Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SanjeevRana

macrumors 6502a
Aug 2, 2011
It seems that iCloud is still a drainer (well any such service would be) ... I recently migrated my email to Zimbra and setup exchange for Email/Contact/Calendar/Reminder and turned off these in iCloud ... and voila ! ... not only did battery improve (higher standby+usage) the whole email experience became better ...

Apple really needs to get iCloud Email upto standard!

Browns2212

macrumors regular
Dec 6, 2012
Orchard Park, NY
My update from yesterday:

Fully charged at 12:30 pm yesterday.

Normal usage during the afternoon on LTE, including about 1.5 hours of TuneIn Radio, which is a battery drainer.

Went home at 5 pm and made some calls, played some games, texts, email, twitter, facebook, etc. This was all on WiFi. Then, about 8.5 hours of standby while I slept.

Got up this morning and did some basic stuff, like above.

9 AM I have 15%

Usage = 4 hours, 45 mins

Standby = 20 hours, 19 mins

gapperonduty

macrumors 6502
Jun 30, 2010
Whao this thread is STILL going strong with the obsession over battery life! :)

Aren't you guys, by now, removed from the initial excitement and begin to enjoy the phone as it is? Fretting over 1-2 extra hours seems, at this point,....tiresome :)

I was once watching the percentage and usage time like an OCD manifestation! but then it wears off, and now I am happy with what the phone offers and one huge load of weight off the shoulder! :) LOL...BUT...to each his own! :)

//back to thread! :)

stoneland

macrumors member
Nov 4, 2012
^ LOL yeah :p I was never one to care about battery life...I'm always able to charge my phone. I use my phone for what it is...I never use Wifi so I know my battery life is affected by that :p

zub3qin

macrumors 65816
Apr 10, 2007
I took my AT&T iPhone 5 roaming in Southern India. With data turned off, the phone would last 4 days before needing charging with occasional call use + frequent music use. Data roaming was too expensive for me, so did not use 3G.

Back in AZ, I would be lucky for the phone to make it through the day. I have only marginal LTE leaking in from neighboring Phoenix - causing the horrible battery suck.

Traveling to india for 2 weeks with my unlocked iPhone 5. Is it easy to get nano-SIMs for iPhone 5 as a prepaid/pay as you go? Where? Airtel? Aircel?

Thanks!

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
Traveling to india for 2 weeks with my unlocked iPhone 5. Is it easy to get nano-SIMs for iPhone 5 as a prepaid/pay as you go? Where? Airtel? Aircel?

Thanks!

It is possible to get nano SIM's on a prepaid rateplan on Airtel. I did not go that route because of new identity proof regulations from the Indian government requiring a local government issued ID and taxpayer number to activate an account. But if you have friends or relatives willing to stick it out for you, its possible.

yanki01

macrumors 68040
Feb 28, 2009
just died and took a screen shot of when it turned back on. :cool:

image-1_zpsfeeb1501.png

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
half day of cellular usage I was at a bit more than 50% with 4 hours usage (wifi OFF 3G/data ON) and that was with various web activities. No music etc.

8 hours standby.

Really impressed so far, better than my 4S.

Magaman

macrumors regular
Aug 14, 2009
I can tell you compared to the Droid Charge I just got rid of the iPhone 5 is able to be used the same amount of usage during the day and when I get home from work I still have over 60% left. My CHarge would be dead with about 2 hours of work still left. I can also last 2 full days without charging if I only have light usage. The Charge would be dead at end of day even with minimal usage.

Right now I'm sitting at 2 Days 3 Hours Standby, 4 hours 9 mins Usage and I'm at 60%. That is good in my book. Oh and all in LTE and/or wifi.

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
Here's my usage today, wifi off until I got home about 30 mins before (not used on wifi for more than 2-3 mins).

Used for spotify for about an hour earlier (offline playlists so not streaming and also Facebook/last fm scribbling was on).

After music listening etc it was 80%, since then I did light Facebook and texting, 3G on all the time. My phones new so it's probably just adjusting (wasn't like this yesterday).

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1355942714.823361.jpg

MVRL

macrumors regular
Oct 17, 2011
Wi-Fi is better than Cellular data. I want to see if your iPhone 5 can last up to 10 hours of usage on Cellular data :)

I know 3G uses less battery than LTE, but here is my usage

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    131.4 KB · Views: 96

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
I got the iPhone 5 yesterday. I charged it full, synced over the apps, added my e-mail accounts and calendars, set the brightness on about 20-25 % (no automatic adjustment). This is what I got after filming about four minutes (without flash)/taking a few pictures during dinner, a three minute phone call, some texting, some fly over with the map app and just general mucking about to try some of the features and such. All on fairly good 3G reception, about 100/5 MB received/sent.

2012-12-25%2000.57.32.png

I've heard the battery life actually improves after a few cycles, so here's to that happening... Because this can't be considered normal...

Merry Christmas :)

Last edited:

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
Here are mine from the last 4 days. They are great, but the standby drain of 1-2% an hour at night when it doesn't do anything is bugging me for some reason :(

Attachments

• IMG_7399.PNG
    IMG_7399.PNG
    105.4 KB · Views: 109
  • IMG_7372.PNG
    IMG_7372.PNG
    104.3 KB · Views: 97
  • IMG_7359.PNG
    IMG_7359.PNG
    105.6 KB · Views: 110
  • IMG_7336.PNG
    IMG_7336.PNG
    106.2 KB · Views: 95

D A

macrumors regular
Nov 21, 2008
Took this after the phone started up after shutting down, I didn't use the phone very much over the past week though.

Attachments

• IMG_0208.PNG
    IMG_0208.PNG
    108.5 KB · Views: 96

BigMcGuire

Cancelled
Jan 10, 2012
TerribleBatteryLife.PNG

I'm getting TERRIBLE battery life :(. At this rate I'll have to charge after 4 days of usage. I'm going to return my phone and stop using Apple products. Absolutely TERRIBLE. Apple is going to the crapper after Jobs is gone. :( Do you think Apple will let me exchange? No, I will not stand for ****** products anymore... I will demand a full refund.

(yes ... /SARCASM).

Last edited:

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
Took this after the phone started up after shutting down, I didn't use the phone very much over the past week though.
This is absolutely INCREDIBLE!! Do you have wifi/bluetooth/3g/lte etc on or off?

Absolutely STUNNING standby!

12%

Usage: 6 hrs, 45 mins

Standby: 1 day, 22 hours

And I've been listening to TuneIn Radio for about an hour and it's a huge battery killer app.

Woah, very impressive! I am sure that something that my phone does irritates the standby time. Going to test airplane mode one night to check the drop.

View attachment 385910

I'm getting TERRIBLE battery life :(. At this rate I'll have to charge after 4 days of usage. I'm going to return my phone and stop using Apple products. Absolutely TERRIBLE. Apple is going to the crapper after Jobs is gone. :( Do you think Apple will let me exchange? No, I will not stand for ****** products anymore... I will demand a full refund.

(yes ... /SARCASM).

This was not needed. I am not complaining about my battery life, but I am just trying to maximise it.

teejaysyke

macrumors regular
Aug 5, 2012
My battery has been amazing. I got 10 hours of HEAVY HEAVY NON STOP USE.

I woke up at 6:30am used it NON stop until around 3:30 and it was at around 27% so that was 9 hours, I probably could have went another 2.

hafr

macrumors 68030
Sep 21, 2011
Those of you getting really high numbers, are you killing each app directly after use, or do you let it stay "alive"?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.