Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mark Booth

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
Your convenient omission is in the fact that Google always could've provided a stand-alone Map and Nav App that complied with the same rules every other developer uses. They deliberately did not chose that option. Now they have brought the same, and even better capability (by their admission) to the iPhone. The best Google mapping is on the iPhone now, not an Android. That press is certainly not negative for Apple.

You are misinformed. The previous (iOS 5 and earlier) Maps app was an APPLE product that used Google data. Reportedly, the contract between the two was for 5 years. That contract did NOT include turn-by-turn directions. Only Apple and Google are privy to the exact terms of the contract we can be absolutely certain that the contract would have also precluded Google from releasing its own version of a Maps app to compete with Apple's. It's simply common sense.

As that 5-year contract approached expiration, Apple wanted a new contract that would allow them to add turn-by-turn to its Maps app using Google's data. Google was willing to agree to that, but ONLY if Google received the benefit of the user data generated by the "new" Maps app. Apple wanted to retain control of the user data collection. They were unable to reach an agreement and Apple set off to work on sourcing maps data elsewhere.

Until the 5-year contract expired, there was never any possibility that Google would release its own Maps app. The contract with Apple would have prevented that.

And, UNTIL Google's Maps app (or its mapping data via an Apple-created app) is the DEFAULT Maps app in iOS, then the press is MOST CERTAINLY negative for Apple. If a user wants to use Siri to access Maps in iOS 6 (or from the user's contact list), that user is still stuck with Apple's crappy Maps app. VERY BAD PRESS, INDEED!

Mark

----------

They said they found McAfees location through the GPS location embedded in his iPhone photo. I’m guessing he forgot to upgrade to iOS 6! :eek:

:)

Mark

ReValveiT

macrumors regular
Sep 20, 2012
Lags like a total biatch on my iPhone 4. Runs just fine on the Mrs. 3GS.

What's that all about then?

John.B

macrumors 601
Jan 15, 2008
Holocene Epoch
Nice try? Huh? :confused: I was clearly saying that it is fair to want branding; there is nothing to read between the lines, if that is what you are doing. How much branding, I am not sure. The "old" maps had a small watermark in the corner of the map. I can only assume Google wanted more than this. How much more? We will likely never know.

Pardon me for being daft, then. I couldn't see what else they would've wanted, aside from calling the app "Google Maps". Maybe that was it?

TheSlush

macrumors 6502a
Mar 28, 2007
New York, NY
Disappointed

WAY inferior to their previous app. Weird UI. And I have to create a Google Account and sign in if I want to bookmark locations in the app or change anything? LAME. I may be forced to stick with Apple's maps app.

Mark Booth

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
And if your wife sleeps with your best friend, hey, that's embarrassing too. Doesn't mean you pretend it didn't happen.

Apple cannot rely on Google for critical services now that Google has become a direct competitor. No, Apple Maps weren't ready, and that's embarrassing. That said, it's something that must be done. You can't just let Google remain a house guest now that it's slept with your wife. And that's exactly what Google is doing. Providing a "free" way for Asian hardware manufacturers to be competitive with Apple, while wanting to stay in Apple's good graces. Ain't gonna happen.

Apple has to divest itself of Google services as quickly and as thoroughly as possible. Same with search. Google has search. Microsoft has search. Apple needs search.

The Google Boys started this particular war.

COMPETITION IS GOOD! WE ALL BENEFIT FROM COMPETITION!

The best way Apple can compete with Google is to ink a deal to use the world's best mapping data (Google's) and then simply BUILD A BETTER VERSION OF THE MAPPING APP! Meaning, the user interface. How the App looks and feels.

As powerful as Google's new Maps app is, Google's Maps app UI is far from "Apple like." Apple does a MUCH better job with user interfaces. THAT is the "face" of the app that customers see.

In addition, Apple simply needs to continue to make better hardware and better app-to-app, app-to-cloud, and device-to-device integration. The Apple ecosystem. THAT is where Apple's strength lies. THAT is where Apple has won the hearts and minds of so many dedicated users.

Let Google compete with its own OS and third-party devices. It is good for ALL OF US. It's when Apple abandons its quest to give its users the BEST USER EXPERIENCE POSSIBLE that we all lose.

Mark

----------

Missing:

search locations in contacts (would like geo aware contact location search)

Those things are only going to work with a Maps app that is the DEFAULT Maps app in iOS. Until Apple relents and lets users choose WHICH Maps app we want to be the default Maps app, we are going to be stuck with Apple's crappy Maps app for things like addresses in contacts list, etc.

Mark

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
This phone is still selling like hot cakes, so it didn't affect them alot.

Sales wise many not. Your forgetting the internal issues, such as people getting canned and the expense Apple have to cover to fix up the mess they've created themselves due to the mismanagement of Apple Maps project. By expense I mean resources as well as monetary.

This wasn't Apple's strategy was it?

iPhone can survive and succeed very well without needing Google map turn by turn navigation - there are plenty of other alternatives.

cal6n

macrumors 68020
Jul 25, 2004
Gloucester, UK
It's nice to have Google Maps as a plug-in for public transport directions.

However, for everything else, Apple's app wins hands down.

NorEaster

macrumors regular
Feb 14, 2012
As that 5-year contract approached expiration, Apple wanted a new contract that would allow them to add turn-by-turn to its Maps app using Google's data. Google was willing to agree to that, but ONLY if Google received the benefit of the user data generated by the "new" Maps app. Apple wanted to retain control of the user data collection. They were unable to reach an agreement and Apple set off to work on sourcing maps data elsewhere.

