Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TimUSCA

macrumors 6502a
Mar 17, 2006
Aiken, SC
so you ask people at apple stores what brand they're most excited about?!

seriously? lol

Guess what product most people are excited about at a donut shop? Yes a donus! :p

That's not the point of this article. It's about WHY people like Apple's products, not IF they like Apple's products.

MacFoodPoisoner

macrumors regular
Dec 1, 2012
For me its just the fact I do more work.

I keep finding my self sitting behind my Mac thinking... whats next.
Same goes for my phone and the rest...

With windows I had a lot more options/possibilities... but the downside is you need to configure them all, and keep them up to date.
In the past I lost a minimum of 1 hour a day with configuring or updating or testing... With my Mac I boot it, and go to work.

There is just nothing else to do with you Mac besides working and making use of it. No more tweaking, tooling, updating, testing, searching...

So in my personal case it saves me 1 hour a day...

It used to be like this for me too, when I switched to os x way back when. Sadly my personal experience is that's not the case anymore. I 've spent countless hours for example trying to hack around or disable lion's and mountain lion's (to a lesser extent, because the shock came along with lion) "features". That and the countless bugs cropping up the past couple of years. I 've regretted taking part of my business to apple's platform, and I am certainly not recommending macs to anyone I know anymore. Let alone, "converting" (ugghhh, the religious connotations of this...) anyone.

dennno

macrumors regular
Jul 22, 2011
Not surprising, Apple appeals to the masses with the simplicity of their software. It's not for everyone though, techies still want more options.

For mobile it's perfect, because I don't really want unnecessary widgets and other junk that clutters the screen. But for desktops features and capabilities are a must and take precedence over simplicity and lacking functionality.

nStyle

macrumors 65816
Dec 6, 2009
Today's article quotes several users on Android tablets and phones, with one saying "although they are cheaper, you have to re-buy everything." Another said "Apple's got me in now." In fact, Samsung's chief strategy officer is an Apple user for the exact same reasons.

Someone should really correct this. You don't have to "rebuy" everything on Android.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
so you ask people at apple stores what brand they're most excited about?!

seriously? lol

Guess what product most people are excited about at a donut shop? Yes a donus! :p

That is not what was said. They are looking at the traffic in the stores.

Before I bought my first iphone I never set foot in an apple store.

RiverCitySlim

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2011
If Google (and Samsung and Microsoft) want to beat Apple they need to do one simple thing:

Make a better iTunes and make it work seemlessly with Android.

Currently Android phones are a nightmare to sync and have some of the worst UX I've ever seen. I've gone back to an iPhone after a year of misery with an Android phone.

I truly hope Google never forces an iTunes like system on it's users. If they do I'll be looking for another platform.

Suspended
Dec 27, 2003
Huh?

Good luck to anyone who might have this guy as a lawyer in the future, they are going to need it...

Comparing a phone ui with that of a windows pc... Does a mac have any less buttons than a windows pc? :rolleyes:

What's with people getting interviewed for reuters or such sites that they are almost uniformly morons, is it because people who perk up and volunteer to offer their precious opinions to news sites are usually rather vapid?

Every elderly person I've met thinks Windows is far more confusing looking than OS X.

h1r0ll3r

macrumors 68040
Dec 28, 2009
Maryland
I asked 17 people in a Microsoft store what product they were most excited about this year. They said iPads.

iGrip

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2010
It's the Ecosystem, Stupid!

With Apple's iOS rapidly losing market share, and with Android increasingly dominating in sales, how long will devs keep supporting the underdog?

It's the Ecosystem, stupid. And for Apple to remain on top of the ecosystem wars, it has two choices: Get back its lost market share, or spend huge amounts on R&D to make lots of exclusive, "must-have" software in-house, like they were forced to do with maps.

