Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

AK10R

macrumors regular
Original poster
Jun 20, 2009
Fairbanks, Alaska
I’ve been looking at buying a used iPad and am not sure a quick way to tell the difference between the 2, 3 and new iPads. Is there a quick way to tell which is which? Markings? serial numbers?….

I have had an iPad 1 for a couple of years now.

Thanks
Rich

j.dstasio

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2009
South Jersey
iPad 3 is slightly thicker than the iPad 2 & has a retina display.

iPad 4 looks like an iPad 3 but with a lighting dock connector.

there are other obvious differences (model numbers, etc.) but that is going to be the easiest way to tell them apart.

lianlua

macrumors 6502
Jun 13, 2008
Although the physical differences others have mentioned will help (different connector between the two retina models, iPad 2 has a totally different display) if you're only comparing the generations, if you're looking for specifics, the fastest and easiest way is to use the model number.

Go to Settings > General > About and look at the model number (a list is here in the box called "order no."). That's the only easy way to tell the difference between a 2012 iPad 2 and a 2011 model, for example, which might matter if you're buying something that claims to still be under warranty or something like that.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
Be real careful when you choose your ipad.

There are people who went for the 4 and finally got the 3 without knowing. Happened in my area, and he couldn't get the refund or exchange.

raccoonboy

macrumors 6502a
Oct 22, 2012
The dock connector is very different. How did they manage to get them mixed up?

Not everyone know all basic details about Ipad. You will be surprised how many people didn't even know how to put games on their Iphones.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.