Until the 5-year contract expired, there was never any possibility that Google would release its own Maps app. The contract with Apple would have prevented that.

This is why I disagree with the Apple fanatics that keep claiming "Google held Apple hostage over maps". This is just NOT true. Apple wanted a new feature (turn-by-turn). Google said "we're not going to give you something for nothing... give us something in return." In the world of business, it's completely natural for 2 entities to negotiate when 1 of the entities (ie, Apple) wants something (turn-by-turn directions).

But hey... let's just blame Google (or any company that's not Apple) for everything in our Apple love fest.

mrzeve

macrumors 6502a
Jan 25, 2005
Has anyone figured out a way to get custom saved maps to show up in the app? You used to be able to do it. I'm not talking about starred places, I'm talking about googles "saved maps" which let you add local places (example, I have a restaurant map, a bar map, etc)

Daremo

macrumors 68020
Jul 3, 2007
Chicago
so many of you seriously don't get it, apple did not get their way, google did. apple wanted google to provide voice navigation in the APPLE app. google said no, it wanted branding (ie for the app to be called Google Maps instead of Maps) and wanted to be able to display revenue generating ads in the app. basically google wanted its own ios app. APPLE did not agree to these conditions and instead developed their own app, which failed, and paved the way for google to release their app with everything they wanted (and more), bathed in a tsunami of positive press and thanks from iphone users. google could not have played this better, apple could not have played this worse.

google got what it wanted and the most positive press its gotten in years. apple got nothing it wanted and the most negative press it's gotten in years. it's mind boggling to me that some people don't understand this.

Google didn't get everything they wanted. They wanted complete iOS integration. I just wish it was possible to choose what the default map app would be system wide

KanosWRX

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2008
I just love how Google shoved in Apples face the Turn by Turn navigation on older devices. Whereas Apple stupidly said only the 4S and 5 can do that. Stupid Apple, you really should make software updates work with phones at least 3 generations old, its not a hardware problem at all as many many 3rd parties have shown. Just ignorance on Apples part.

KanosWRX

macrumors 6502
Jul 14, 2008
Google didn't get everything they wanted. They wanted complete iOS integration. I just wish it was possible to choose what the default map app would be system wide

Would be nice if they did this for browsers as well, and let really 3rd party browsers work as well, not just gui skins over the built in browser :( Wish the government would see the anti competitive nature of things going on at Apple.

Mark Booth

macrumors 68000
Jan 16, 2008
No street view and no public transit?? Just great, the 2 features i missed most

Google's new Maps app has BOTH of those features.

Granted, Google's Maps app user interface leaves a bit to be desired as far as the user interface is concerned. And that is why it is so so sad (and maddening) that Apple chose to go off on its own. Apple could have had the world's best Maps app by a WIDE margin, complete with an Apple-created UI.

Mark

malnar

macrumors 6502a
Aug 20, 2008
Those things are only going to work with a Maps app that is the DEFAULT Maps app in iOS. Until Apple relents and lets users choose WHICH Maps app we want to be the default Maps app, we are going to be stuck with Apple's crappy Maps app for things like addresses in contacts list, etc.

Mark
Huh? All GPS apps I've used will access your contacts to use as favorites and general destinations. This is probably my biggest problem with Google Maps right now. I find it kind of bizarre that they DON'T access contacts like every other GPS app I own (Tom Tom, Magellan, Garmin). For now, you either need to know enough of the address to input it and let Google figure out the rest, or go into the Contacts app, copy the address, and paste it into the search field in Google Maps. It's not a terrible solution, but it's clunky. I'm betting these are among several things that will be fixed in updates soon (no voice volume control being the other thing that annoys me).

Blorzoga

macrumors 68030
May 21, 2010
If you go into street view and press the circular arrow button, it uses the gyro to track where you move your phone around! Brilliant!

I don't think this is true. That button just locks the screen from rotating. It's not influenced by the gyro.

fruitpunch.ben

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
Surrey, BC
I think it's pretty fair for Google to have wanted branding. As to some of the other things that may or may not have been "demanded", that is questionable.

It doesn't seem like much to ask, but remember that one of the major selling points of the iPhone when it launched (and still now) is that there is zero branding on it. Not externally, on the hardware, nor on the software. Still today if you buy an android phone covered in branding you can see what a difference it makes aesthetically.
Similarly, stock Apple apps have no advertising, nor will they ever. Google branding in an Apple app would constitute advertising, would be a slippery slope that Apple would not accept.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
I've just had a thought.

iOS7, we may well see the bundled apps vanish for good. This would include stocks, weather, maps etc.

This way Apple can claim a bit of a victory by saying they streamlined and improved the OS, and now let you choose your apps.

Then slowly over say 2 years, we'll see the Apple Maps app fade into the distance, until they quietly discontinue it, erasing all memory of it ever existing from every Apple employee's mind.

This is what Apple do best. Cover their cockups and rarely admit to a mistake.

This would also pave the way for the option to select which app is used for default actions.

Archer1440

Suspended
Mar 10, 2012
USA
For me the main issues with the Google app are threefold-

1. Much more data consumption (tile vs vector)
2. Faster battery consumption (related to 1.)
3. Google's invasive data mining.

I have unlimited data, but internationally, when I really NEED maps to get around, the extra consumption is a concern.

And yes, I do trust Apple with my data more than I trust Google.

When you consider full integration and other factors, we need to keep up hope that Apple's datasets will be brought at least into alignment with those of Google. It's a process that is difficult and slow but progress has been made. Let's hope the new Google app doesn't derail that progress.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.