Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Thank you, Tim.

Steve ego would have NEVER allow this to happened!

MVallee

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2007
Ontario, Canada
I personally haven't had any issues with Apple maps other than POI related ones. It seems their info is either wrong or outdated for the most part. If I have the actual address then Apple maps work fine.

KieranDotW

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
Canada
win-win

I'll admit to not having had any problems with Maps. But if I had, I would've been pissed. So I consider myself lucky and won't say: "but it works for me, why are YOU complaining"!

The thing is in nearly every legitimate review of the iPhone 5 or other devices that come with iOS 6 out of the box the reviewer always acts like they got lucky not having problems with Apple Maps. Are they really that lucky or is Apple Maps just not nearly as flawed as everyone (mostly people who have never used it) make it out to be?

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
Expect to see

Google Maps
YouTube

in the Top 5 of the App Store for lonnnng time.

BSben

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2012
UK
I hope Google's map app is better than the awful YouTube app they created.
I hardly ever use YouTube anymore since Google gave us that piece of junk that replaced Apple's app.

ghsDUDE

macrumors 68030
May 25, 2010
I hope Google's map app is better than the awful YouTube app they created.
I hardly ever use YouTube anymore since Google gave us that piece of junk that replaced Apple's app.

You obviously haven't used the new one that was just released.

vngannxx

macrumors member
Nov 22, 2009
still wont matter as much because ios maps will be the default maps app. every time a address or link is pressed, ios maps will pop up. no settings to change default maps app. no integration with native applications and siri

Last edited:

mnsportsgeek

macrumors 601
Feb 24, 2009
I didn't have any problems with it for about a month. Then, about a week ago. I tried to go to micro center. Horrible nightmare. It took me about 3 miles away from micro center. Way to go apple maps.

UnfetteredMind

macrumors 6502
Jun 6, 2012
I really don't see how.

You didn't see widespread complaints about the old Maps App.

What would they have compared it with to complain about it? There was nothing before it (bundled for free with iOS that is). Plenty of people had downloaded other mapping apps to get turn-by-turn and to have map data when cell coverage was poor or non-existent. Now that I think about it, plenty of people complained about those things (and I'm sure more), but we just don't remember it now.

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
still wont matter as much because ios maps will be the default maps app. every time a address or link is pressed, ios maps will pop up. no settings to change default maps app

That won't be the case when the jailbreak is released...even with it not being released yet, a few more seconds opening up Google Maps to put in an address won't hurt.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
What would they have compared it with to complain about it? There was nothing before it (bundled for free with iOS that is). Plenty of people had downloaded other mapping apps to get turn-by-turn and to have map data when cell coverage was poor or non-existent. Now that I think about it, plenty of people complained about those things (and I'm sure more), but we just don't remember it now.

They could compare it to:

Reality
Bing Maps
+about a dozen other map services
Paper Maps

Scrapula

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
I have absolutely no problem with Apple Maps. It gives better directions than the GPS in my car. Finds everyplace I need to go. Great turn by turn directions. At least in the Seattle area, it is really good. No need for Google.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.