Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

appleweek

macrumors member
Original poster
May 20, 2002
Hi all!

How do I rename a playlist ON my iOS 5 device from within the Music app?? I'm fully aware you can do it via iTunes and then re-sync to your iDevice. But iOS 5 was suppose to be completely "PC-Free", and you can Create, Edit (Add), and Delete playlists, but I cant seem to find how to *rename* an existing playlist on the device without using iTunes?!

Please advise.....

iPhone 4 w/ iOS 5.0.1 here

appleweek

macrumors member
Original poster
May 20, 2002
Renaming a playlist is THAT big a deal for you?

Jesus.

They could make an iPhone that did laundry for you, but somebody would bitch because it wouldn't let you set the wash timer for 24 minutes instead of 30. :rolleyes:

Yes, it is that important. It goes with the whole "PC-free" mantra that Apple is trying to go for with iOS 5. It may seem nit-picky, but I don't need to mention many other Music apps can rename playlist. Not to mention the default Android Music app, crappy as it is, can rename playlist.

So NO-ONE has ever had the need to rename a playlist on the go besides me and BergerFan??? REALLY???

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
So it's too difficult to add a new playlist with the new name and copy all the songs over from the playlist you want to rename? Maybe the problem isn't the phone...And no, I've never had the need to rename a playlist, can you give an example of why you would do this?

appleweek

macrumors member
Original poster
May 20, 2002
So it's too difficult to add a new playlist with the new name and copy all the songs over from the playlist you want to rename? Maybe the problem isn't the phone...And no, I've never had the need to rename a playlist, can you give an example of why you would do this?

So you're saying the 'easy' Apple-way of doing this is to create a new playlist and then manually re-add all 768 tracks one by one on my iPhone???

And why would I want to rename a playlist??? If people didn't ever want to rename playlist, why is it available in iTunes on the desktop then Interstella5555??? The exact same reasons you would want to rename a playlist in iTunes applies to iOS 5 as well.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
So you're saying the 'easy' Apple-way of doing this is to create a new playlist and then manually re-add all 768 tracks one by one on my iPhone???

And why would I want to rename a playlist??? If people didn't ever want to rename playlist, why is it available in iTunes on the desktop then Interstella5555??? The exact same reasons you would want to rename a playlist in iTunes applies to iOS 5 as well.

Again, I did what you're complaining about in less than 5 seconds. Go to Playlists, add new, put in the name you want, go to the playlist you want to rename, use the "Add all" button on the top (I guess you could add all 700+ songs manually, but that just seems a little foolish), save the playlist under the new name, then delete the "old" playlist if you want. The only "extra" step here is that you're really just copying the playlist and not renaming it, but what's the difference?

Did I say no one would ever want to rename a playlist? Not sure that I did, I said that I've never had to do it and asked for an example, which you apparently can't give.

appleweek

macrumors member
Original poster
May 20, 2002
Again, I did what you're complaining about in less than 5 seconds. Go to Playlists, add new, put in the name you want, go to the playlist you want to rename, use the "Add all" button on the top (I guess you could add all 700+ songs manually, but that just seems a little foolish), save the playlist under the new name, then delete the "old" playlist if you want. The only "extra" step here is that you're really just copying the playlist and not renaming it, but what's the difference?

Did I say no one would ever want to rename a playlist? Not sure that I did, I said that I've never had to do it and asked for an example, which you apparently can't give.

I was aware of this work-around, but it is not a true and honest "rename" for 1 obvious reason: Smart Playlist. Yes I can create a new Playlist with the items *from* a smart playlist, but because the playlist I created on the iDevice is just a regular old static playlist, i loose the fact that it is a Smart Playlist. In fact, the majority of my playlist are Smart Playlist, therefore this 'trick' would hardly work for me. It merely duplicates the tracks from one playlist to another, but it creates a Static/Non-smart one in the process.

Also, I don't need to give you an example, because you yourself have renamed playlist before i'm certain. Correct? So just imagine any time you had to rename a playlist, except wanting to do it on mobile. It doesn't matter what reason I need to rename a playlist, such basic functionality is clearly missing from this "PC-Free" iOS 5.... I wouldn't have posted this topic if I wasn't actively trying to rename a playlist from my iDevice, only to be shocked something so simple is apparently impossible.... :(

appleweek

macrumors member
Original poster
May 20, 2002
I guess the verdict is: Its Impossible :(

I'll update this thread, if and when Apple provides this functionality in iOS in the future. I'm a bit disappointed guys. I expect Apple to have all the bases covered, like this....

warrior15r

macrumors newbie
Nov 2, 2008
I love you apple but I still can't believe there's still not a simple way to rename a playlist "PC-Free"".

rwfii

macrumors newbie
Apr 25, 2011

There is no way to "Go to Playlists" when adding songs to a playlist. Perhaps this ability has been removed on iOS 6.

