Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

smittydc

macrumors newbie
Dec 13, 2012
Favorites

Anyone figure out an easy way to transfer Bookmarks from Apple-maps to Google favorites?

Or heck, even if I copy and paste the address, googlemaps doesn't seem to let me rename the favorite?!? It uses the address for the name and doesn't let you edit it. Weird.

lazyrighteye

Contributor
Jan 16, 2002
Denver, CO
Because you're overly paranoid.

Seriously, are you afraid Google's gonna show up at your door and literally shove advertisements down your throat? Apple probably has your home address too, so does Amazon (probably). Are you afraid Apple's gonna sell you iPods against your will? Is Amazon gonna have you arrested for not buying a Kindle?

Nah. No tinfoil hats here. Just personal preference, if not simple common sense. My initial question was more rhetorical.

I'm not afraid Google will show up at my door to cram ads down my throat (I'd actually prefer that to their passive aggressive tactics). I just question any merchant that freely gives away their product in exchange for my personal info. Remember, nothing is free. I work in marketing in a global retail environment. It's an incredibly competitive industry. I've seen, first-hand, what can happen behind the curtain. It's not all roses. And that's just in my little world. I can only imagine what it's like in a world as vast, competitive and lucrative as the one in which Google plays.

Sure, I use the internets. I shop online. And I vote (look out!). Apple is the only merchant that has my home & work address data stored on their servers. I've made a conscious effort to keep as much as my personal data off as many servers as possible - knowing (and completely accepting) full well that short of not using a computer, it's darn near impossible to not have some of my personal data out there. I simply try and be as cognizant as possible about what data I share and with whom. Google is not a company with which I'm willing to store such data.

Cheers.

stepshows

macrumors member
Aug 10, 2010
It Must Be Christmas!

Thank you Google,

That was the only thing I had on my Christmas list. Now Santa can find his way to every kid's house !!!

:)

darbus69

macrumors regular
Mar 3, 2009
oh ye of little faith, Apple will catch up eventually and those of us who can actually survive life day to day without Big Brother Google TELLING US WHERE TO GO, what to buy, what to eat & drink will avoid becoming a Google sheep-take that Eric Schmidt...

zippy7

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2012
Tried it out and it's only okay.

Some observations:
-Bummed that I can't view directions from the lock screen, nor do they show up in the header when I leave the maps app to do something else on my phone. Sounds silly, but I'm not always the one driving so it's nice to be able to actually use your phone while getting directions.
-Definitely not as clean as apple maps, but that's okay.
-Awesome how it shows you how far away a place is just by searching, you don't have to pick a route before seeing how long it will take you.
-Apple maps has a better overview and better switching between overview and directions.
-Apple maps rules in that if I am going somewhere I can search for say 'Starbucks' and it finds me starbucks that are along my route. Google maps doesn't do that... that is probably that greatest innovation in maps that iOS has seen, and google didn't include it.
-No 3D maps is a bummer, I know there is google earth, but come on...
-Also the city view isn't as nice, to be able to see restauraunts or coffee shops you have to zoom in super far and it's kinda pointless.

They both have good and bad features. I'll use apple maps to find where I am going, and if it's wrong then I'll use google to get the correct address, though I haven't been mislead yet *fingers crossed*

Using both apple and goolge maps together will be great.

shurcooL

macrumors 6502a
Jan 24, 2011
They've had **** like turn-by-turn since 2009.
Not in the iPhone they didn't. Not before iOS 6 after Apple removed their original app.

That's the whole point. If Apple didn't remove Google Maps from iOS 6, they would be today exactly as they were in iOS 5. Outdated and without turn by turn.

harnadem

macrumors newbie
Jul 27, 2011
I was hoping that the new Google maps would allow for custom routes. Sadly, no luck. Was also hoping for cached maps to save on data usage. Guess I'll stick with Navigon.

I do like the traffic flow information provided by Google maps

csHokie

macrumors member
Jul 14, 2008
did you not notice the LAG? I know I did, big time, and did you NOT LAUGH when reviewers have said this app works better on the very iPhone 5 than in their own nexus 4?

this app is not bad or anything it's just meh, is this the way android feels like? choppy framerates and laggy? I don't want that crap I'm not into LAG

I haven't used it all that much honestly. Just a quick search to see if an interstate was still there that Apple Maps has left off completely. I'm coming from a three year old Motorola Droid and the maps experience on it is better than Apple Maps. Sorry, I like Apple stuff too, but this is an area where the alternative is better.

Another thing I'd like to see with Apple Maps... When I made the move in September and used Maps for navigation the first time, it was super annoying not to be able to move ahead on the map to see what was coming.

kirk26

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2003
West Virginia
You really have to applaud Google, BAILING Apple out from its WORST customer and public relations DISASTER in recent memory.

Google could have let Apple HANG itself with its own mistakes, but rather showed enough RESPECT to iOS users to give them a CHOICE. Would Apple have done this for ANYONE, let alone Google? Of course not!

That alone shows which company is truly more pro-consumer rather than anti-competition.

Now if only Apple could take that SMALL step in doing what Android does, which is ALLOW its users to CHOOSE their OWN default apps, that would be a BRILLIANT gesture of good faith to all iOS users. Let's just hope Tim Cook follows Steve Jobs' advice and "does the right thing".

matty.p

macrumors 6502a
Jun 24, 2010
Portland, OR
That alone shows which company is truly more pro-consumer rather than anti-competition.

I have to disagree, all it really shows is how Google's business model works. iOS 6 essentially eliminated 200million users from it's Youtube and Google Maps databases of information. They need that information for their advertising targeting where they make almost all of their money.

jps1012

macrumors 6502a
Jun 23, 2010
NYC
Has anyone used the turn by turn? Does it update your route if their is traffic? Trying to see if its better then the tomtom app for driving navigation. thanks

Zerozal

macrumors 6502
Apr 3, 2009
PA
You really have to applaud Google, BAILING Apple out from its WORST customer and public relations DISASTER in recent memory.

Google could have let Apple HANG itself with its own mistakes, but rather showed enough RESPECT to iOS users to give them a CHOICE.

Ha! Thanks for the chuckle. I'm sure that the monitization and huge profit potential of 400 million iOS devices through expanded exposure to Google services had nothing to do with this decision.

krigsmakten

macrumors member
Jul 22, 2002
Galaxy S3

After iPhone 3GS, 4, and currently 4S - I now have a Galaxy S3 sitting in a box - my Christmas present.

Tired of cussing and cursing over the iPhone - will pass the iPhone over to the wife.

The best one was the jailbroken 3GS - love Cydia.

The disaster that was Apple Maps was what did it for me - that kind of attitude towards customers = I'm voting with my feet.

Last edited:

SwingOnThis

macrumors regular
Apr 23, 2008
I'm sure this may have been mentioned somewhere in this mammoth thread, but the Google maps icon is beyond horrible. Terrible. Much too busy and non-iconic.

macness

macrumors 6502a
Dec 4, 2011
Vancouver Canada
I can't figure out how to use street view on this thing. And also it says "Public transit information not available in this region" I LIVE IN VANCOUVER B.C.!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.