Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Judas1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2011
I can't find it when I'm searching, and the links says its no longer available when I try to download. Who's downloaded it?

ATC

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2008
Canada
Just got it (in Canada), awesome!

Not that I had too many issues with Maps but POIs is where Apple's Maps really sucked for me. On average it found 1 out of 4 location searches which made it useless. Reported errors and omissions months ago and still to this day they're not fixed. Oh well, moving on. As a bonus, for us iPhone 4 users, we now get full turn-by-turn navigation with voice guidance using Google Maps. :)

fsck-y dingo

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2009
Same thing. Tells me it's no longer available for download.

Seems to be quite a few people having trouble. Maybe it's a staggered release by region. I downloaded the moment I saw it and all went smoothly. I'm in the North East US.

imageWIS

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
NYC
Just got it. Looks pretty straight forward / easy enough to use. And in NYC public transit is de rigueur for a Map App. Now I can finally upgrade to iOS 6!

carl0sian

macrumors regular
Oct 30, 2011

yep! seen that video quite a few times. I think all Apple fans are well aware of this. I think this was filmed before Jobs stated that he was going to wage an all out war against Google and use all of Apple's resources in the battle.

I really don't care much about the Maps app in general. I actually haven't had a bad experience with the Apple Maps app. I like it so far. The only thing I miss google related is the YouTube app. Google's attempt at creating a YouTube app for iOs is abysmal at best. I don't have much hope for their attempt at Google Maps...As far as iPad mini's concerned, yes.....Jobs was against it but who knows....iPad mini may become the dominant iPad in the next few years.

Judas1

macrumors 6502a
Aug 4, 2011
Offers for Google maps were unsatisfactory for both companies. Apple took Google maps off, made its own, now we have google maps with all the trimmings. Its called competition.

Apple could have had Google maps if it paid up for it. And I don't know if you're familiar with negotiations but its up to apple to negotiate a better deal for itself. They either failed, or didn't try. Hence, we have apple maps, an inferior product to google maps.

stuffradio

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
For those that can't find Google Maps on the App store, I clicked on any Google app when searching for Google Maps, and I hit related apps. Then I went to all apps and it was near the end.

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
Apple could have had Google maps if it paid up for it. And I don't know if you're familiar with negotiations but its up to apple to negotiate a better deal for itself. They either failed, or didn't try. Hence, we have apple maps, an inferior product to google maps.

I'm not sure if your familiar with negotiations, but just because Google makes an offer does not mean Apple has to except it. Apple has the upper hand as its on Apples platform. I would say its up to Google to negotiate a better deal for itself on someone else's platform. They apparently didn't.

trogdorDR

macrumors newbie
Oct 14, 2011
In AZ here. Downloaded and installed using the link someone posted above. no issues other than old imagery as others have posted. There are trees pictured outside my house that having been there in over 2 years

stuffradio

macrumors 65816
Mar 17, 2009
I'm not sure if your familiar with negotiations, but just because Google makes an offer does not mean Apple has to except it. Apple has the upper hand as its on Apples platform. I would say its up to Google to negotiate a better deal for itself on someone else's platform. They apparently didn't.

Google doesn't have to negotiate. People want both worlds. Google was on Apple's platform. Apple didn't have to negotiate, and it didn't negotiate. Now look where Apple is. A half baked mapping system, where its only plus is updated satellite imagery from whoever they paid to get the images.

SONiC5

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2012
U.S.
It just downloaded for me, I didn't even know it was downloading, but I saw "Open" instead of "Free" when I returned to the App Store to see if it was finally available.

linuxcooldude

macrumors 68020
Mar 1, 2010
Google doesn't have to negotiate. People want both worlds. Google was on Apple's platform. Apple didn't have to negotiate, and it didn't negotiate. Now look where Apple is. A half baked mapping system, where its only plus is updated satellite imagery from whoever they paid to get the images.

I was explaining it in Judas1 terms. Both companies did not like what terms the other was offering, so both of them came up with their own solutions.

Now look where Apple is. A half baked mapping system, where its only plus is updated satellite imagery from whoever they paid to get the images.

I see it as Apple finally getting a full featured Google maps for nothing. Once Apple maps get up to date it might eventually compete with Googles own mapping system.

Either way the consumer wins in the long run.

mackandproud

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2008
Does this offer voice prompts for turn by turn directions?

Is it a practical substitute for a car navigation system?

Or, is it more for pedestrians in an unfamiliar environment?

Scrapula

macrumors 6502
May 1, 2012
Seattle, WA
I miss Netscape, and a friend of mine still pays a monthly fee to AOL ( for what I have no idea).

Netscape was a company destroyed by Microsoft, but from its ashes came Firefox.

----------

Apple maps is just fine. No way I will touch a google app. There is a reason why I am using an iPhone instead of a Nexus. Enjoy getting your privacy taken away by using anything google.

Not sure if Google wrote this like the rest of the open source Android apps. Those can be downloaded, virus inserted, then reuploaded to the Google store. There's no way that I would ever go to an Android device.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.