Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

B2k1977

macrumors regular
Mar 15, 2009
iPhone 5

Just hope we get some iPhone 5 screen support in the first version. Very annoying how much time they took to update the youtube app.

Brian

hakime

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2008
"Google Maps for iOS will likely be a huge hit with iPhone users that have been plagued with problems using Apple's built-in mapping solution. Apple has received significant criticism over its mapping app, most recently when motorists in Australia became lost because of a misplaced waypoint."

Non sense! Google Maps has the same exact problem which gets less reported in the media just because it's Google and not Apple.

http://au.news.yahoo.com/technology...ice-warn-of-safety-concerns-from-google-maps/

Ironically Google Maps is reported to be potentially dangerous in .... Australia.

People make big stories for Apple Map but just ignore the exact same problems affecting Google Maps. So just stop the ridiculous selective critics here.

Also get the fact right, in this story in Australia, actually only one person got "lost" because he was stupid enough not to question the data that were presented to him (and obviously wrong). So I don't understand what are the "motorists in Australia" getting lost you are talking about here...

Aidan5806

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2012
So let me get this straight. It has taken them exactly 6 months to roll out a native maps app (Since the announcement of Apple Maps on June 11th), But it took them less than 2 to roll out a native youtube app.............I understand maps are more complex than youtube, but really, 3 times as long?

WhoDaKat

macrumors 6502
May 20, 2006
You Americans need to realize the world is much much bigger than your little bubble and it includes OTHER countries than the USA and that Apple Maps sucks. Plain and simple.

How are you not guilty of the same kind of thinking? Maybe you need to realize that if you infer Apple Maps sucks because it took you to the wrong place, then you can also infer that since it took me to the right place it doesn't suck. If people stopped giving ambiguous Maps sucks comments and started saying, I live in the North Pole and when I tried to go to the starbucks on candy cane lane it took me to the Elf school, then we wouldn't still be talking about this. Instead we get haters spewing hate, and I find myself doubting the validity of the claims more and more. Especially since I've driven half way across the country twice and haven't had any problems, and since more and more reviewers are saying I haven't had any problems.

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
Non sense! Google Maps has the same exact problem which gets less reported in the media just because it's Google and not Apple.

Absolutely not.

Google Maps is simply a more mature product.

It's far from perfect, but years of improvements have gone into it.

Google is MUCH faster than Apple at getting POIs updated if you reported a problem.

The problems with Apple Maps are clearly down to a half baked product being touted as the best thing ever.

oldmanwalking

macrumors newbie
May 14, 2012
Whiners?

Hopefully this will finally shut up the whiners.

One of the worst apps on any OS. Complaints? I'm surprised they have been as calm as they have. The police in one jurisdiction had to issue a warning about the inaccuracy of the app. On a more personal level, I have found it useless. Worse than that: misleading. And from Apple.

I think it's reasonable to assume that most of us on this forum are Apple fans. Not just users, but long time customers and admirers. The Apple map app was outside our experience with Apple products. Whine? Should have been shouting. Wretched stuff.

I have been waiting for the Google map app since I first loaded iOS 6.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
It doesn't change the fact that Apple Maps is absolutely terrible.

dead-horse.gif

In some areas yes. In others it works just fine.

One of the worst apps on any OS. Complaints? I'm surprised they have been as calm as they have. The police in one jurisdiction had to issue a warning about the inaccuracy of the app.

Police also have also issued a warning for Google Maps

On a more personal level, I have found it useless. Worse than that: misleading. And from Apple.

On a personal level i've found it works fine in my area.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
That's why Apple's rolling out of their maps makes sense. Google's original contract for maps wouldn't have allowed turn-by-turn, vector maps, and many other features that this app will introduce, because apple made competition on their own platform.

Come again?

Google, I am sure, would have happily offered turn-by-turn functionality but it wasn't in the original contract. Google most likely did offer it (when it was introduced or at a later point) to Apple but they also wanted a branded App. This was something Apple didn't want. So they couldn't reach an agreement.

osaga

macrumors 6502
Jun 11, 2012
Thank you, Tim.

Steve ego would have NEVER allow this to happened!

No this is a win for Steve. He hated that google was withholding turn by turn navigation, AND charging Apple some zillions of dollars to access their map data.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
I have absolutely no problem with Apple Maps. It gives better directions than the GPS in my car. Finds everyplace I need to go. Great turn by turn directions. At least in the Seattle area, it is really good. No need for Google.

That is my experience too, but lots of non US users are having issues apparently.

So..now they have another option.

Cole Slaw

macrumors 65816
Oct 6, 2006
Canada
This is great news!
Now if I they would only allow me to trash Apple Maps, Newsstand, Find Friends and a couple of other useless (to me) apps I'd be really happy.

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
Well, this will certainly signify another eff'ing failure by apple.

Browser, map and email.. Don't even get me start on social network failure.

Where is this going? Apple must secure these areas if they plan to compete in the future.

Google Buzz, Wave?

SomeDudeAsking

macrumors 65816
Nov 23, 2010
No this is a win for Steve. He hated that google was withholding turn by turn navigation, AND charging Apple some zillions of dollars to access their map data.

I hear Google wanted to charge Apple the same royalty rate for turn by turn that Apple wanted to charge Samsung for rounded corners ($20 per device). That's when Apple said, "That's outrageous. Only a fool would pay for rounded corners!". That's when the negotiations fell through.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.