Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

rowspaxe

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jan 29, 2010
An interesting feature of windows 8 is true multi-tasking. Unfortunately MS has decided upon a weird 1/4-3/4 fixed split screen ratio that is not greatly useful, despite the ability of win 8 apps to wrap within the 1/4 screen space. I think true multi tasking in ios would be very useful. Imagine having an ocw video and pdf app opened side by side. Do you see true multitasking coming to the small screen, or is it somehow not aligned with ios's emphisis on functional simplicity

Abazigal

Contributor
Jul 18, 2011
Singapore
I have yet to find a legitimate use for true multitasking in my iPhone or iPad. Can anyone provide some examples of how it might be useful or practical?

1rottenapple

macrumors 601
Apr 21, 2004
Hope not. It kills my battery life and I'm not about to "quit apps" on my phone or ipad, or else my battery will die fast. I means do out browsers need to work on the background? I like how curtain apps have access to multi-tasking but quits intelligently when you stop using it, ie podcasting apps I use. I don't have to clear memory and all that. Same thing with GPS related apps that can run in the background but quit when not actively using it to navigate so you don't waste your battery life.

----------

I have yet to find a legitimate use for true multitasking in my iPhone or iPad. Can anyone provide some examples of how it might be useful or practical?

If u use am alternative gps mapping, music, and some downloading services such as downloading apps or movies from the rotten tomatoes app... It's limited and it quits when your not using it. I think it's the best solution given the technology we have and the limits to battery life.

bjm2660

macrumors 6502
Jun 7, 2011
Virginia
An interesting feature of windows 8 is true multi-tasking. Unfortunately MS has decided upon a weird 1/4-3/4 fixed split screen ratio that is not greatly useful, despite the ability of win 8 apps to wrap within the 1/4 screen space. I think true multi tasking in ios would be very useful. Imagine having an ocw video and pdf app opened side by side. Do you see true multitasking coming to the small screen, or is it somehow not aligned with ios's emphisis on functional simplicity

That's a very good question. "Need" is a strong word. There have been times I've wanted the ability to do more than one thing at a time.

This may sound petty, but I can't listen to my own music while playing Jurassic Park builder.

darngooddesign

macrumors P6
Jul 4, 2007
Atlanta, GA

Watching Hulu while browsing the web.

Researching something in a browser while typing in another app.

Side by side apps are very handy.

THFourteen

macrumors 6502a
Apr 8, 2010
London
being able to play video whilst you browse the internet should be considered a basic human need ;-)

my galaxy s3 does this really well. I can't understand why they don't allow it on my ipad mini

iCole

macrumors regular
Jun 10, 2010

Very handy for things like Colloquy. Your conversations don't log in the background.

maflynn

macrumors Haswell
May 3, 2009
In one sense its probably not needed in a tablet but yet in another I saw how the Galaxy note II was doing it and was very impessed.

For instance, you're watching a video and someone texts you, you can set the video to a window and keep it playing while you switch to the message app and respond to the text.

Is this a real world possibility, maybe, maybe not but its cool.

My $.02 is I really don't think I've felt a need to have full multitasking in iOS, other then background music playing while I do other things on my iphone, iPad

212rikanmofo

macrumors 68000
Jan 31, 2003
The only multitasking I'd definitely want to see is the ability to watch any type of video while doing something else in a different app or just browsing through the homescreen. A true Picture-In-Picture-Out feature would be welcomed! I hope Apple does this soon. Sucks not being able to do this.

ZZ Bottom

macrumors 6502a
Apr 14, 2010

Obviously you've never tried to type a research paper on an iPad. Pointless having Internet based research like journal databases on an iPad unless you intend to handwrite and waste time typing again.

There are plenty of use cases. I'm sure you've used two programs on a Mac/PC before so it shouldn't be too hard to fathom.

Zwhaler

macrumors 604
Jun 10, 2006
I would need multitasking before I switched back to iPhone for sure. Guess what, for those out there that don't use it, you don't have to! If it's there to be used by those that want it then all the better. Just because people don't need a certain feature doesn't mean it shouldn't be available, I would want a larger screen first though, there's no way I'm multitasking on the comparatively tiny 4" display.

tomjleeds

macrumors 6502a
Jul 19, 2004
Manchester, UK
Obviously you've never tried to type a research paper on an iPad. Pointless having Internet based research like journal databases on an iPad unless you intend to handwrite and waste time typing again.

There are plenty of use cases. I'm sure you've used two programs on a Mac/PC before so it shouldn't be too hard to fathom.

Surely the answer to that is - don't?

WDSnav91

macrumors member
Jun 8, 2011
I personally hate multi-tasking. I am an iPod touch 4g user and I would like to see the option to disable multi-tasking completely as all I use it for is to bring up the menu to close the app I was using. I rarely even find myself multi-tasking on the computer let alone. When I do something like play Minecraft; I usually close the browser then open Minecraft leaving no programs open. I think multi-tasking on a mobile device in anyways is worthless. Why would I need to play Angry Birds and open my e-mail at the same time? No reason at all; it is just completely worthless to me and I wish I could disable multi-tasking so I don't have to remember to close apps and waste valuable resources. So a simple answer is NO it is not needed at all.

The Phazer

macrumors 68030
Oct 31, 2007
London, UK
I don't think true multi-tasking is as big a deal as it could be. What iOS needs is a true task scheduler that apps can use however, and some more backgrounding APIs.

For example, I want a podcast app to download content overnight while my phone is connected to wifi without me having to get involved or even have the app running. That should be possible.

ChristianVirtual

macrumors 601
May 10, 2010
日本
Would be really great for having a browser and Pages/Keynote together on one screen ; or similar apps; helpfull for all kind of content creation with referencing to other system for information gathering

TacticalDesire

macrumors 68020
Mar 19, 2012
Michigan
I personally hate multi-tasking. I am an iPod touch 4g user and I would like to see the option to disable multi-tasking completely as all I use it for is to bring up the menu to close the app I was using. I rarely even find myself multi-tasking on the computer let alone. When I do something like play Minecraft; I usually close the browser then open Minecraft leaving no programs open. I think multi-tasking on a mobile device in anyways is worthless. Why would I need to play Angry Birds and open my e-mail at the same time? No reason at all; it is just completely worthless to me and I wish I could disable multi-tasking so I don't have to remember to close apps and waste valuable resources. So a simple answer is NO it is not needed at all.

When your device has 256mb of ram and a 800Mhz Cortex A8 (your ipod) i can see why one would be turned off to multitasking. With more horespower though, it really is handy. And if you don't want it. You don't have to use it. It is silly that apple doesn't have an option to turn it off though.

----------

I guarantee when Apple updates iOS to be able to do real multitasking. It will be treated as if it's the second coming of Christ.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.