Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
At last!! hahaha Apple has caved in and waved the white flag, it's given up and admitted defeat in the Maps game.

Now if they can just reintegrate it into iOS too that would be great. I will also wait to see video comparisons of the new iOS Google maps versus the Android one before believing someone else's 'opinion' that the iOS one is better designed! Because that reads like a pure Apple fanboy comment.

iThinkIt

macrumors regular
Mar 21, 2012
Florida, USA
Google is still screwed up in my area.. roads names completely wrong or in a location that does not exist.

I have sent many request for updates in my area.. I seem to be sending in at least one a month. To my satisfaction they are changing when the requested is received and verified. :cool:

I have sent in multiple request to apple to update apple maps... to date i have not received any replies or seen any of the items updated. :confused:

ThatsMeRight

macrumors 68020
Sep 12, 2009
So...huh? Didn't "apple maps" come into existence because google wouldn't include turn by turn? Now they're including turn by turn for free anyway? I'm super confused. This, aside from siri support, makes apple maps feel pretty useless. Even though i do like the look of apple's a little more

It's quite simple actually. As the rumour goes Apple wanted turn-by-turn and Google refused. Google thought Apple wouldn't be able to deliver a non-Google maps app anytime soon. Apple announced their new Maps app, surprising Google since Apple still has a license on Google Maps. They lose customers (iOS has quite a lot of users). Google offers new app with all the functionality they didn't want to include originally.

bushido

Suspended
Mar 26, 2008
Germany
Because you have to jailbreak to pirate apps on an iPhone.

oh that argument is as dated as apple vs samsung

jb =! pirated apps, hell the source for those repos isnt even part of cydia by default. many many people jb for tweaks to improve whats missing on the standard OS

nice try tho

p. s. u dont even need to be jailbroken to "pirate apps"

back to topic: waiting for a cydia tweak to let me set google maps as the default one :)

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Thanks Google for such an awesome app!:D

To be fair we'd have never gotten this app had Apple not decided to drop Google from its built in maps app. Now we have an even better app than before because Google had an incentive to create one.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
It's quite simple actually. As the rumour goes Apple wanted turn-by-turn and Google refused. Google thought Apple wouldn't be able to deliver a non-Google maps app anytime soon. Apple announced their new Maps app, surprising Google since Apple still has a license on Google Maps. They lose customers (iOS has quite a lot of users). Google offers new app with all the functionality they didn't want to include originally.

Only that's wrong.

Ballis

macrumors 6502a
May 27, 2008
Oslo, Norway
Nah, sorry. Casual users do care. This is such a big deal it's making front page news in the UK newspaper websites.

I expect well over 80% of users to switch.

Heck, more than 5% of iOS users Jailbreak.

Well I disagree. But even if you consider this a PR lose-lose for apple, you now have Nokia, Google and Apple maps available for free, so it's a win-win for users. I'm sticking with Apples maps for now.

samcraig

macrumors P6
Jun 22, 2009
USA
Nice try.

We still have Google's maps on one older iPhone (a 3GS) and the maps clearly say "Google" at the bottom of every map image. There was never any mystery as to the source.

They wanted the App itself not to just say "Maps" but Google Maps. They also wanted integration of Latitude.

KnightWRX

macrumors Pentium
Jan 28, 2009
Quebec, Canada

Revisionist history at its best. That's not how the story goes at all.

Apple asked Google for the new features provided by the back-end and for permission to implement turn-by-turn using Google's data. Google asked in return for more prominent branding in the app and for Apple to integrate Lattitude (Find my Friends, but by Google) into iOS. Apple didn't see this as acceptable and thus leveraged their mapping acquisitions to build their own.

Google never refused anything. They simply made an offer Apple didn't accept.

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Jan 31, 2003
I still think Apple maps looks a lot nicer, way cleaner UI and everything else. Although its good to have google maps app as well. But I'm sticking to Apple Maps, it never gave me any problems and nothing beats it being built into the core of iOS.

scottishwildcat

macrumors 6502
Oct 24, 2007
I really don't agree that it's better than the Android app -- different, certainly, but missing useful features like offline maps. And there's no iPad version yet, just an upscaled iPhone version, which doesn't look great.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Take note Apple. This is how a maps app is done. These apps are not even on the same level.

CausticPuppy

macrumors 68000
May 1, 2012
Take note Apple. This is how a maps app is done. These apps are not even on the same level.

Ironically, we wouldn't have gotten this Google Maps app at all if Apple didn't kick out Google from their own maps app and try to make their own.

We'd still be stuck with a non-voice-navigation limited functionality app.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
Glad it's finally back. Really puts Apple's pile of crap to shame.

Stick to what you're best at please Apple.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
Glad it's finally back. Really puts Apple's pile of crap to shame.

Stick to what you're best at please Apple.

Why did Apple decide to get into maps in the first place? Doesn't really make sense to me. But then I also think its a bit unfair to compare Apple and Google since Google has been at this for 7+ years. All the more reason I guess that Apple should never have gotten into the maps business in the first place.

comatose81

macrumors 6502a
Dec 17, 2009
Nah, sorry. Casual users do care. This is such a big deal it's making front page news in the UK newspaper websites.

I expect well over 80% of users to switch.

Heck, more than 5% of iOS users Jailbreak.

Nah, you're wrong. Do you even realize how many people 80% is?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.