Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iaddict

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 15, 2007
I'm looking for a good app or other software that will enable me to easily fax to and from my iMac. We just moved and do not have a landline- don't want the extra expense but I do need to be able to fax documents at least once a week if not more often.

killerrobot

macrumors 68020
Jun 7, 2007
There's a lot of fax services available online. Most are free if it's under a couple pages/fax, but they add an advertisement to your coversheet.

I've never had any problems but if the fax contains personal info I'm always leary about uploading it to a website and will usually go to kinko's or use my work's fax for those.

robgendreau

macrumors 68040
Jul 13, 2008
Maybe this post needs to be in the dinosaur section :D

There isn't much you can do except use an online fax service. Cost is going to depend on how many you send, and whether you need a fax number to receive faxes.

Some of these services have "free" clients, but some just allow you to send an email to an address and it's converted to a fax. Like InterFax. It also allows you to send faxes from Google Docs. eFax is another that's been around a while. Many are now set up for high volume stuff since hardly any individuals fax anymore (I feel your pain; in law faxing is still used quite often unfortunately). Find the service that works for you; they'll have a client or a way to do it.

And depending on what you're faxing you might need a scanner.

iaddict

macrumors 6502
Original poster
May 15, 2007
Okay. I was hoping there might be an easier way. My company may not be too keen on using an online service but I will check. Thanks for the responses.

djharris

macrumors member
Jun 10, 2009
Virginia, USA
Okay. I was hoping there might be an easier way. My company may not be too keen on using an online service but I will check. Thanks for the responses.

You may want to use a physical fax machine and, since you don't have a landline, a service like OOMA. You can also send and recieve faxes via Skype with PamFax, but you will have to pay for skype. (I pay about $3/mo for unlimited outgoing calls via skype)

caseyh

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2007
hellofax.com is really going strong in this market. It's web-based, cheap, and effective. There are free options, too for light use. I'd highly recommend checking them out. They also recently introduced hellosign, a companion service for electronic signatures.

sunandsurf

macrumors regular
Jul 23, 2008

MCAsan

macrumors 601
Jul 9, 2012
Atlanta
Can't or won't the folks on the other end take a PDF attachment in email? After all, that will give them a digital image...that they do not have to rescan to archive. If they want to print it...that is their choice.

BruiserB

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2008
I have a MagicJack Plus VOIP line at home just as backup and it works fine for faxing. Only 19.95 a year when you buy 5 years of service. Or 29.95 on a year at a time basis. Despite the schlocky commercials and apparent crappy customer service if you read the reviews, I've been happy with the service. Just be careful signing up as they use every opportunity to upsell you to more than their basic line.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.