Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iSensei

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2012
FINALLY! Google Maps has come back...to...iOS! If ya smelllllllllllllalalalalalalalalalala what Google is cookin' :D

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
I hope that with this, people will realize that Google Maps has its own share of errors as well. Apple Maps is getting way too much unjustified hate.

Respectfully, you are basing this on what, your own experience? Apple maps has shown some very real probalems around the globe, none of which are as severe on Google Maps. How do I know? Well, millions of people use Google Maps (Navigation on Android) and I am not reading about any such complaints.

My anecdotal evidence in Boston, MA: Apple maps has routed me to the wrong place five times and dialed a residential number where it was supposed to dial a business. This has never happened on my Android devices (although my Lumia 920 is just as bad, in different ways).

iSensei

macrumors regular
Nov 25, 2012
I have absolutely no problem with Apple Maps. It gives better directions than the GPS in my car. Finds everyplace I need to go. Great turn by turn directions. At least in the Seattle area, it is really good. No need for Google.

You Americans need to realize the world is much much bigger than your little bubble and it includes OTHER countries than the USA and that Apple Maps sucks. Plain and simple.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
They could compare it to:

Reality
Bing Maps
+about a dozen other map services
Paper Maps

+1

It's as if people think iOS was the only platform out there. Even so, there have been turn by turn mapping options on iOS for YEARS as well. The two that come to mind are Navigon and Waze.

BlueParadox

macrumors 6502
Sep 3, 2010
Melbourne, Australia
No doubt going to be the biggest rival app on iOS ever (if released, that is).

Hope this speeds up Apple's ongoing and lengthy "repair" work on its own Maps app. Still 97% reliable for me.

Either way, looking forward to having the use of both.

Last edited:

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
You Americans need to realize the world is much much bigger than your little bubble and it includes OTHER countries than the USA and that Apple Maps sucks. Plain and simple.

It sucks in the USA too. This isn't just about Americans. This is about people using Apple maps in a relatively small area that doesn't seem to be effected. That's great, but one cannot claim a maps app is fool proof after having used it on a couple dozen square miles of terrain.

wordoflife

macrumors 604
Jul 6, 2009
I hope that with this, people will realize that Google Maps has its own share of errors as well. Apple Maps is getting way too much unjustified hate.

31791743.jpg

It's not so much about the maps that are the problem. It's the fact that Apple took out a perfectly well mapping solution and replaced it with something considerably more inferior. They didn't even tell Google about it beforehand. It's just selfish, really. They wanted to surprise the world, and, well, they did.

Schmitty11

macrumors 6502
May 21, 2011
I hope Google's map app is better than the awful YouTube app they created.
I hardly ever use YouTube anymore since Google gave us that piece of junk that replaced Apple's app.

So you must be one of those people that when Apples says "Jump!", you ask "how high?"

Because most any normal open minded person, this the new youtube app is pretty good.

kjs862

macrumors 65816
Jan 21, 2004
can't happen soon enough.

i'm wondering what apple is planning on doing in the long run since they can't get internet services.

i mean it's not in their dna... what to do?

maybe they should practice what they preach and just focus on a couple of things like making iphones, macs, iPads, osx, iOS, and leave internet services to another company like google.

Black Magic

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2012
It sucks in the USA too. This isn't just about Americans. This is about people using Apple maps in a relatively small area that doesn't seem to be effected. That's great, but one cannot claim a maps app is fool proof after having used it on a couple dozen square miles of terrain.

Agreed. If the CEO released an official apology and an SVP was fired over maps, you know something is wrong. I like Apple as much as anyone else here but the maps need work.

Scrapula

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
Chill, dude. I said that it worked great in Seattle. I moved here from the UK, so I am aware of the rest of the world.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Very much looking forward to this. Missed street view. The web app is OK but clunky.

Flyby on Apple Maps is no more than a candy eye gimmick.

1Password 4 for iOS also is released too!! :-D

tasset

macrumors 6502a
May 22, 2007
Wonder if it will have turn-by-turn voice guidance, especially for older devices that Apple has deemed incompatible for such a 'processor intensive' functionality.. i.e. not the iPhone 5.

Dreamer2go

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2007
The only 2 things I don't like Apple maps is:

1) Bad searching in Hong Kong. (IE: Can't search buildings name)
2) Must enter exact street name + building NUMBER for accurate turn by turn...

For the rest, no complaints, as the turn by turn is really smooth for Apple Maps. (besides my minor complaint)

Google maps + Apple maps will compliment one another for me.
I do miss Streetview.

conditionals

macrumors regular
May 5, 2005
Australia
Adding to the list of iOS core apps that Google has better alternatives for:

Chrome
Gmail

Check them out. Especially the updated Gmail app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.