad laying down

Yeah, but most people aren't willing to dish out an extra 600+ dollars for an iPad solely based on the fact that you can pick it up a little bit easier than an already-light laptop while on the couch -- they invest in iPads for intraday/travel portability. If your iPad is a "home only" device, you're better off sticking with an iPad mini (for travel) and a MBP (for home) as opposed to a MBP, iPad mini, and an iPad.

Would you put a Macbook Pro on your chest while laying down on a couch or hold an iPad instead?

They're called laptops for a reason, not chesttops :D And yes, I own a 17 inch screen laptop and have no trouble laying down on the couch or bed to watch a movie on it whenever I feel like it -- because I don't weigh 10 pounds, I guess the weight has never been a huge issue for me, rofl.

Dunlop122

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2012
One thing to consider when you're getting into photography is how you plan to present your photos. Being an amateur photographer, people love to see my photos presented on my iPad 3 with retina. The iPad 3/4 screen size and retina quality are perfect for showing off your work. I initially used an Ipad 2 for this purpose, and saw a marked improvement going with the retina. Not a HUGE difference, but a difference nonetheless. Taking this difference into consideration along with the screen size of the mini, I would take a serious look at the iPad 3/4 if you plan on showing off your photos with a tablet.

If your budget only allows for a camera or tablet, I would buy an entry level DSLR, and save up for the tablet. I warn you though, camera lenses are a legal drug, and as addictive.

richy d

macrumors member
Jan 22, 2011
For me they are totally different devices for totally different purposes.

i.e I use my macbook for things such as creating music, running a Virtual machine for some pc programs, word processing, spreadsheet work etc

The mini I use for web browsing and apps etc.. basically more of a media consumption device that is portable enough for me to take anywhere.. I also use it for reading (e.g kindle app).

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
Since we're talking about two devices that are completely different - what need is more present. A tablet or camera.

Personally, I'd go with the camera, but then I enjoy photography.

Lunchb0x8

macrumors 6502a
May 2, 2010
Quirindi, NSW, AU
Take it from a guy who carries a MBA, iPad Mini, DSLR and a whole bunch of other gear every day.

Get a camera, you can always get an iPad later, and besides, the NEX-5N is awesome, if I wasn't so intent on a DSLR, I would have gotten one, the dslrgearnoidea channel on youtube is awesome.

If I had to choose between an iPad and a kicka$$ camera, I would get the camera first, purely because then you can justify the ipad as a means of showing your photo collection to family and friends.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.