Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

young_sohn_samsung-150x148.jpg
In an interview with MIT Technology Review (via The Verge), Samsung Chief Strategy Officer Young Sohn reveals that he is in fact an Apple user. Sohn, who joined Samsung in August, uses a Mac, an iPhone, and an iPad as his personal devices, and cites Apple's ecosystem as a major advantage for the company.
OK, so think about Apple compared to Samsung. I use a Mac, actually, at home. I've always used Mac, an iPhone, and an iPad. I also have the Galaxy. So I'm a great example.

If you look at the strengths of Apple, in a way it's not the product per se. It's that consumers like their ecosystem such as iCloud. I like that my family 6,000 miles away in Korea is able to see my schedule and see all of my contacts and photos. It is sticky, but it is a proprietary architecture.
Sohn goes on to note that he believes Samsung devices such as the Galaxy Nexus are better than the iPhone but that the convenience of Apple's connected ecosystem brings a critical aspect to the user experience. In Sohn's view, Samsung needs to move beyond its current device-centric model and work with partners to embrace a model of an open ecosystem to provide a quality user experience.

Sohn also briefly addresses Apple within the context of Samsung's effort to set up operations in Silicon Valley, noting that Samsung is focused on the broader opportunities involving 6,000 startups in the region and not driven by a desire to take on Apple on its home turf. Sohn praises Apple as "a very innovative company" and points to Apple's role as both customer and competitor of Samsung as defining their relationship.

Article Link: Samsung's New Strategy Chief an Apple User, Cites Ecosystem Benefits and 'Stickiness'

macnerd93

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2009
United Kingdom
Samsung's stuff is just not as nice to use as Apple's.

I've tried a lot, including their latest offerings like the SIII & the Note to me they just seem to lack an x-factor. Not sure how else to explain it.

SaaGua

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2010
Samsung's NEW New Strategy Chief

Next story...

Samsung's NEW New Strategy Chief, replacing the current Mr. Sohn...

:p

JayLenochiniMac

macrumors G5
Nov 7, 2007
New Sanfrakota
Sohn goes on to note that he believes Samsung devices such as the Galaxy Nexus are better than the iPhone but that the convenience of Apple's connected ecosystem brings a critical aspect to the user experience.

Who does that sound like? The many fandroids here who can't help but visit the iPhone forum on a daily basis. They know internally that the iPhone is the better device.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
They found his head in a ditch 20 minutes after this interview.

I met several Samsung executives when I was in Korea and quite a few of them had an iPhone. They weren't trying to hide them and in fact, they even made a little fun of me since I have an old 3GS.

bfreecity

macrumors newbie
Jan 8, 2010
Breaking News!

This just in:

Samsung exec figures out Apple has sound business strategy!

Next week...

Samsung exec opines that Apple probably hires "good product designers" and that the Apple logo is "recognizable."

incoherent1

macrumors member
Jun 5, 2007
This is getting interesting. In my mind, the more competitors like Samsung try to compete with Apple on its home turf (e.g. ecosystems like iCloud, etc.), the better everyone's products will get (whether you're an Apple or Android user), so I say bring it on!

Just hoping they learned their lesson on patent infringement and actually invent rather than copy...

doomfront

macrumors regular
Sep 19, 2012
Samsung's stuff is just not as nice to use as Apple's.

I've tried a lot, including their latest offerings like the SIII & the Note to me they just seem to lack an x-factor. Not sure how else to explain it.

Sure you did.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.