Interstella5555, I'm not clear on why it's important that you don't have a need for renaming a playlist in order for there to be a need for such a feature. I have a playlist that I now want to have a different name. The reason why is unimportant. There is no way to do this now without recreating the playlist, which can be very tedious.

Resist

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2008
I need to be able to do this on my iPhone 5. I created a playlist and added around 50 songs, then I realized I misspelled the playlist name. I'm on vacation without my computer, so I can't use iTunes and sync to do it. I need a way to do this via my iPhone only or I have to start from scratch adding those songs.

Resist

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2008
Okay so I got to my computer and discovered that I can't even change the playlist name through iTunes anymore! :mad:

Resist

macrumors 68040
Jan 15, 2008
you probably have it set to automatically sync.
Actually, no I don't.

UPDATE: Stupid me, I didn't double click the playlist name in iTunes. But it still would be nice if we could rename the playlist on our iPhone without a computer.

Last edited:

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
Actually, no I don't.

UPDATE: Stupid me, I didn't double click the playlist name in iTunes. But it still would be nice if we could rename the playlist on our iPhone without a computer.

Glad you figured it out but not getting into this one again. check my earlier post on how you can do this.

bjb.butler

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2008
Southern California
Glad you figured it out but not getting into this one again. check my earlier post on how you can do this.

It's sad to see these apple apologists like you trying to justify reasons where apple has left out basic functionality.

If Apple really is trying to push this pc-free crap, they need to have basic features there.

When you go to a playlist on your phone, there's an edit button. When you click it, you should be able to rename your playlist, but you can't. Period.

Interstella5555

macrumors 603
Jun 30, 2008
It's sad to see these apple apologists like you trying to justify reasons where apple has left out basic functionality.

If Apple really is trying to push this pc-free crap, they need to have basic features there.

When you go to a playlist on your phone, there's an edit button. When you click it, you should be able to rename your playlist, but you can't. Period.

It's sad that you pulled up an 11 month old thread to tell me that. I'm not apologizing for apple, I'm trying to give you guys an option to accomplish what you want since there's not an inherent way to do this. Can you name one device you own that does everything you want? If it bothers you that much, get another phone. I don't go to forums to complain about how my PS3 doesn't play MKV files, or my MBP won't open .exe files, it's something the tech doesn't do and if I don't like it, I buy something else.

bjb.butler

macrumors 6502a
Aug 18, 2008
Southern California
I didn't pull up an old thread.... Someone else replied and you guys started talking about it again.

And you're not simply giving advice on how to do what the OP asked; you're defending Apple's feature lacking. Saying stuff like "it's too difficult to make a new playlist and copy all the songs to that playlist blah blah blah"

You know what, yes it's too hard. We shouldn't have to do all that. There's an edit button for the playlist... Why wouldn't that allow you to edit the title as well? Because Apple had either forgotten or didn't care to have the feature. I doubt this is something that they are going to keep this way for much longer.

You think if you asked the person in charge of iOS user experience "what do you think is the most easy, logical, and convenient way to rename a playlist on iPhone?" He surely wouldn't say "you should create a new playlist, copy the songs over, then delete the old one. The edit button in every playlist SHOULD NOT be used to edit titles"

Lets get real. If I'm at school and I want I rename a playlist, I shouldn't have to wait until I get home to do so. I should be able to, you know, use the EDIT button that's supposed to let me EDIT my playlists.

Onetwentyeight

macrumors newbie
Feb 2, 2013
Renaming a playlist is THAT big a deal for you?

Jesus.

They could make an iPhone that did laundry for you, but somebody would bitch because it wouldn't let you set the wash timer for 24 minutes instead of 30. :rolleyes:

Wow, what an elitist prick you are, Alaerian (and all of the rest of you who knocked the OP down).

I searched out this very question, and was lead here (thank you MacRumors). I want to change the name of my play list simply because I cannot access it on my car stereo - the playlist isn't recognized. All other playlists except this one will play via a voice command. Seems reasonable that I log on, search the web, and ask a very simple question - just like OP has done.

I'm not lazy, I am willing to create a new playlist, but hey, we can't know an answer until we ask, right? So, we ask.

Just because you haven't thought to ask a question doesn't mean it is dumb. What a bunch of bullies on here. Would you speak that same way to someone in person (don't you dare say you would, because society would tear you a new arsehole if you did).

Elitist pricks.

seejax

macrumors newbie
Sep 5, 2013

I just came across this thread recently because I do need to change my playlist names often. I am a fitness instructor and playlists are a big part of my job and I do need to change the names, especially so that they will fall in a certain order. I manage about a 100 playlists on my ipad. I find it extremely frustrating that Apple overlooked a very simple feature. If I make an oversight when naming a playlist it doubles my work. Even though my reasons for changing a playlist name are not whimsical, it should be easy for ANYONE TO DO IT FOR ANY REASON WHATSOEVER, whimsical or not. So if anyone has an easy way?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.