Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

layte

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2008
That's under Windows. Under OSX Autodesk usually certifies a range of Macs with their software. They typically skip over the minis, airs, and 13" macbook pros.

Oh I get that, it was more to the point that Autodesk are happy enough with the underlying hardware, so to just dismiss it out of hand is not entirely fair.

Lone Deranger

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
Assuming Apple does indeed give us a 2013 Mac Pro, what would Intel be able to bring to the table? Is there anything out there at all that warrants a proper upgrade? A nice 8 or 10 core Xeon at 2.93Ghz? What's the roadmap?

At times it seems as if the race for the fastest CPU has been all but abandoned for the race to the most power efficient CPU. :confused:

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Assuming Apple does indeed give us a 2013 Mac Pro, what would Intel be able to bring to the table? Is there anything out there at all that warrants a proper upgrade? A nice 8 or 10 core Xeon at 2.93Ghz? What's the roadmap?

At times it seems as if the race for the fastest CPU has been all but abandoned for the race to the most power efficient CPU. :confused:
That is not really the case for Xeon. I have read that Intel is interested in bringing out a +150W Xeon bin for people that really want the power.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/di...xt_Gen_Xeon_Core_Extreme_Microprocessors.html

You see 150W there but there is even the chance to just unlock the limiters and push it higher/hotter. 10 cores for Ivy Bridge-E Xeon and maybe even 12 cores.

chrmjenkins

macrumors 603
Oct 29, 2007
MD

8 core is likely.

The race for fastest CPU hasn't been abandoned. It's just shifted into a race for the fastest modular unit that can scale to a many core system. Still provides for an overall faster CPU.

The short of it was that branch prediction units and ALUs got so complex that they couldn't squeeze any more IPC out of it so they had to start ask the coders and compilers to parralelize their code.

Last edited:

Lone Deranger

macrumors 68000
Apr 23, 2006
Tokyo, Japan
That is not really the case for Xeon. I have read that Intel is interested in bringing out a +150W Xeon bin for people that really want the power.

http://www.xbitlabs.com/news/cpu/di...xt_Gen_Xeon_Core_Extreme_Microprocessors.html

You see 150W there but there is even the chance to just unlock the limiters and push it higher/hotter. 10 cores for Ivy Bridge-E Xeon and maybe even 12 cores.

Thanks Eidorian and chrmjenkins. 12 core CPUs sounds fantastic! :eek:

----------

The short of it was that branch prediction units and ALUs got so complex that they couldn't squeeze any more IPC out of it so they had to start ask the coders and compilers to parralelize their code.

Gosh, I wish that they would hurry up with that. Maya, my main 3D app is in so many ways still single threaded. It's painful to watch on a 12-core MP.

I

iFanboy

I just ordered a $6,504.00 CDN iMac with the following specs

3.4GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz
32GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 4x8GB
768GB Flash Storage
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB GDDR5
Apple Magic Mouse
Promise Pegasus 12TB (6x2TB) R6 RAID System

Will Haswell make much of difference for my needs? I use my computer for facebook, email, twitter and listening to iTunes. I occasionally edit photos in iPhoto from my iphone.

Just kidding :)

You had me going. Well done! :D

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010

I wonder what the decibel level would be like if they crammed those into blade servers:cool:.

Oh I get that, it was more to the point that Autodesk are happy enough with the underlying hardware, so to just dismiss it out of hand is not entirely fair.

I don't think they certified the HD3000 at all, so that may be a good sign for Intel.

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
I wonder what the decibel level would be like if they crammed those into blade servers:cool:.
That would depend on the cooling. I would expect it to see it in a very specialized role or in a liquid cooled workstation that needed to be dedicated, local, overkill levels of computing power.

Aug 19, 2008
I just ordered a $6,504.00 CDN iMac with the following specs

3.4GHz Quad-core Intel Core i7, Turbo Boost up to 3.9GHz
32GB 1600MHz DDR3 SDRAM - 4x8GB
768GB Flash Storage
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 680MX 2GB GDDR5
Apple Magic Mouse
Promise Pegasus 12TB (6x2TB) R6 RAID System

Will Haswell make much of difference for my needs? I use my computer for facebook, email, twitter and listening to iTunes. I occasionally edit photos in iPhoto from my iphone.

Just kidding :)

You might have some trouble so watch videos on Facebook (photos should be OK most of the time if you don't listen music in the same time).

So I'd recommend you to resell or trade it for a new model and everything should be fine... well everything but Twitter, but that's another story (maybe in 2014?).

PS: Just kidding too ;)

alfistas

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2012
Helios Prime
If you make money with CAD, you buy one of the “standard” HP or Lenovo (IBM) workstations for > 10.000,- US$.

What a ridiculous statement! You seriously think the world is black and white? Where people can either go for puny integrated graphics or $10.000 worth of workstations?? :rolleyes:

Ice Dragon

macrumors 6502a
Jun 16, 2009
Why is called Intel HD 4600 and not Intel HD 5000? Also Haswell is taking 1600MHz memory as well not higher?

alfistas

macrumors regular
Jun 28, 2012
Helios Prime
Edit: teach me for not reading the small print. More fools me.

Although, it still shows that a functionally identical unit can go through and not only pass, but get a recommended tag. So it cannot be all that bad.

