Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

blairs1

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 5, 2011
Ontario, Canada
Hey all, just a question, I ended up getting a great deal on an iPad 4 ($404.99 on Black Friday here in Canada) and thought I'd get great use of it. Now I haven't used the thing yet, nor have I opened it, because I don't want to return something that is open.

Here's what I currently own: iMac 21.5" base model for work at the desk, a MacBook Air 13" i7 (4gb ram, 256 ssd).

Should I even be considering the iPad? I know the iPad will be used, but not entirely sure on how much it would get used with the two machines that I already have. I'd like to surf while watching TV in bed before I sleep, travel with it, iOS game, etc. and that's something I'm not sure is easily done with the MBA (mainly surfing in bed).

Is anyone in the same situation as me? What have you decided and why?

D1G1T4L

macrumors 68000
Jun 26, 2007
Raleigh, NC
No you don't need an ipad

Go play with one and see if it is something you want. If so buy it and again see how much you use it. If you don't return it.

bembol

macrumors 65816
Jul 29, 2006
I have the Air and mini. By the end of January, I should have the new 27" iMac.

Each have their purpose, even when I have to take the Air out for work I still take the mini out with me all the time since I got the LTE model. That's what I love about the Mini, portability. When I had the iPad 3 LTE I left it behind knowing it extend my Air's battery life.

Pharmscott

macrumors 6502a
Dec 13, 2011
Sacramento, CA
I have an iPad 3 but after I got my MBA, I used the Air more than the iPad. But, if you like iOS games or apps, then get the iPad because it's awesome for that and there's no laptop comparison.

bevsb2

Contributor
Nov 23, 2012
I'm a person who often gets wants and needs mixed up. With a rMBP and MBA, I don't "need" an iPad, but I love my iPad 4. It rarely leaves the house, but is much easier to use sitting on the sofa or in bed and is just fun to have. When I go out of town for meetings it depends on what I need to use a computer for that determines which one I take. My preference is the iPad because it is lighter weight, but sometimes the MBA is more useful at meetings.

Xikum

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2011
Of course you don't need it. You also don't need an iMac or a MBA; there are cheaper alternatives which would (most likely) perform the task you do.

However, just because you don't need something doesn't mean you shouldn't have it. If you can afford the iPad then it's still a fun device that has practical functions, too. However, if you will be in a financial predicament because of it, then it isn't worth it.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
Subjective matter and there are countless threads on this sort of topic that you can refer to if you just want random opinions. No can can answer your question for you. It's your call to make. Try one out and decide before the return period runs out. Nothing beats first hand experience for answering questions like this.

Brettka7

macrumors 6502
Nov 5, 2011
If I could afford an Air and a regular Mac, I wouldn't have an iPad. My ideal setup would be a 15" MBP, an 11" MBA, and an iPhone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.