Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

\-V-/

Suspended
May 3, 2012
Does this offer voice prompts for turn by turn directions?

Is it a practical substitute for a car navigation system?

Or, is it more for pedestrians in an unfamiliar environment?
1) Yes
2) Yes (the data all comes from online though, so if you lose connection... it won't work... I didn't see any option to download map data to the phone like the Android version has)
3) There are walking options as well as driving directions and public transportation routes

mackandproud

macrumors 6502
Jun 9, 2008
1) Yes
2) Yes (the data all comes from online though, so if you lose connection... it won't work... I didn't see any option to download map data to the phone like the Android version has)
3) There are walking options as well as driving directions and public transportation routes

Thanks for the response. It sounds pretty impressive. As long as you don't go over your data limit, it should be very helpful. It sounds like a nice supplement to a satellite based nav system.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
Maybe the problem is the state of Massachusetts and not Apple maps...

LMAO what? Did you seriously just say that? Do you realize how ridiculous that sounds?

To be fair, we used it in central Iowa, where we lived for four years prior to moving to MA. It had issues there too. But maybe the problem was with the state of Iowa. :rolleyes:

Perhaps you are sick of hearing complaints. Perhaps I am sick of hearing Apple apologists.

lordofthereef

macrumors G5
Nov 29, 2011
Boston, MA
What say you to someone that's used it in LA, Phoenix, San Diego, San Francisco, Las Vegas and Oahu with NEVER a problem. Each user will have different experiences and just because someone has had problems, doesn't mean EVERYONE will.

That you didn't have issues where you used it. I never claimed there were issues everywhere. I didn't say the app was useless. What I did say is that more problems have popped up with this app than any other I have seen.

Oh, I have used it in LA too. And it was fine. :)

----------

Respectfully, Every issue that has been complained about with Apple maps I have personally experienced with Google Maps. I no longer use the navigation because I've been sent down too many dirt roads / private roads to trust it again.

Google Maps has been around a very long time in tech terms so they have had a lot of time to get things right and if it ever doesn't, hey it's in beta (don't think it is anymore but Google have a history of keeping public products in beta for a very long time).

The hate on Apple Maps is 90% tall poppy syndrome. People who don't like Apple (or know Apple) have a holier than thou view of Apple (somewhat justified I agree) and love to see them fail.

Google maps was placing businesses in the wrong places? I never heard of that. A google search doesn't bring up any such issues either...

KieranDotW

macrumors 6502a
Apr 12, 2012
Canada
It depends where you are. Here in Canada it's awful. Does not even find my own street! Always have to fall back on google web app to save the day.

I'm guessing you're really in the middle of nowhere because I'm talking about Canada too and haven't had any problems.

Last edited:

xanagu

macrumors member
May 28, 2012
How are you not guilty of the same kind of thinking? Maybe you need to realize that if you infer Apple Maps sucks because it took you to the wrong place, then you can also infer that since it took me to the right place it doesn't suck. If people stopped giving ambiguous Maps sucks comments and started saying, I live in the North Pole and when I tried to go to the starbucks on candy cane lane it took me to the Elf school, then we wouldn't still be talking about this. Instead we get haters spewing hate, and I find myself doubting the validity of the claims more and more. Especially since I've driven half way across the country twice and haven't had any problems, and since more and more reviewers are saying I haven't had any problems.

Doesn't matter if you don't have problems.
People are getting angry, lost and fired because of Maps, period.

What other proof you need?

Mav451

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2003
Maryland
Netscape was a company destroyed by Microsoft, but from its ashes came Firefox.

----------

Not sure if Google wrote this like the rest of the open source Android apps. Those can be downloaded, virus inserted, then reuploaded to the Google store. There's no way that I would ever go to an Android device.

Lol if you haven't used an Android device before, then you are unaccustomed to Android's transparency regarding permissions (that iOS sorely lacks). Is it necessary information? Absolutely. I get that non prosumers may not be accustomed to seeing it, but better to know than be completely ignorant of what you are agreeing to on iOS.

PS - I am well versed in both Android and iOS. It helps if you use both on a daily basis because than you can actually speak from a place of knowledge, experience and provide reasonable perspective. Relying on boilerplate "I read something on bloggy" is simply spreading your ignorance to others. *And this goes also to Android fanboys, who spread about iOS without having actually used it. It goes both ways :p

I'm not sure if your familiar with negotiations, but just because Google makes an offer does not mean Apple has to except it. Apple has the upper hand as its on Apples platform. I would say its up to Google to negotiate a better deal for itself on someone else's platform. They apparently didn't.

I am closely watching the MS Office 365 story, because it may provide an indicator on how deals are negotiated in the future. I'm talking precedent here (good or bad).

Last edited:

rcappo

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2010
The only thing good about Google Maps is the bicycle routes. But in reality, those are just as 'bad' as Apple Maps at taking you on major roads, no shoulder roads, or high speed limit roads. And they don't really clearly differentiate between bike trails and bike lanes. Bike trails where there are no cars are much much better and should be taken.

Hopefully Apple Maps will implement all of the improvements and more in iOS6.1. I'm done with Google. They are what is wrong with Capitalism today.

BSben

macrumors 65816
May 16, 2012
UK
So you must be one of those people that when Apples says "Jump!", you ask "how high?"

Because most any normal open minded person, this the new youtube app is pretty good.

I have every right to speak my mind, and I don't like the new App.
And part two of your rant against me does not make any sense.

mikefla

macrumors 6502
Feb 27, 2011
You mean like Apple Maps? That's an online app, all the data is not stored on the device
Right it's another Apple Maps but slightly better. And lets not even look at the horrible thing Nokia made, why even bother making such junk!

I have yet to find anything overall that is better than TomTom, I have a navigation app that I can use anywhere whether I have a cell signal or not. Try doing that with Google Maps or Apple Maps and you are screwed!

-Mike

Tech198

Cancelled
Mar 21, 2011
Right it's another Apple Maps but slightly better. And lets not even look at the horrible thing Nokia made, why even bother making such junk!

I have yet to find anything overall that is better than TomTom, I have a navigation app that I can use anywhere whether I have a cell signal or not. Try doing that with Google Maps or Apple Maps and you are screwed!

-Mike

+1 ... I haven't use Nokia stuff since Route 66, on my nokia Navigator 6110. But the last time i looked at OviMaps it was completely unusable... Crashed all the time.. Thats the single most important thing i liked about the Navigator,, at least it gave your FREE voice navigation.. Not like the subscripts you need now-days.

Those day are long gone. At least Apple doesn't have a subscription based model for Siri.... If it didd, everyone would go nuts.

Mav451

macrumors 68000
Jul 1, 2003
Maryland

-Mike

iOS6 Maps was built on TomTom's map data. Of course the app's accuracy is still on Apple, if we take the "they gave you data, but Apple has to figure out how to use it" viewpoint. Nonetheless, it's particularly odd that you would bring up TomTom during this discussion, heh heh :p

For disclosure, I just got Google Maps for iOS5 (still holding off on iOS6) and some of the glaring omissions (no more custom bookmarks, only 'saves') is slightly off-putting to say the least. I'll use it for a week, but I may still be staying on iOS5 for the moment.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.