Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

ThomasJL

macrumors 68000
Oct 16, 2008
Google Maps = more iPhone 5 sales?

Apple may think they are losing customers with the release of the new Google Maps, but I think that is wrong in many cases. I, for example, have not bought an iPhone 5 because of the previous lack of a Google Maps app. Since there is a Google Maps app now, I will buy the iPhone 5.

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2003
UT
It really proves that Google is all about you using their services... regardless of device.

Or manufacturer.

Or OS. (even Google's own OS)

It's all about the money. And the iOS platform is a moneymaker... too many eyeballs... too big too ignore.

I get it. And I also feel iOS maps is a dead man walking.

Seriously...fancy appearance and cool SIRI integration is on death row for people who want prefer a nav app that actually works, no matter what. Translation, the vast majority of iPhone users want to navigate wherever via car, foot, transit, whatever and just have it work. Google saves the day.

I ditched physical GPS units many years ago and use Google Nav/Transit on my Android phones. It's been 100% flawless, nationwide (and in Mexico).

Best, iOS mapping team. Hope you have a backup project.

ammonkapow

macrumors member
Dec 13, 2012
iGoogle (but not THAT iGoogle)

So Google just released the Google Maps app, but more importantly released URL API's that allow apps to link straight to Maps and other Google apps in the future. I think this is way more impressive than maps.

Consider an iOS subnet of Google apps that entire circumvent the default apps. Use the Search app to find a location (using voice, no less), route it on Google Maps, set an event located there on Google Calendar, and send invites to it using Gmail. I think that is very incredible considering how locked down iOS is. Also, friends that get any links from these apps will open them in Chrome, automatically.

Now consider how powerful that is on devices missing Siri, or iOS 6, or almost every advance Apple has left off of older mobile devices. iPod Touch 4th gen just became a lot more valuable.

With that groundwork laid, Siri's most used command could be "Launch Google Search".

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2003
UT
Maybe they're going it to pull the App forever in a year or two so then we really HAVE to switch to Android because their Maps are so much better? lol ;)

Use a modern Android device and you will quickly realize the maps are gravy.

It's simply superior vs a grid launcher.

Truth.

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2003
UT
Apple may think they are losing customers with the release of the new Google Maps, but I think that is wrong in many cases. I, for example, have not bought an iPhone 5 because of the previous lack of a Google Maps app. Since there is a Google Maps app now, I will buy the iPhone 5.

There you go. Lost Android customer. Confusing, Google. :confused:

DodgeV83

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2012
I never said I hate Apple. I genuinely have issues with how they sue everyone who makes competing stuff

This is what companies do, especially tech companies. Every medium to large tech company has lawyers employed to literally do nothing but sue people all day. It's just how business is done. It isn't until Apple got involved that the media realized they could produce link-bait articles about it for profit.

Are you aware that Nokia and many other companies sued Apple for the original iPhone?

harry68

macrumors newbie
Apr 24, 2010
Where is the 45° 3D view?

I can only see old satellite views, but not the new views like in the PC-browser version.

rhgold53

macrumors newbie
Dec 12, 2012
Whenever I try putting in a start point and destination, Google maps gives me only a "preview" button in the lower right corner, which leads to the old-fashioned written set of turns. How do I make it give voice directions?

coolbreeze

macrumors 68000
Jan 20, 2003
UT
This is what companies do, especially tech companies. Every medium to large tech company has lawyers employed to literally do nothing but sue people all day. It's just how business is done. It isn't until Apple got involved that the media realized they could produce link-bait articles about it for profit.

Are you aware that Nokia and many other companies sued Apple for the original iPhone?

Who has Google sued? Have they sued Apple for the blatant shade swipe-down feature in iOS?

someone28624

macrumors 6502a
Aug 15, 2007
Buffalo
be carefull, your statement is well written.

every one wants competition for apple, and when they get it, those folks shout 'embarrasing for apple'.

google was holding apple hostage with an archaic maps app that google refused to update. apple called their bluff, and google caughs up their trumping card. if any thing, apple forced google's hand, and apple products are now better. apple wins, the consumer wins, google lost their lofty place in the ios echosystem. who wins the most?

This. This. This.

katewes

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2007
Now that there's Google Maps for iOS, there must come a point when Apple realises there is no point in trying to compete in maps. Apple doesn't have the will and energy to put into maps to do well. It's too far from their core area of expertise.

kewldude

macrumors newbie
Jul 14, 2011
No one should be 100% committed to any corporation. Yes, I love Apple, but I integrate a variety of different products and services from all different tech companies into my life depending on what I like best. I've been using Google maps for such a long time, I don't see any reason why I'd abandon it just because Apple came out with a map application of their own...

I like Windows OS for desktops/laptops and the applications they come with, I like Google internet services (Gmail, Chrome, Google Search, YouTube), love Samsung's smart TVs, and I love Apple's mobile/tablet hardware/iOS... you should integrate different products and services into your life as opposed to blindly following one company, it's unreasonable.

I think Apple should have just simply acknowledged that Google obviously has the maps/satellite/search feature to their advantage -- each large tech company has their advantages and should be able to accept that. Google should acknowledge that Facebook has the advantage in social networking, etc.

Very well said!! Take the best of both worlds (all worlds) instead of blindly following any one company.

entropys

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2007
Brisbane, Australia
There you go. Lost Android customer. Confusing, Google. :confused:

You are thinking this wrong, because Google makes SFA money from android. It makes money from mobile search. So, in this case, they kept their advertising customer's product they would not have if the product was waiting until Apple Maps was up to scratch before buying a new phone. Now they will buy one that has google's data mining tool on it. Everybody wins.

labars

macrumors member
Oct 8, 2011
This Google Maps app ALONE is worth the price of admission of the iPhone 5.

Apple should really be kicking back some of the profits they make off iOS now back to Google.

If Google acted like Apple, they would have kept Google Maps exclusive to Android. Instead, they allowed iOS users have it for FREE.

Google supports customer choice whereas Apple believes in creating a monopoly.

Google believes in offering the best user experience despite jeopardizing potential revenues whereas Apple believes in protecting potential revenues despite jeopardizing the user experience.

Bravo Google! Thanks for making our iPhones complete again. :)

You make it sound like Google is doing some sort of charity work on iOS. They make money from the app, and that's the only reason it's on iOS.

k995

macrumors 6502a
Jan 23, 2010
There was nothing like the iPhone on the market. I don't need to repeat what others say for what I saw just 5 years ago.

Plenty of simular in idea and design out there before and right after the iphone was released. As anyone who actually used a lot of devices and software at the time saw the whole market moved towards such screen centered devices, that didnt just start after apple released the iphone.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.