Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

RedTomato

macrumors 601
Mar 4, 2005
.. London ..
As a deaf person I've used the uk's equivalent 'text 911' service - EmergencySMS - several times.

Works really well. If there's enough interest I might put up an anonymised transcript of one of my texted emergency calls.

Note in the UK you have to pre-register (a very easy process which is done via text message :)) to be able to send texts to 999 (our 911). I think it's cos of capacity - only enough for deafies, who actually need this service, - not enough to deal with stupid drunk hearies firing off texts to 999.

HMI

Contributor
May 23, 2012
You're right about that, but perhaps this requirement would prompt Apple to detect its a 9-1-1 txt and skip looking for an iMessage contact and send it straight along?

I know a few times I've iMessaged someone who's lost connectivity, it can be 30-90 seconds before the phone "figures it out" and routes as SMS. As the first responders always point out, seconds count, so it's a small step but helpful.

Somehow I get the feeling though that as carriers implement txt to 9-1-1, Apple would be right there anyhow. No reason not to.

I'm wondering if it would automatically send a users Apple ID, "me" contact card info, and as much location info as possible (whether GPS or "wifi assisted GPS"), so emergency response can identify who (theoretically) is contacting them and where the emergency might be. I'm sure this would all happen on a device level and be passed along as quickly and directly as possible.

If this comes to an iPod touch, it would be one more viable reason for some to choose an iPod touch over an iPhone.

NAG

macrumors 68030
Aug 6, 2003
/usr/local/apps/nag
911 should be accessible by all means of communication.

Will be a sad day when Xbox voice chat has 911 access.

That being said, don't see why anyone would need iMessage access to 911 when you have SMS access (unless they want you to be able to chat with 911 from your Mac or iPad).

My main question is, how are they supposed to route you to the right 911 call center? They'd have to have your device geo-locate you and send that info to the iMessage server (which would potentially break the iOS security model if it does it without asking permission). Trying to figure out where the person is by IP would not be accurate enough.

Frankly, I think Facetime to 911 would be more useful so the operator could see what is going on and maybe help.

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Not a complaint per-se, but SMS isn't exactly the best way to get a distress signal out there (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Short_Message_Service#Unreliability). That coupled with some past iMessage service issues could pose a problem. I realise people drop calls and the like, but at least you know immediately as opposed to a text message which just zips off into the void.

Not so much a concern with having iMessage support specifically, but using text messages in general for 911 calls.

Agree.

Text messages -- even text messages to 911 -- are merely a notification; until you get a confirmation from the receiving party, you can't assume any actual communication took place.

Also, this assumes that the text message service availability is guaranteed, which I'd bet flies in the face of the TOS for most (if not all) text message providers.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
Why would ANYONE complain about this?

Because someone would see the title saying "would require Apple to.." And start in a huge rage along the lines of

"HOW DARE SOMEBODY TELL APPLE WHAT TO DO!! APPLE SHOULD JUST BUY FCC!"

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
Because someone would see the title saying "would require Apple to.." And start in a huge rage along the lines of

"HOW DARE SOMEBODY TELL APPLE WHAT TO DO!! APPLE SHOULD JUST BUY FCC!"

LOL! Has anyone said that in this thread? I wouldnt be surprised if there was more than one person making the comment...

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
LOL! Has anyone said that in this thread? I wouldnt be surprised if there was more than one person making the comment...

Do you remember the uproar about Micro-USB for iPhone in European countries? Apple themselves offered to conform to these guidelines and the thread was full of hatred and comments such as

"How dare the EU tell Apple what to do! Apple should stop selling products in Europe!"

And this was Apple offering to conform to a set of suggested guidelines.

kdarling

macrumors P6
It'll be amazing when it's released. Why in the world would anyone text 911?

Lots of reasons.

Imagine that you or a kid is hiding in a closet or under the bed while criminals are in the house. The last thing you want is to talk and give away your hiding place.

Or maybe you're choking and can't get enough breath to talk.

I'm sure you can think of other situations.

As for reliability, perhaps a 911 app can turn on SMS receipts, which every carrier should support. Or if u don't get an autoanswer right away, send again.

Glassed Silver

macrumors 68020
Mar 10, 2007
Kassel, Germany
iPods or iPhones being able to set off an alarm?
Sounds perfect!

However, this is a slippery slope.
iMessage works great almost all of the time, but SMS seems more robust.

I think regardless of SMS OR iMessage there should ALWAYS be a reply that confirms the delivery of the message, too.
Otherwise it goes like a) emergency b) set off alarm c) alarm never arrived d) death/permanent injury/unwanted kids/gozilla/21st December/...

Glassed Silver:mac

tbrinkma

macrumors 68000
Apr 24, 2006
Probably nothing. Until iMessage goes down and someone that wasn't able to contact 911 via text gets hurt. I wouldn't be surprised if there'd be some sort of an uproar because of that.

You do know that when something happens that it can't deliver the message through the iMessage servers, it falls back to the standard SMS/MMS services, right? That's how you can still text people you know who don't have iPhones.

Smigit

macrumors 6502
Feb 21, 2011
It's not a replacement for calls. It's an alternative.

I understand that. The point was that if you give people the option, they will use it, many over making a call when they could. With a call you know immediately if the communication has failed, an SMS on the other hand could be in transit for an unknown time (as per the article I mentioned), and even if it gets to the end point you still don't know if its being actioned. Emergency service staff aren't unknown to slip up.

It'll be useful in some cases, but the risk is that someone will send an SMS and immediately assume they have done all they can. There will be cases where people will use the less reliable service despite being fully capable of making a phone call. I saw not long ago someone on the news had used a phone to post a distress message on Facebook instead of calling emergency services, which is kind of sad.

ilovemyibook

macrumors 6502
Mar 19, 2006
Idiot: Omfg. We r getting robed!?!
Dispatcher: Where is the emergency? How many people are there? Any weapons? Is anyone hurt? What are the suspects wearing?

Victim (several minutes later): idk just send help

This will never work. I used to be a dispatcher and we have to ask a million questions, and I would sure hate to be responsible for trying to read text messages from people. Also, it's our responsibility to make sure the officer is safe, and we can't do that if we don't have a lot of details. I wouldn't send and officer to a robbery if I didn't have suspect/victim descriptions, weapons used, etc.

krravi

macrumors 65816
Nov 30, 2010
Why would this be better than just sending it as an SMS message?

----------

So, I should be able to email 911, or send them a letter in the mail? Kind of defeats the purpose. What about morse code?

Imagine locked up and handcuffed and gagged for ransom. Morse code is the only way.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.