Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

strongs

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 16, 2012
United Kingdom
I tried updating Final Cut Pro last night the total size of the update was just under 700mb's but after the data had been downloaded the install failed. Now I just want to delete any update data that was downloaded.

Where is this data stored please? :)

salacious

macrumors 6502a
May 15, 2011
I tried updating Final Cut Pro last night the total size of the update was just under 700mb's but after the data had been downloaded the install failed. Now I just want to delete any update data that was downloaded.

Where is this data stored please? :)

applications presumably or in downloads folder

strongs

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 16, 2012
United Kingdom
From Apple, don't think so.

I am in an older OS and here it's in /Library/Updates.

Yer I updated via app store (Updates) I checked \\Library\Updates but there is nothing in there that is anywhere near 700mbs in size so I don't think the data went there.

cyclotron451

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2005
Europe
I've not (yet) lost data with Onyx (http://www.titanium.free.fr) there are varied OS versions.

This app can do quite a comprehensive clean when you use its "automation" option and select everything - if you want to delete everything of course! I usually get it to auto-restart in Preferences so I can have a coffee & come back when the startup 'bong' happens.

strongs

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 16, 2012
United Kingdom
You checked the main Library not the Users/yourname/Library/Updates?

/private/var/folders maybe?

I'm beginning to think that the data has deleted itself because if I go to the app store and click Update it starts to download the update again.

I'm a new mac user btw

Only folders I have in /private/var/folders are "v4" and "zz"

Just hate to think that there could be 700mb of update data for Final Cut Pro sitting on my HD somewhere (I like a tidy HD :eek:).

justperry

macrumors G5
Aug 10, 2007
I'm a rolling stone.
I'm beginning to think that the data has deleted itself because if I go to the app store and click Update it starts to download the update again.

I'm a new mac user btw

Only folders I have in /private/var/folders are "v4" and "zz"

Just hate to think that there could be 700mb of update data for Final Cut Pro sitting on my HD somewhere (I like a tidy HD :eek:).

There are always two or more folder in /private/var/folders, you can get info on one of these folders to see how big it is, one folder if there is one User Account and it won't work on the other one since it is a folder you don't have the right permissions for.

And, there are programs like Disk Inventory X and others which graphically displays the contents of your disk, a 700 MB file should be easily noticed.

(posted 10 hours later-MR forums down b4?)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.