Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AlterZgo

macrumors regular
Mar 17, 2011
Took many tries. Finally able to download and install in Irvine, CA right now (9:25 PM PST). Seems to work OK. Never had a problem w/ Apple Maps before. Don't like how the Google App doesn't send you automatically to the Google Maps app when you ask for directions to a certain location.

LxHunter

Suspended
Nov 14, 2010
Toronto driving directions - one test ?

Just downloaded in Toronto. Nice to have street view back, and I noticed it is compass/gyro enabled.

Tried 2 tests: driving and public transit directions to my cousin's place.
Big surprise - Google maps shows the preferred route down Yonge street - the congested main st. in Toronto. Apple maps directs me down Mt. Pleasant ... etc. the fastest route and the one I take. OK, so just one test.

The public transit directions are also off - says take the bus for 28 minutes when the subway is by my door and it takes 12 minutes.

Also, I guess not integrated with address book so I have to enter destinations manually.

Last edited:

nfl46

macrumors G3
Oct 5, 2008
I prefer Apple's Map after playing with it. I like the deep integration. But I'll keep it, though.

Small White Car

macrumors G4
Aug 29, 2006
Washington DC
In what way is 3d maps actually useful? I've found street-view to be a lifesaver over the years.

When I want to study the 4 block walk from the subway I have to do apple maps lets me examine that walk from multiple angles in about 10 seconds.

To do that in street video requires about 90 seconds of:

click, dissolve, click, dissolve, click, dissolve, click, dissolve, click, dissolve, click, dissolve, click, dissolve, click, dissolve, click, dissolve, click, dissolve, click, dissolve...

Oh, look...I'm 20% there!

Ugh

iVoid

macrumors 65816
Jan 9, 2007
Got it finally. Looks nice, although I don't like the thinner traffic lines, but at least the green/yellow/red is more visible than Apple's thin dashed yellow/red lines.
I disliked Apple Maps not showing green when the traffic was normal speeds since that told me there was traffic info coming in.

Interface is a bit odd, but I'll get used to it. Time will tell what maps program I'll use most going forward, but it's good to have choices.

iamse7en

macrumors member
Jan 9, 2007
Okay, it works great... and it's already better than the stock app, but one question:

How do I get it to read my contacts? If I type in my friend's name in the stock app, I can quickly get directions to his house. It's not accessing my contacts in gMaps

ECUpirate44

macrumors 603
Mar 22, 2010
NC
I was disappointed in Apple Maps's lack of POI recognition.

2012-12-13 00.24.35.png 2012-12-13 00.25.21.png

iOzzie

macrumors regular
Feb 22, 2010
Melbourne
This just hit Engadget, nice.

Mountain View's mapping service is back on iOS, but Google's cartography team isn't content with launching a standalone app: it wants to worm its way into other developer's apps, too. Leveraging a URL scheme, Google Maps' iOS SDK allows developers to call up its own navigation application in favor of iOS 6's offering. The SDK also demonstrates how to perform a quick check to make sure Google Maps is installed, allowing apps to default to Apple's solution if it isn't found. Developers looking for a more integrated solution can request access to API keys that will allow their apps to natively utilize Google's cartography in 2D and 3D views. Its a subtle hand to play, but the update SDK gives developers more control over the experience they offer to users, a good thing, to be sure. Looking for access to the new API? Register your interest at Google's developer site -- its doling to access to qualified developers as API keys become available.

http://www.engadget.com/2012/12/13/google-launches-maps-sdk/

Lazlow

macrumors regular
Sep 6, 2007
Holy crap. The gyroscope + accelerometer integration in Street View is amazing!

macness

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2011
Vancouver Canada
Just downloaded in Toronto. Nice to have street view back

Tried 2 tests: driving and public transit directions to my cousin's place.
Big surprise - Google maps shows the preferred route down Yonge street - the congested main st. in Toronto. Apple maps directs me down Mt. Pleasant ... etc. the fastest route and the one I take. OK, so just one test.

The public transit directions are also off - says take the bus for 28 minutes when the subway is by my door and it takes 12 minutes.

Also, I guess not integrated with address book so I have to enter destinations manually.

transit is a big one

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
Can someone explain what vector based mapping is

Instead of each section of the map being an image file, a vector map is effectively a collection of drawing instructions, with the Map app being sent a list of things to draw (e.g. a road that is 1 mile long, a park that is a quarter of a mile squared). The main advantage of this is that you can scale the map up and down (by zooming) without having to reload the data and without the map becoming distorted. It also uses far less data.

The concept is explained more broadly on Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Vector_graphics

buddybd

macrumors 6502
Jul 28, 2011
Downloaded and looks great, and in a way I'm not glad Apple removed Maps entirely, now we get a much better independent app.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.