Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

xterratop

macrumors member
Jun 27, 2007
Dallas, Texas
Great App for password security App

I purchased the iOS version for my iPad and noticed that you can also install it on your iPhone as well. So, if you purchase it once, don't have to purchase it for other devices.

Their 1Password 3.x for mac is in the App store but did not update yet to their new 4.0 version. They said that those of you who purchased a current 3.x version will receive the upgrade/update for free. Yes, it's $50 HOWEVER its a great program. A few months ago I purchased Datavault Password Manager and couldn't figure it out. The GUI isn't pleasant to look at either so I researched and found 1Password.

The best part of this 1Password app is that you sync your data to either your Dropbox or iCloud. At the moment, the desktop 1Password App only syncs to either your wifi or dropbox but I'm sure that'll change when they update the App.

EmpyreanUK

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2011
UI "upgrades" don't appeal to me. It's a password manager for pete sake. Version 3 works fine enough for that. Plus I use Dropbox syncing so iCloud syncing is not a feature I would jump for.

If all of this is truly the case then my recommendation to you would be to not buy 1Password 4.

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
So this doesn't work from within Safari? You have to go into the app and launch your password protected site from the app?

Correct. This is a limitation of iOS since Apple don't allow plugins for mobile Safari. It does suck, but hopefully Apple will change this in the future.

This only works for when you've already got 1Password open, not for the initial launch unlock. Still, better than having to enter master password every time 1Password locks.

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2010
Bought the app, but it's useless until I can sync with the iMac, and I won't buy that until it's in a bundle deal again. It can wait until that happens. I think the issue is that because it has gone on sale fairly often for a considerable amount less (this time at 50%, in bundles for less with other software) that buying it at full price really does feel a little like a cash grab.

NAG

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2003
/usr/local/apps/nag
I got tired of having to pay £££ for every platform I wanted to use 1Password on, and major updates costing £££ to upgrade as well, so I stopped using it.

Yet you buy a subscription service?

I'm using LastPass now and to me it beats 1Password in every way - It's multiplatform, it doesn't require me to store my database locally on every device, the mobile platform is a single charge ($12/yr) and can be used on all my mobile devices (no seperate charge for iPhone, iPad versions).

1Password v4 is universal (they had a universal iOS app for v3 as well). Yes, you'll have to buy the app for Mac or Windows separately. Additionally, the lack of centralized storage of the information is kind of a feature since it doesn't provide people wanting large amounts of personal information a one stop shop.

1Password always struck me as 'nickel and diming' me every time I wanted to have it on a different platform or different device so they've lost me, my wife and my friends as customers.

Yet you're okay with a subscription service? I wouldn't use the phrase nickel and diming if you have a service that requires you spend money to retain access to your information.

Edit: Reading the full list of changes in this new version of 1Password, it reads like an itemised list of features already present in LastPass

iCloud support? Which features?

Bought the app, but it's useless until I can sync with the iMac, and I won't buy that until it's in a bundle deal again. It can wait until that happens. I think the issue is that because it has gone on sale fairly often for a considerable amount less (this time at 50%, in bundles for less with other software) that buying it at full price really does feel a little like a cash grab.

You're not going to get a bundle deal. They're going App Store only I believe which makes it impossible for them to do bundles (why v3.9 was cheaper at launch on the Mac App Store and why it will get updated to v4 for free and why v4 on iOS is 50% off for launch). They might drop the Mac App Store price again at v4 launch.

Last edited:

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2010
You're not going to get a bundle deal. They're going App Store only I believe which makes it impossible for them to do bundles (why v3.9 was cheaper at launch on the Mac App Store and why it will get updated to v4 for free and why v4 on iOS is 50% off for launch). They might drop the Mac App Store price again at v4 launch.

Hmm, that's too bad, I was actually warming to the idea of a bundle. But as you said, they can still offer deals to just the software, and I'll wager they will before too long. It doesn't even require a v4 launch. I wouldn't be shocked if there was a boxing day sale or something. Whatever the next price break is, I'll go with that.

NATO

macrumors 68000
Feb 14, 2005
Northern Ireland
Okay I'll rephrase as I'm not sure I put that the best way originally.

I don't mind a $12/yr subscription to LastPass because that's all I need to worry about (and besides, it's free apart from the mobile app - if I wanted to get a password without using the app I could use Safari on my iPhone/iPad to get it, the dedicated mobile app is a convenience more than anything else).

When I was using 1Password in the past, I had a choice of seperate apps, or a more expensive Universal app (for iPhone AND iPad). Once I paid for that, I had to pay for the Mac OS X app. Then when I needed to access my passwords at work I had to buy the Windows app too. Then of course if a new version came out I'd have to purchase all those over again.

I just couldn't be bothered with the hassle of it all, so I went with LastPass, I pay a simple $12/yr and I get unlimited access and updates through the Chrome extension on the Mac/Windows desktop and access through the mobile app on my iPhone and iPad.

I understand people wanting to store their passwords on Dropbox rather than trusting them to the LastPass servers and I fully respect that. However, on the balance of things, LastPass suited me better for the reasons above.

It's just my opinion, I know people choose the tool that suits them best and that's fair enough.

avanpelt

macrumors 68030
Jun 2, 2010
Am I missing something? If someone doesn't want to upgrade, they can keep using their existing copy of 1Password on their iOS devices, correct?