Without market share, the third-party devs will pay as much attention to iOs as they do to OSX. IOW, almost none.

killerbee79

macrumors member
Jul 11, 2008
Wisconsin
WOW, you interview 70 shoppers worldwide???? That is a joke of a sample size. With that number of people talked to you are pretty much manufacturing the results. It would be like me going to my Apple store and asking 1 shopper, that would be the equivalent to what this survey did.

If you want to make a claim like they are at least ask a number in the thousands.

NAG

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2003
/usr/local/apps/nag
With Apple's iOS rapidly losing market share, and with Android increasingly dominating in sales, how long will devs keep supporting the underdog?

It's the Ecosystem, stupid. And for Apple to remain on top of the ecosystem wars, it has two choices: Get back its lost market share, or spend huge amounts on R&D to make lots of exclusive, "must-have" software in-house, like they were forced to do with maps.

Without market share, the third-party devs will pay as much attention to iOs as they do to OSX. IOW, almost none.

You conflate marketshare with people actively using the devices as computers. So far, Android cannot convert marketshare to usage (e.g. iOS usage stats for Black Friday shopping). This is doubly bad if they use a sell the blades business model like Amazon where they do not profit unless people use the device.

As far as Maps, you are again confusing Google vs Apple as far as bargaining position as well as the fact that Maps is built in compared to other companies (Google wanted concessions as far as access to user info). Even then Google quickly brought a Maps app to market and they even admitted it was superior to what they have on Android as far as UI. So your argument doesn't hold water.

Last edited:

DMVillain

macrumors 6502a
Jul 20, 2011
While 70 is a very small (and possibly bias) sample size, this is definitely true for me. I'm sure that phones like the Samsung Note do more, but I'm too deep in the ecosystem (by choice) to want to care.

Bchagey

macrumors 6502
Feb 10, 2011
I like apple products for numerous reasons..but one in particular is software and software updates..my iPad 2 is running iOS 6 and will probably run iOS 7 and 8.. If it was an android tablet from a year or 2 ago it would not be receiving updates and would be left behind..

Kludge420

macrumors regular
Apr 20, 2009
I truly hope Google never forces an iTunes like system on it's users. If they do I'll be looking for another platform.

Sorry, I did a bad job of expressing my point. iTunes as in a central app to download music, podcasts, apps, etc. that will automatically sync with my phones. Plug it in and it works; no muss, no fuss.

jayducharme

macrumors 601
Jun 22, 2006
The thick of it
It most certainly is a tax, not in the literal sense but a mandatory premium you pay now that you are in the ecosystem because it is very tough to leave.

But how is this different from any other platform? If you have hundreds or thousands of dollars invested in Windows apps and hardware, how likely are you to switch to Apple? If you have an Android device and lots of apps for that, will you dump it all and buy an iPad? Or do you look for an OS that lets you have the best of both worlds (such as running Windows virtualized on a Mac)?

stepshows

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2010
Second!

I like apple only because of their operating systems.

Apple just makes better products in general. They delivered the iPhone at the right time--when others were still fumbling with their 10 different versions-per-year and buy-one-get-5-free strategies. Just make it better and the eco system will practically build itself from the millions of satisfied users.

Ubele

macrumors 6502a
Mar 20, 2008
Good luck to anyone who might have this guy as a lawyer in the future, they are going to need it...

Comparing a phone ui with that of a windows pc... Does a mac have any less buttons than a windows pc? :rolleyes:

What's with people getting interviewed for reuters or such sites that they are almost uniformly morons, is it because people who perk up and volunteer to offer their precious opinions to news sites are usually rather vapid?

