Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

kuwxman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2009
Kansas City
Apple would benefit SO much by allowing a slightly more open system. This includes letting some of the great jailbreak developers start porting their apps over to the 'legit' side...LockInfo, Multifl0w, biteSMS, etc, etc.

carmenodie

macrumors 6502a
Apr 25, 2008
Seriously, you give out a free mobile OS to a bunch of handset guys and now you think you're king of the world?
Eric isn't even playing Apple on the same field. Let Google do its own phone with no other handset maker using Android and lets see Google battle it with Apple that way.
If Google comes out on top, THAT WASY, then I'll give then their props.
But giving out your sh** for free to a bunch of clowns that put out a dozen models of cellphones a week is weak.

Newton70

macrumors regular
Sep 29, 2011
Yeah, like how the iPhone always has wifi problems needing you to wipe your phone.

I'm curious...how badly did Apple wound you? Equally curious, why would someone allow a brand and/or mobile operating system to cause them such anguish?

kuwxman

macrumors 6502a
Jul 25, 2009
Kansas City
I DO NOT want an ad-based phone OS!!!
That's cool...since Android isn't an ad based OS.

I've used both Android and iOS devices. Just recently switched from a 4S to the Nexus 4 until I'm eligible for my next AT&T upgrade (5S?). Both are great. Both have their pros and cons. There are some things the iOS devices do better (screen sensitivity is one!) and there are some things Android does better. Neither one is a end all be all device.

slffl

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2003
Seattle, WA
You call this winning Eric? Eric Schmidt, the Rupert Murdoch of the tech world.

Attachments

• 735_Apple_s_Astonishing_Profit_in_Context_n.jpg
    735_Apple_s_Astonishing_Profit_in_Context_n.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 181

bjm2660

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
Virginia
"We will end up with a not perfectly controlled and not perfectly managed bigger pie by virtue of open systems."

Translation: Our pies will suck, but there sure will be a lot of them!

Technarchy

macrumors 604
May 21, 2012
One amusing point of the Eric Schmidt interview was how dismissive he was of Microsoft.

Also, Eric Schmidt as a speaker and public figure is far more articulate, presentable and likeable than that mumbling muppet Larry Page and the completely uncharismatic Sergey Brin.

I guess there is a reason why Eric tends to be the man out front.

petsounds

macrumors 65816
Jun 30, 2007
He has that same slimy, self-satisfied smirk that Bill Gates used to have.

I can't stand Mr. Schmidt. He's a businessman who has corrupted the original values of Google, and it seems likely he used his privileged position on the Apple board to steal iPhone trade secrets.

But really, I don't care who has the bigger marketshare. That was never what Apple was about. It was about making the best products. I think competition is a great thing, as long as it's above-board competition.

Oletros

macrumors 603
Jul 27, 2009
Premià de Mar
I can't stand Mr. Schmidt. He's a businessman who has corrupted the original values of Google, and it seems likely he used his privileged position on the Apple board to steal iPhone trade secrets.

Exactly what secrets did he stole?

You know that even Jobs didn't accused him of nothing?

Aug 5, 2012
You have to hand it to Eric, he's 100% right.

Like for like Android is just that much better for its users than ios.

Will apple to adapt to come out on top?... Unlikely!

Renzatic

Suspended
Regarding the thread, better shut up, Schmidt, it is better for all of us

I'm gonna write him a letter asking him not to say anything ever again. Every time the guy opens his mouth, we have a teetotal freak out spaz-fest around here.

