Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

SarZ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 11, 2008
Recently I've been having a problem with my iPhone 5 power button.

It has become unresponsive when I press it. Sometimes it takes two to three presses on the button before the screen turns on/off

The strange thing that I noticed was that if I press to the right of the power button it always fails but works if I press on the left side.
Not sure if I'm making myself clear.

Is anybody else having problems with the iPhone 5 power button?

Jrocker

macrumors newbie
Nov 6, 2012
I am having the same problem with the power button. Pressing the power button does not work at all but if I press the left side of the power button (sometimes I have to press is 3-4 times) it will final work.

zman2100

macrumors regular
Apr 26, 2009
Florida

It has become unresponsive when I press it. Sometimes it takes two to three presses on the button before the screen turns on/off

The strange thing that I noticed was that if I press to the right of the power button it always fails but works if I press on the left side.

I feel like I remember seeing someone else post about having this issue so I don't think you're alone. Either way, it's likely a defective unit that would certainly warrany a replacement from Apple. Take it into a store and you shouldn't have any problems getting it replaced.

blaake

macrumors regular
Nov 3, 2012
Florida

Like previously stated, take it to the apple store and they should take care of you.

if you would like to know what the problem is, there is a little plastic spacer type ring that goes in between the physical button you press and the sensor it touches and they may have cracked or slid off its track

kpete005

macrumors newbie
Nov 13, 2012

Same issue here. Taking it in later today

SarZ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 11, 2008
My iPhone was replaced today at the Apple store. The whole process took less then 10 minutes.

I'm not sure if the problem with the power button was caused by a magnetic case I was using. The magnet was very close to the power button and the fault did occur after I started using the case.

No more magnetic cases on my iPhone, it's not worth the risk

Steve J0bs

macrumors 6502
Jul 30, 2008
I am having the same issue! Never dropped the phone. Pisses me off that it just stopped working all of a sudden. Any fixes yet?

SarZ

macrumors regular
Original poster
Mar 11, 2008
I am having the same issue! Never dropped the phone. Pisses me off that it just stopped working all of a sudden. Any fixes yet?

The only fix is to have your iPhone replaced by Apple

clarkthomas77

macrumors newbie
Nov 16, 2012
If you all having same problem of mobile suddenly shutting down then you can replace your iphone 5 by claiming on apple service center they will help you definetly

frescofresh

macrumors newbie
Nov 28, 2012
Today my phone started having the same issue, the power button would not work unless I pressed it on the left side....however after giving it a good ol' Nintendo style blow it WORKED! seriously, try it!

----------

Today my phone started having the same issue, the power button would not work unless I pressed it on the left side....however after giving it a good ol' Nintendo style blow it WORKED! seriously, try it!

actually........I retract my previous statement.....it only worked momentarily and now I'm back at square one..... going to Apple tomorrow to get this resolved!

SonRK

macrumors 6502
Aug 9, 2011
I just started having this issue yesterday. I need to go to the apple store tonight and get it replaced. Have to make sure they don't burn one of my apple care replacements. Damn it ! I hope I can replicate it in the store because it will work good for 15 clicks and then stop responding for 3-4. The right side definitely is the issue though

prokrastinator

macrumors newbie
Jun 30, 2010
I've been having the same issue with my power button for the last few weeks. Over half the time, it would take 2-3 presses before the screen shuts off.

However, I haven't been able to replicate the issue on a consistent basis. Usually it occurs after I hit Home to get out of an app, but even then it's not consistent. Those of you who brought the phone into the Apple store for a replacement, how were you able to explain and show the problem to the employee?

i-aamir

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2010
UK - London
I'm also having the same problem with mine now, doesn't work at all if you press it on the right side of the button which is also the case when I use the phone with one hand (right)! I hope apple will replace it for a new one as appose to a repair! Has anyone had any luck in store yet? I'm going to try the Milton Keynes store this week.

adm.hpe

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2012
This seems to be widespread issue. There is a plastic bit under the button and when it slips it becomes unresponsive. Everyone I know that's taken it back to the store have got a replacement straight away from what I'm aware of.

i-aamir

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2010
UK - London
This seems to be widespread issue. There is a plastic bit under the button and when it slips it becomes unresponsive. Everyone I know that's taken it back to the store have got a replacement straight away from what I'm aware of.

Thanks for the info - Looks like I'll be getting a replacement shortly :)

adm.hpe

macrumors member
Nov 16, 2012
Thanks for the info - Looks like I'll be getting a replacement shortly :)

Dive into the Apple Store - they've been really good with me and replacements of previous devices. Had nothing wrong with my iPhone 5 though.

xmarcuswildx

macrumors 6502a
Jun 15, 2010
Mine just started doing this too... Wtf lol.
Guess ill see if it continues if it does gonna get a replacement.

FixBrokeni

macrumors member
Dec 12, 2012
Very common problem after dropping an iPhone. A power button/lock button replacement will fix this issue.

Brad02

macrumors regular
Apr 8, 2011
Dang now my phone is having the issue. Have to hit the left side of it. That sucks. Please don't tell me it's going to be a new iP4 home button fiasco where everyones button will become very unresponsive. *fingers crossed for 5s early upgrade*

Noctis

macrumors newbie
Nov 14, 2009
Toronto, ON
Damn, my sleep/wake button is also unresponsive on the right side. I can tell it's loose because if I hold down the button near the right side the screen will flicker on and off. I brought it to Apple and the first associate said it was within spec, but the second associate said he saw what I meant, but told me to wait a bit and see if it gets worse.

The problem is that if I use my case this problem is amplified. Without the case, it's not too bad (3 out of every 10 presses), but with the case almost 40-50% of the time the button doesn't respond or the screen flickers on/off.

Anyone know what I should do to get a replacement/service?

PS. The first Genius: "It's within spec unless it doesn't work at all". The most complete and utter nonsense I've ever heard and, "You're pressing it wrong". Honestly that one made me laugh.

PeckhamBog

macrumors 6502
Nov 28, 2007
London
My September 2012 iPhone 5 began becoming unresponsive to the sleep/wake button yesterday. Getting worse today.

I bought it from Carphone Warehouse. Do I need to take it back to them or directly to an Apple store?

Last edited:

v3rn

macrumors regular
Mar 16, 2010
I've been having this issue recently too. I believe your best bet is to take it straight to Apple and they'll replace it no problems. The only thing holding me back is now I'll lose my tempered glass screen protector :(

Gonna hang on to it for now until I can't stand it anymore.

stucherbourg

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2013
Day 1 Non-functioning power button

Just took a brand new iPhone 5 out of the box. Had it sent to me as a replacement for my cracked screen iPhone 4. Called AT&T to activate & during the process to activate the guy on the phone tells me to turn off the phone. Turns out I can't turn it off because the power button doesn't work. What a bunch of wretchedness. Could these clowns bother to test the power button to see if it works? What clowns! & to think I paid $400.00 for a device I can't even turn off. You want me to be a happy customer Apple? AT&T? Send me a a second phone & say "We've screwed up terribly, this second line is on us. Here's an iPad mini for your troubles." That might work.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.