I don't understand your comment... :confused:

Also why do people think that by CAD I was reffering to Autocad??? Autodesk products are very expensive so most medium size firms opt for cheaper options...

SuperCyborg

macrumors member
Dec 7, 2012
Spring 2013, give a few months for Apple to get around building something for them, we should see new iMacs sometime around February 2014.

winston1236

macrumors 68000
Dec 13, 2010
First off; the power levels are low enough to go into a Mac Mini if Apple wanted to go that route. The vastly improved graphics are actually needed in the Mini. 35 watts is doable and maybe even 45 watts in a Mini.

Second; Nice updates for the base model iMac too. More performance is always nice or if you choose a bit cooler operation.

The only really bad thing is no six core option. This would be an ideal chip for an XMac type machine.

Mac mini pro coming soon to replace the mac pro!

Woodcrest64

macrumors 65816
Aug 14, 2006
You might have some trouble so watch videos on Facebook (photos should be OK most of the time if you don't listen music in the same time).

So I'd recommend you to resell or trade it for a new model and everything should be fine... well everything but Twitter, but that's another story (maybe in 2014?).

PS: Just kidding too ;)

Well said my friend :) lol!

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
You've seen the rMBP 13 right? That's essentially an Air with extra ports and not wedge shaped. Small enough for me, but wish it had a discrete GPU for "docked" scenarios.

Wasn't T-Bolt supposed to solve the "docked scenario" problem?

Just put a PCI-e discrete card with uber-GiB of VRAM into the docking station....

Oops. Vaporware.

thekev

macrumors 604
Aug 5, 2010
That would depend on the cooling. I would expect it to see it in a very specialized role or in a liquid cooled workstation that needed to be dedicated, local, overkill levels of computing power.

I hope to see more gpu leverage. It could be great in terms of cost to performance ratio, but that route is memory bottlenecked when it comes to raytracing with mapped textures, and you can't map them directly to virtual memory with any OpenCL or CUDA based renderer.

Oops. Vaporware.

That is why I'd never buy something with thunderbolt in anticipation of peripheral devices. I don't worry about these things unless the capability is already there. I'd argue that Apple got what they wanted from it. The initial single port implementation took over a mini displayport connection. The second port on some machines displaced ports that Apple wouldn't have implemented anyway due to Apple's prioritization. I don't really agree with shaving .2" and axing ethernet, but I don't think lack of thunderbolt would have prevented this.

xekret

macrumors newbie
Sep 3, 2012
Hopefully the 13" Retina will get a boost in graphic performance with the HD4600. That is what I am hoping for until then my 2011 iMac will do.

magbarn

macrumors 68030
Oct 25, 2008
Don't know if this has been mentioned, but there is an i7 quad core with 35W TDP in the list. As far 35W is the limit Apple has set (themselves) for the Processor of the 13" Macbook Pros. I can see a quad core 13" MBP and rMBP coming :)

Awesome!!!

Apple could've easily given this years rMBP 13 a proper quad core 35 watt CPU this year here. But they have to defend that profit margin and give you a reason next year to upgrade to Haswell :apple:

Eidorian

macrumors Penryn
Mar 23, 2005
Indianapolis
Why is called Intel HD 4600 and not Intel HD 5000? Also Haswell is taking 1600MHz memory as well not higher?
The Intel HD 4600 is probably only their GT2 level integrated graphics. It is going to be better than Ivy Bridge but GT3 is the showstopper.

Attachments

• 8.jpg
    8.jpg
    169.3 KB · Views: 154

madrag

macrumors 6502
Nov 2, 2007
Behold as the new iMac gets the shortest life cycle ever.

Ha ha, you haven't been waiting for the iMac 2012 since November 2011... The Haswell iMac at this pace, will be released at the end of 2013, and for me that is not the shortest life cycle ever.

macs4nw

macrumors 601
Why no Haswell for Macbook Pros?
I'm patiently waiting for Haswell so that I can invest in a rMBP 2nd gen with Haswell in 2013... or is that wishful thinking?

As there is a good chance that the 15" MBP will be updated late spring, early summer, next year, you may get your wish. And with these HD4600 GPU's, formerly referred to as GT1, GT2 and GT3, graphics performance will take quite a leap forward. The performance of the GT3 is said to have increased up to 100%, compared to Ivy Bridge's HD4000, so even with real-world benchmarks, that should be quite an improvement. Making switching to the power-hungry NVIDIA GeForce discreet graphics less of a necessity for all but the most graphics-intensive applications.

skier777

macrumors 6502
Jul 3, 2010
Behold as the new iMac gets the shortest life cycle ever.

I think apple is finally figuring it out; by updating the products more regularly, they sell more, because people don't feel the need to hold out until the net big thing.
The consumer on the other hand feels that apple has "betrayed" them by updating a product that they just bought. What I cannot possibly understand is why you would care. You knew what you were getting on the day you bought it and you made a conscious decision to trade money for goods.

----------

What a ridiculous statement! You seriously think the world is black and white? Where people can either go for puny integrated graphics or $10.000 worth of workstations?? :rolleyes:

This.

AutoCAD 2013 would run fine on the average $500 desktop computer.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.