OH GAWWW THE DEVIL I MEAN ERIC SCHMIDT SAID SOMETHING LETS CALL HIM A THIEF FOR 3 DAYS STRAIGHT THEN BURN SOME EFFIGIES FOR EFFECT!

crazy dave

macrumors 65816
Sep 9, 2010
Winning like the 90s is nonsensical

Maybe I'm mistaken, but I think this whole discussion is off base. Eric Schmidt brings up Microsoft-Apple, but that was the 90s. The OS wars don't make any sense anymore - especially not for mobile. The ease of mobile development, the basic functionality of the phone, and thus the interconnectivity of the devices means that a developer can reach every device of a particular operating systems. A developer can cater to a niche market, where as long as they will buy or otherwise spend money on the app, they will have success. iOS has a healthy app ecosystem - tested and proven for app-makers. The difference between now and the 90s is that doesn't change as much with a smaller market share. Microsoft trounced Apple because it gained such a wide-margin over market share that developers found it too cost ineffective to develop for it and retailers wouldn't stock Apple software. Thus people wouldn't buy Apple products because they couldn't use their favorite applications and people didn't develop for Apple because it was too hard to reach the few people who owned a Mac. However, those issues are ameliorated significantly when you have digital retail and app development has come a long way since then on all platforms. True Microsoft and BlackBerry have more limited ecosystems, but unlike the 90s, because they are down, doesn't mean they are (necessarily) out. I see a lot more fluidity in the mobile OS space than the computer OS space and the computer OS space is healthier than it's ever been. OS X still has a much smaller OS-share than Windows, especially around the world. However, the app ecosystem for OS X is better than it has ever been. Part of that is because of increased market share in the US, but part of that is digital retail and better development tools make it easier to develop for and sell to customers regardless of how small your market share is. There may be a limit to how many OSes the mobile market can support, but I bet it's more than two and won't end up with one completely dominant as the 90s OS wars did.

In short, iOS has a healthy ecosystem. Android has a healthy ecosystem. WinPH8 and BB aren't quite as healthy, but again things are more fluid. "Winning" doesn't mean what it used to mean. If someone likes Android, great! If someone prefers iOS, good for them! It doesn't matter. Their consumer choice is unlikely to affect your ability to get the next device of your preference or have a healthy ecosystem for your device. No one has market share dominance like the 90s, it is not clear anyone will be able to achieve that kind of dominance, and it won't matter quite as much even if they do.

Last edited:

freddiecable

macrumors 6502a
May 16, 2003
Sweden
Apple would benefit more from diversifying it's product line more. Like they did with the iPod. Shuffle, nano, touch, classic. Four versions for different needs.

They should do the same - I'm sure there is a demand for:

1. iPhone mini - not very different from the iPod nano but larger. It does not have to be latest A-ship or retina. Just small, sexy, casual and basic. 3.0" or 3.5".

2. iPhone classic - 4". Basically the current iPhone 5.

3. the New iPhone. Like this rumor:

https://www.macrumors.com/2012/12/1...-mid-2013-with-nfc-128-gb-storage-6-8-colors/

Apple needs to be on the case. Even though Apple earns a lot more money on iOS than Google on Android they still need to have a close eye on user base and market share. There can come a time where simple the share will shrink without diversification.

Apple would benefit SO much by allowing a slightly more open system. This includes letting some of the great jailbreak developers start porting their apps over to the 'legit' side...LockInfo, Multifl0w, biteSMS, etc, etc.

Attachments

• Skärmavbild 2012-12-10 kl. 19.40.26.png
    Skärmavbild 2012-12-10 kl. 19.40.26.png
    316.9 KB · Views: 99

Dave-Z

macrumors 6502a
Jun 26, 2012
I guess "winning" really depends on what one defines as the goal.

If your goal is market share, sure, you're "winning."

If your goal is profit, you're getting your butt handed to you on a silver platter. The platter is silver, because if you don't remember, iOS searches bring you more revenue than Android searches.

And by the way, Eric, as a former CEO and now chairman, I would expect you would know that the only metric that really matters is profit. So, in summary, you are losing.

That said, I do like Google's services (mail, reader, etc.).

iMacprobook

macrumors member
Apr 6, 2010
UK
I've nothing at all against android, (except perhaps the bad name), but who really cares about all this we are 'winning the war' crap anyway?? We all choose which phone & platform we prefer, some choose android, some choose iOS, some choose whatever the other's are. From my own experiences in conversation with many people, a considerable number do opt for android. Though after a short while, they end up with iOS.

There is no comparison.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.