Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Abecedario

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 13, 2012
Hello guys, I'm really thinking about getting an ipad mini but I'm not really sure about its screen, does it have gorilla glass? If so, what type is it?

adeon

macrumors newbie
Jul 23, 2012
It does not feel like glass to me. Feels different than the iPhone don't know what else to describe it with sorry )

Panch0

macrumors 6502a
Feb 23, 2010
Virginia
Corning has been identified as the glass supplier for the iPhone. Not sure if that has ever been confirmed for the iPad or mini, but it seems pretty likely.

bmat

macrumors 6502
Nov 24, 2004
East Coast, USA
It does not feel like glass to me. Feels different than the iPhone don't know what else to describe it with sorry )

I agree. It feels plastic like to me. I'm not bashing -- I like the mini. But it doesn't have the same feel as my iPhone or my old iPad.

kodeman53

macrumors 65816
May 4, 2012

I agree. It feels plastic like to me. I'm not bashing -- I like the mini. But it doesn't have the same feel as my iPhone or my old iPad.

That's because the screen technology is different between the i5 and the Mini. It has nothing to do with whether the glass is GG.

While I can't imagine Apple sourcing multiple kinds of glass for their iPads, what difference does it make whether the Mini has GG or not? Without some kind of case/protection, if you drop an iPad, or drop something on it, the screen will crack.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.