I just launched 1Password 3.x on my iPhone and it still works just fine. Looking at the new features of 1Password 4 and thinking about how I use the program, I don't really see it being worth it for me to upgrade at this time. 1Password 3.x already does everything I need.

NAG

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2003
/usr/local/apps/nag
It's just my opinion, I know people choose the tool that suits them best and that's fair enough.

Fully respect that, I just didn't understand your original reasoning since it seemed contradictory (and 1Password for iOS was a complete disaster until recently so it is understandable).

Drag'nGT

macrumors 68000
Sep 20, 2008
I don't see the point. I have the current version and it exists to tell me my passwords on the go when an app either forgets due to an update or something. I only use it to see my password and copy paste it in place. That function isn't worth $8. It's no where near as useful to me as the desktop app.

This update would have to allow integration into mobile Safari for me to even see a reasonable point in the update.

farleysmaster

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2008
London, UK

I think you can use iTunes filesharing or direct import via the app. I haven't upgraded the mac app, but it's not useless to me.

----------

Am I missing something? If someone doesn't want to upgrade, they can keep using their existing copy of 1Password on their iOS devices, correct?

I just launched 1Password 3.x on my iPhone and it still works just fine. Looking at the new features of 1Password 4 and thinking about how I use the program, I don't really see it being worth it for me to upgrade at this time. 1Password 3.x already does everything I need.

Only thing I would say is, it's fairly cheap and may not be as cheap later if you decide you do require the features.

AppleInLVX

macrumors 65816
Jan 12, 2010
I think you can use iTunes filesharing or direct import via the app. I haven't upgraded the mac app, but it's not useless to me.

Ah, so then I can somehow get at the data and do copy/paste to Safari on my mac? If so, then that's a decent workaround until I get the desktop version. Thanks for the tip, I will check that out!

farleysmaster

macrumors 6502a
Feb 8, 2008
London, UK
I assume (not sure) you can use the file it generates for Dropbox.

----------

Direct import would be if you had the previous iPhone app on your device

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
This update would have to allow integration into mobile Safari for me to even see a reasonable point in the update.

Sadly, not possible. Limitation of iOS itself. If it were possible, a lot of apps that have their own inbuilt browsers would be doing this already.

NAG

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2003
/usr/local/apps/nag
Sadly, not possible. Limitation of iOS itself. If it were possible, a lot of apps that have their own inbuilt browsers would be doing this already.

I keep hoping that the next version of iOS will have some sort of Services feature but they keep disappointing me.

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
Mac v4

Any word on when the Mac v4 will be released? I understand I can buy the 3.9 version and upgrade for free but I want iCloud support on all of my devices. I am new to 1Password. I went ahead and bought the iOS version but don't plan to enter my data until I get the Mac Version. Is their a beta version of Mac v4?

NAG

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2003
/usr/local/apps/nag
Any word on when the Mac v4 will be released? I understand I can buy the 3.9 version and upgrade for free but I want iCloud support on all of my devices. I am new to 1Password. I went ahead and bought the iOS version but don't plan to enter my data until I get the Mac Version. Is their a beta version of Mac v4?

Version 3.9 is fully compatible with v4. The only thing it lacks is iCloud sync so you'll have to use Dropbox (or direct syncing which is a huge pain in the rear). You can do both iCloud and Dropbox syncing at the same time so it isn't a huge deal. You'll have to get the Mac App Store version though so I'd keep an eye out for sales there.

ryanide

macrumors 6502
Jul 23, 2002
Worth the $8!

This is not a simple update. This app is completely new. The new integrated browser is awesome. The easy access to auto-fill addresses and credit cards in addition to the logins are really handy. I will probably never use Safari for any online accounts or commerce again.

This app is now universal whereas the prior iPhone and iPad apps were separate purchases.

If you ever tried to create any graphics for these apps, you would know how much work these guys have put into this new version. It's worth $8 alone just for the aesthetics.

Any anyone who thinks that storing your passwords in an excel document is a great alternative to spending $8, deserves to have your identity stolen! See how much you'd pay then.

ngenerator

macrumors 68000
May 12, 2009
USG Ishimura
I'm liking the idea of it, however I haven't been able to use v4 yet. I keep getting the error "Failed to list data folder in Dropbox. The operation couldn't be completed. (dropbox.com error 404.)

bummer

NAG

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2003
/usr/local/apps/nag
I'm liking the idea of it, however I haven't been able to use v4 yet. I keep getting the error "Failed to list data folder in Dropbox. The operation couldn't be completed. (dropbox.com error 404.)

bummer

I believe it is looking for 1password.agilekeychain in the 1Password directory at the base of your Dropbox (Dropbox/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain). They changed where it was located somewhere along the line.

ngenerator

macrumors 68000
May 12, 2009
USG Ishimura
I believe it is looking for 1password.agilekeychain in the 1Password directory at the base of your Dropbox (Dropbox/1Password/1Password.agilekeychain). They changed where it was located somewhere along the line.

I just got it as I was pulling up this thread to see if anyone had an answer :) Before 1P4, the keychain file was just located in Dropbox/ , but now there is a 1Password folder in Dropbox that it was looking for. Looks like the migration from v3>v4 on my phone didn't work the way they wanted it to. Oh well.

Thanks for the help, and the confirmation :)

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.