In all fairness, I doubt that the guy was comparing the iPhone to a Windows PC, because I can't imagine a 27-year-old law student being that clueless. My guess is that the reporter talked with him briefly about the iPhone vs. competitors' phones, and then about Macs vs. Windows PCs, and then selected one sentence from each part of the conversation. Reporters quote people out of context all the time.

johncrab

macrumors 6502
Aug 11, 2011
Scottsdale, AZ
People (including me) buy Apple products because they work. I know I won't be queuing up to return a dead piece of junk or something that doesn't do what the manufacturer says it will do. Issues are fixed by remote control and new features are added. I'm not abandoned as soon as my credit card is swiped. That's why Apple products sell. Why should I buy 2-5 pieces of cheap junk hoping to get something that will do what I need when I can get it right the first time?

aristotle

macrumors 68000
Mar 13, 2007
Canada
*WHOOOSH*

Did you hear that sound? I think the person you were replying to was that Android lacks an easy way for average people to manage their devices and the apps stored on them. They are asking for an easier experience for "them".

For all your posturing, I bet that you use Google play and every other google service. All this talk of "choice" is marketing bullcrap anyway. You "can" use alternatives but you can also shove toothpicks under your fingernails too.

If I was an Android user, I would probably use the easiest and most comprehensive options available.

The real "choice" you have is the platform you choose. Everything else is an illusion.

Realistically, on iOS, you have a lot of choice for book stores and I would gain nothing but headaches from security risks, scams and incompatibility with multiple stores for apps.

NAG

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2003
/usr/local/apps/nag
But how is this different from any other platform? If you have hundreds or thousands of dollars invested in Windows apps and hardware, how likely are you to switch to Apple? If you have an Android device and lots of apps for that, will you dump it all and buy an iPad? Or do you look for an OS that lets you have the best of both worlds (such as running Windows virtualized on a Mac)?

Either they have to have a third party store like Steam where you get versions for multiple platforms or they have to have the ability to give discounts based on owning software for the competing platform (e.g. I think Adobe had a cross platform discount, not sure now because I stopped caring). The App Store won't allow any of this because they don't have to (believe me, Apple will instantly change the rules if they start losing people in enough quantity). Don't know if the Google Play store has the ability to give people discounts based on owning iOS software.

Rogifan

macrumors Penryn
Nov 14, 2011
WOW, you interview 70 shoppers worldwide???? That is a joke of a sample size. With that number of people talked to you are pretty much manufacturing the results. It would be like me going to my Apple store and asking 1 shopper, that would be the equivalent to what this survey did.

If you want to make a claim like they are at least ask a number in the thousands.

Of course if these 70 people said they hated Apple's products and planned to jump ship no one would give a hoot about the sample size and would proclaim The end of Apple. :D

----------

Hmmm...I can't remember the last time I used iTunes for anything. Maybe it was when I got my iPhone 5 and set it up off my 4S backup. Otherwise I never use it.

Loge

macrumors 68030
Jun 24, 2004
England
Earlier this week, a questionable Reuters article compared Apple's lock-in ecosystem with a "tax" that users are required to pay to have access to their previously purchased apps and content. Aside from the misuse of the word "tax", that piece was correct in that Apple has locked in its users.

Regarding content, you are certainly not locked in to music files, and the lock-in for movies/video/books results from the DRM which is not Apple's fault.

NAG

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2003
/usr/local/apps/nag
Regarding content, you are certainly not locked in to music files, and the lock-in for movies/video/books results from the DRM which is not Apple's fault.

iCloud represents the bigger lock in here. If people start using iOS devices independent from their computers they won't even have local copies of these things anymore. As much as I like the Apple ecosystem, it would be nice if there was some ability to export from iCloud. This would apply to things like your word processing documents, not just your music, videos and apps.

TallManNY

macrumors 601
Nov 5, 2007
I was really expecting it to be the price... I mean:
The way they slimmed down the iMac, removed features and ruined it's magnificent sound only to increase it the completely justified 200€ ($260) extra is totally worth it. I mean, my desk thrilled about the weight reduction...

:rolleyes:

Is the sound worse on the new iMac? That is disturbing. And if so, it is another reason I'm happy with my 2011 iMac. I wonder if the 2011's resale value is going to remain higher because it is the last iMac with a DVD player. And if the sound is better as well, hmmm.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.