Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Bloomberg reports that a jury in Delaware has found Apple guilty of patent infringement in a lawsuit brought by MobileMedia Ideas, a patent holding firm organized by Sony, Nokia, and MPEG LA. The lawsuit, which was filed in 2010, ultimately focused on three patents MobileMedia Ideas claimed were infringed by the iPhone.
In its complaint, MobileMedia contended it would suffer "irreparable injury" if Apple was allowed to use the patented inventions in its iPhone without paying royalties.

[MobileMedia CEO Larry] Horn said one patent is for the camera phone and others cover call handling and call rejection. He said MobileMedia has a portfolio of about 300 patents.
mobilemedia_ideas_wordmark.jpg
The jury in the trial reportedly deliberated for approximately four hours at the end of the weeklong trial, finding that the patents were valid and that they had been infringed upon by Apple. No damages have yet been awarded in the case.

Article Link: Jury Rules Apple's iPhone Infringes Three Patents in MobileMedia Trial

macrumors 6502a
May 19, 2010
Karma makes me very happy.

F all the big corps. Period.

So many of these it is hard to keep track. Governments need to end this BS for all these companies and lawyers.

Last edited by a moderator:

Jeaz

macrumors 6502a
Dec 12, 2009
Sweden
I wish I could get a patent trial free version of MacRumors, because they couldn't interest me less. So bored of all this suing back and forth that's only really a profit the law firms.

dalbir4444

macrumors 6502a
Oct 30, 2012
I wish I could get a patent trial free version of MacRumors, because they couldn't interest me less. So bored of all this suing back and forth that's only really a profit the law firms.

You mean the lawyers right? (Unless you just called Apple a law firm:D) Along with the company that wins the lawsuits.

bbeagle

macrumors 68040
Oct 19, 2010
Buffalo, NY
Karma makes me very happy.

It's clear that the only thing you enjoy is taking sides, not fairness.

This is simply a patent troll company. They don't make ANYTHING. Their entire website is about their so-called 'patents', and how to license them from them.

http://www.mobilemediaideas.com/patents.html

Look at all those laughable patents.

If Apple had those, you'd laugh at Apple, talking about how evil they are. But when another company uses these patents, it's ok? If 'Mobile Media Idea' made phones with these patents, okay, but they don't. They're just a patent troll.

Either say all the patents suck, or patents are good - but don't take sides just against Apple. It proves your signature is a joke. Your 'blind worship' is anti-Apple.

Steviejobz

macrumors 68020
Jun 19, 2010
SoCal

i'm sure these big companies utilize a lot of in-house counsel

slffl

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2003
Seattle, WA
So according to the right wing trolls and Google, Apple is bad for suing to protect its patents, but when other companies sue Apple, it's ok. What a bunch of hypocrites.

DanteMann

macrumors 6502
May 23, 2011
Hopefully people will come to realize how companies have and must take ideas from other companies in order for the hardware and software to advance. Fanboys on both sides of the aisle need to understand that one company alone cannot come up with all the game changing features in hardware and software. Manufactures will borrow, copy, and take inspiration from it's competitors. Consumers need to stop taking sides like they're taking the side of a family member. It's ridiculous. Just let the market go where it will and encourage manufactures to keep innovating and fighting outside the courtroom. And you do this by deciding where your hard earned dollar goes.
Patent for a rectangle with rounded corners? Really? It's not just the patent office granting such a patent, but also the manufacturer that would even have the nerve to actually apply for such a patent. It's this kind of shlt that gets the market nowhere.

slffl

macrumors 65816
Mar 5, 2003
Seattle, WA
After all the crazy patents Apple claims, I wouldn't be surprised if this was just the tip of the iceberg.

Tip of what iceburg? Companies have been suing Apple for years. You just choose not read about them and instead focus on the anti-Apple link bait sites that only post about the Apple suites.

Edit:
Here's who's really suing who in the smartphonewars
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Smartphone_wars

Last edited:

hundleton1

macrumors 6502
Jul 29, 2008
Wales UK
So a patent on hanging up, nice.

Personally time to hit reset and null and void all current patent and start from scratch as FRAND does not work.

wikus

macrumors 68000
Jun 1, 2011
Planet earth.
Tip of what iceburg? Companies have been suing Apple for years. You just choose not read about them and instead focus on the anti-Apple link bait sites that only post about the Apple suites.

No, its not that he doesnt read them, its because nobody reports them.

Was there a lot of media buzz when Apple took a Polish online food delivery store to court because their website was named http://www.a.pl

That kind of crap is on the same level of shadiness as Monster Cables suing a mini golf business also using 'monster' in their name.

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
It's clear that the only thing you enjoy is taking sides, not fairness.

This is simply a patent troll company. They don't make ANYTHING. Their entire website is about their so-called 'patents', and how to license them from them.

http://www.mobilemediaideas.com/patents.html

Look at all those laughable patents.

If Apple had those, you'd laugh at Apple, talking about how evil they are. But when another company uses these patents, it's ok? If 'Mobile Media Idea' made phones with these patents, okay, but they don't. They're just a patent troll.

Either say all the patents suck, or patents are good - but don't take sides just against Apple. It proves your signature is a joke. Your 'blind worship' is anti-Apple.

some of these pattens look very generic.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.