Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Since we're talking about symbols that mean {Buy, Don't buy, Neutral} perhaps the Buyer's Guide could use a set of symbols like {up arrow, down arrow, dash} or {plus, minus, 0} or {happy face, sad face, no-expression face}.

They could still be shiny or 3D graphics but then we color blind won't care what colors they are.

Some samples I spotted with Google images:

Attachments

• Plus__Orange-css-sprites-tutorial.png
    Plus__Orange-css-sprites-tutorial.png
    2.9 KB · Views: 573
  • up_arrow_green_sm.gif
    up_arrow_green_sm.gif
    1.4 KB · Views: 515

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Im colorblind with tritanopia
Hi goldeneagle64. Welcome to the color blind club.

How does being a tritanope affect you on a day-to-day basis?

Does the Vischeck tritanopia simulator work for you? By working I mean that if you click "Tritanope" and upload an image that includes blues and yellows, it'll produce a before-and-after simulation where both images look about the same to you. If it works then that lets people with normal color vision get an idea of what the image looks like to you.

-tWv-

macrumors 68000
May 11, 2009
Ohio
My best friend is color blind. We always make him play the game "bubble shooter" where you have to shoot colored bubbles that match which then eliminates sets of 3 or more. It's quite funny to watch him attempt to distinguish the colors and then get frustrated when he is convinced that the colors match and don't.. Hehe :rolleyes:

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Here's an iPhone or iPad 2 app that does live color blindness simulation (protanopia, deutanopia, tritanopia, or monochromatic) through the iPhone or iPad camera:

bdodds1985

macrumors 6502a
Jul 18, 2011
Tartarus
I don't know how the military handles color blindness but I am going to look into. I will also show as many of my soldiers this image to see who can see it. That way I won't ask them for "SPOT" or "SALUTE" reports describing something about color :D

ppcg4mac

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2012
Northwest Kansas
You probably see a 3 in this image, but approximately 3000 to 4000 MacRumors members do not. They are color blind.

View attachment 97052

I only see a 3 because I know there is one. Yesterday, I got in a argument with my dad over which LED was on in my Xbox's power supply, I thought it was green, but it ended up being orange.

My best friend is color blind. We always make him play the game "bubble shooter" where you have to shoot colored bubbles that match which then eliminates sets of 3 or more. It's quite funny to watch him attempt to distinguish the colors and then get frustrated when he is convinced that the colors match and don't.. Hehe :rolleyes:

Try Hexic (free, Xbox Live) or Breakthru (For system 7 or various Nintendos), both have green and yellow pieces, I cannot tell the difference, though in Hexic there is a mode that puts shapes on the pieces.(Yes, I am evil)

Regarding today's announcement of the MacRumors 2011 Redesign, which included a redesign of the Buyer's Guide:

What do we color blind MacRumors users suggest as an alternative? Should the icon shapes at the top be a red diamond, green circle, and yellow square, or are there more elegant choices?

What about the colored triangles next to the products? Is the text sufficient even if we can't identify the colors?

Screenshot:

There is yellow??? Huh, you learn something new every day

Last edited:

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
I play some iPhone games where I can't tell the colors apart, and I figure I'm just playing at a higher difficulty level than everyone else!

You're now on our honor roll, ppcg4mac.

Mito

macrumors regular
Jun 17, 2012
Hello guys.

I can see 3 (or 8) in that picture but just if you would tell me that there is some number, normally it would take me a few sec to see it.
Anyway my friend is colour-blind (I guess his spectrum of red is a bit different) and he has Graphic company, pretty succesful. (And no, he just does not have company, he also works there). Just want to tell I THINK that colour-blind people can do whatever they want without being in disadvantage.

ppcg4mac

macrumors 6502
Feb 13, 2012
Northwest Kansas
I can barely see the difference between the green and yellow blocks in this level of BreakThru!, when I was playing on my eMac, I couldn't tell the difference at all.

Attachments

• Btru!.JPG
    Btru!.JPG
    46.9 KB · Views: 169

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
You probably see a 3 in this image, but approximately 3000 to 4000 MacRumors members do not. They are color blind.

View attachment 97052

About 5% to 8% of men/boys and about 0.5% to 1% of women/girls are color blind, which means they have a deficiency in their perception of color. The rate of occurrence varies depending on ethnic background and ancestry, differing from country to country.

I am color blind.

I've been red-green color blind since birth. Technically, I have congenital dichromatic protanopia. Translation: I can't see red. I see no numbers in the color circle above.

Sorry I'm late to this one. I may ask questions that have all ready been answered. If so, my apologies. To me that image looks like a red three on a green background. So do you see greens and the reds look like greens?

Here is another pic:
Color56.jpg

Red 56 on a green background.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
Sorry I'm late to this one. I may ask questions that have all ready been answered. If so, my apologies. To me that image looks like a red three on a green background. So do you see greens and the reds look like greens?

Here is another pic:
Red 56 on a green background.
To me the reds look like some shade of some other color. Somtimes that's green.

I can see the 56 in your image, although there are a few gaps in the lines. This is a simulation of what I see:

Attachments

• 56-protanope.jpg
    56-protanope.jpg
    9.8 KB · Views: 2,300

skunk

macrumors G4
Jun 29, 2002
Republic of Ukistan

I can see the 56 in your image, although there are a few gaps in the lines. This is a simulation of what I see:

That's almost exactly what I see, yet Clients still seek my advice on colour schemes!

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains

Interesting. In your simulation, the reds look like muddier darker versions of the green portion, which to me look more like dirty yellows. I can see the problem with distinguishing the colors.

