Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JohnnyComeLatly

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 12, 2010
Question: I have two houses. One has everything (internet, TV, and phone). The second only has analog phone (no cable TV or broadband cable/DSL). I'd rather not have a 2nd cable/internet bill at the second house, since both houses are never used at the same time, however, I'd like to have on-demand TV/movies at the second house.

Can I use my AT&T iPhone 5 to stream movies from the Internet (apps, such as Hulu, iTunes, etc) via 4G LTE network, to the TV somehow? Two things come to mind: video out from the iPhone 5 straight to the TV, or, using the tethered internet service from AT&T, through the iPhone 5, to the Apple TV (either Bluetooth or local hotspot wifi). Ideas are welcome! :)

Only reqs are:
1) somewhat simple to install. I'm in Afghanistan so I have to be able to talk the wife, non-technical, through this over the phone
2) allows streaming of video (TV or movie) to standalone TV via an iPhone 5 with AT&T service, grandfathered unlimited data plan. I'd like to use a Apple TV but not mandatory.

The AT&T sales guy convinced my wife with U-Verse, she can DVR a movie at the 1st house, and then wirelessly (assuming through AT&T 4G LTE) watch it via an iPad at the 2nd house. What she didn't realize was the two iPads they have are WIFI only (no broadband at 2nd house to provide internet/wifi router). I have 4G/Wifi iPad (3rd) but I'm not giving it up. :D :cool:

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
You can use the Cellular network to stream tv if it is fast enough. However, with unlimited you may be trotted pretty quickly if you do it a lot. I did some testing a while back using a Slingbox (it does dynamic quality adjustment based on speed of connection) which allows me to watch anything that I get on my home TV. This may be your best option since not all video apps support AirPlay.

JohnnyComeLatly

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 12, 2010
Thanks. I called Apple Care and Apple Tech support for both iPhone 5 (which I have) and Apple TV (going to buy), and they seemed to indicated I wouldn't be able to do it. They were saying apps won't stream video over 4G, and it needs Wifi. On the one hand that makes sense because you can't download huge apps over 4G, but on the other hand it doesn't because you can stream YouTube straight to an iPhone for ?? long.

So, I'm back to square one. I think I'm going to buy two Apple TVs. I'll send one to the wife, and then set one up here in Afghanistan. I have 3G data here, but I can still test configurations/apps/etc to see what works to stream. Only downside is that most content blocks outside of the US clients. I defeat that with VPN on my iPad, but I have yet to get my iPad to tether with the latest iOS.

d21mike

macrumors 68040
Jul 11, 2007
Torrance, CA
Thanks. I called Apple Care and Apple Tech support for both iPhone 5 (which I have) and Apple TV (going to buy), and they seemed to indicated I wouldn't be able to do it. They were saying apps won't stream video over 4G, and it needs Wifi. On the one hand that makes sense because you can't download huge apps over 4G, but on the other hand it doesn't because you can stream YouTube straight to an iPhone for ?? long.
That is strange. You can stream SlingPlayer over 4G. However, you can not Airplay to the ATV that I can see. Probably since you are on a different network then your LAN (ipaddress not on same subnet).

JohnnyComeLatly

macrumors member
Original poster
Nov 12, 2010
That is strange. You can stream SlingPlayer over 4G. However, you can not Airplay to the ATV that I can see. Probably since you are on a different network then your LAN (ipaddress not on same subnet).

Not sure. Sounds like I just need to buy an Apple TV and see what works. Even if it doesn't work out, I can always repurpose it for different setup.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.