Jimbo47

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2010
Very interesting thread. I'm not color blind per se, but I do sometimes struggle with different shades, especially darker shades. Show me and 20 other people a very dark shade of blue, everybody would say its blue, I'd probably think of it more as purple and vice versa.

-Concept-

macrumors member
I can't tell the difference between red/green and variations either. Great post, really provided some insight. I HATE it when people point at a fire hydrant or stop sign or a tree or something and ask me "What color do you think that is?" ......

MuddyPaws1

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2012
I have a friend that does graphic design and sometimes he will ask me to look at something for him because he knows that I *will* see it different. I'm useful!

I have a fried that gets paid to look at designs both for print ads and television because he is color blind. I mean he does other design work also but part of his job is reviewing other's work.

Huntn

macrumors Core
May 5, 2008
The Misty Mountains
Go ahead and ask me questions about being color blind, because I'm curious what people would like to know. And anybody else who is color blind (or has a color blind friend or relative) is welcome to speak up too.

You can't distinguish between red and green. I wonder what you see when you view a red versus what I see. Are you seeing a red, a green, a gray or something else? In the spectrum of colors for red, I see a warm color, more intense than yellow. Can you distinguish between a red and a yellow or a gray?

This reminds me of the discussion made in the movie, the Matrix where the character Mouse talks about what Tasty Wheat tastes like. :)

So is colorblindness a camera issue (eye) or a software issue (brain), a combination, or they don't know?
Thanks!

Last edited:

TheAppleFairy

Suspended
Mar 28, 2013
The Clinton Archipelago unfortunately
What a great thread, I am not done reading through this yet though. There are a lot worse things out there than being color blind, but this is something I think people should be aware of. Instead of getting angry at a car who might hesitate at a traffic light, give him the benefit of doubt. If anything a friendly honk rather than an angry raging honk.

One question, Doctor Q might be able to answer, are there any racial aspects to color blindness? Are some races more vulnerable than others or immune? I don't have anyone in my family that I know of that has any color blindness, so I doubt I carry it. I will have to ask my wife if her family has any issues.

Doctor Q

Administrator
Original poster
Staff member
Sep 19, 2002
Los Angeles
You can't distinguish between red and green. I wonder what you see when you view a red versus what I see. Are you seeing a red, a green, a gray or something else? In the spectrum of colors for red, I see a warm color, more intense than yellow. Can you distinguish between a red and a yellow or a gray?
Red-green color blindness means that you are poor at sensing the red in colors or poor at sensing the green in colors. It doesn't directly mean that you can't tell red from green, although with certain shades that's often the case. Compared with what people with normal vision see, someone who doesn't sense green or doesn't sense red will confuse various shades of red, orange, yellow-green, and green with each other. They will also see purple, violet, and lavender as blue. The world's palette simply has fewer choices.

When people don't sense green, colors are still as bright but some of them are sensed wrong. It's because the green-sensing cones aren't working or are sensitive to a range of wavelengths that's shifted away from green toward the red side.

When people don't sense red (like me), it's the red-sensing cones making the mistake; they don't work or their sensitivity is shifted toward the green side. For some reason, colors also look dimmer to these people. If you find it harder to tell colors apart at dusk than in bright sunlight, you're having the problem that I have all the time.

So is colorblindness a camera issue (eye) or a software issue (brain), a combination, or they don't know?
In almost all cases it's a camera issue. Rods and cones are our sensors and when they don't work you get less information collected at the source. If your digital camera's CCD worked for some wavelengths but failed for other wavelengths, you'd have the same problem.

Certain rare types of head injuries can cause color blindness too, by damaging the neural paths that send color sensations to the brain. In that case it's not really a "software" problem (a brain-processing malfunction) but more like a network failure.

One question, Doctor Q might be able to answer, are there any racial aspects to color blindness? Are some races more vulnerable than others or immune? I don't have anyone in my family that I know of that has any color blindness, so I doubt I carry it. I will have to ask my wife if her family has any issues.
Color blindness is genetic, so by chance it's occurred more often in some populations than others. Red-green color blindness affects about 8% of Caucasian men but only about 5% of Asian men and about 4% of African men.

If people have a very minor deficiency in color perception, they may not notice it in daily life. They may become aware of their minor color blindness only when they fail a color blindness test (one of those circles with the dots). On the other hand, if they have a major deficiency they'll know they are color blind because other people refer to (what they see as) one color by two different names. Since I see purple as blue, I observe that people use two different words (purple and blue) to describe the same color (blue).

Women are rarely color blind, since the recessive trait is inherited on the X chromosome. That means that a man with one "bad X" will be color blind while a woman with one "bad X" will not. She'll just be a carrier, passing along the gene to half her children. Women are color blind only if they have two bad X's.

TheAppleFairy

Suspended
Mar 28, 2013
The Clinton Archipelago unfortunately
Color blindness is genetic, so by chance it's occurred more often in some populations than others. Red-green color blindness affects about 8% of Caucasian men but only about 5% of Asian men and about 4% of African men.

If people have a very minor deficiency in color perception, they may not notice it in daily life. They may become aware of their minor color blindness only when they fail a color blindness test (one of those circles with the dots). On the other hand, if they have a major deficiency they'll know they are color blind because other people refer to (what they see as) one color by two different names. Since I see purple as blue, I observe that people use two different words (purple and blue) to describe the same color (blue).

Women are rarely color blind, since the recessive trait is inherited on the X chromosome. That means that a man with one "bad X" will be color blind while a woman with one "bad X" will not. She'll just be a carrier, passing along the gene to half her children. Women are color blind only if they have two bad X's.

Thanks for the reply, that is interesting.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.