Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

toasterb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2012
I'd like to get my wife an iPad for Christmas, and will be getting one of the +Cellular models.

The twist is that we currently live in Boston, but we'll be moving to Canada (Vancouver specifically) next summer. I want to make sure that the iPad that I buy here will be compatible with the wireless networks there.

I'd prefer Verizon, as her (non-smart) phone is with them, but we're not committed to them.

Anyone have any experience with these sort of things?

MikeNemat

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2006
I'd like to get my wife an iPad for Christmas, and will be getting one of the +Cellular models.

The twist is that we currently live in Boston, but we'll be moving to Canada (Vancouver specifically) next summer. I want to make sure that the iPad that I buy here will be compatible with the wireless networks there.

I'd prefer Verizon, as her (non-smart) phone is with them, but we're not committed to them.

Anyone have any experience with these sort of things?

Only the AT&T models will work with Canadian LTE networks. See here for more info:

http://www.apple.com/ipad/LTE/

toasterb

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 12, 2012
Thanks Mike!

I knew that a chart like that must have existed somewhere, thanks for your help!

MikeNemat

macrumors regular
Aug 6, 2006
Are iPad's bought in the USA locked to their respective carrier?

This is what prevented me from buying a LTE iPad a few months ago.

All iPads are unlocked and can be used with any compatible carrier as per the chart posted above.

Saberon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
I must warn you, Canada doesn't have prepaid plans for the iPad because our carriers are awful. You'll have to pass a credit check and I have no idea if that's something someone who had never lived here can do right away. I could be wrong though. They will very likely require a deposit if you do pass the check though

Get the AT&T model if you want cellular here. If you have any questions please feel free to ask, I work for one of the carriers here

ramb27

macrumors member
Aug 26, 2007
toronto.on.ca
I must warn you, Canada doesn't have prepaid plans for the iPad because our carriers are awful. You'll have to pass a credit check and I have no idea if that's something someone who had never lived here can do right away. I could be wrong though. They will very likely require a deposit if you do pass the check though

I don't think this is correct. AFAIK, all you need is a credit card with the 3 big carriers

http://www.rogers.com/web/content/for-ipad-terms

And Bell Has 30-day flex plans: http://www.bell.ca/Mobility/Cell_phone_plans/iPad_data_plans/30_Day_Flex_plan.tab

Telus has month-to-month plans too:
http://www.telusmobility.com/en/BC/ipad_plans/index.shtml

RedOrchestra

Suspended
Aug 13, 2012
@ramb27 is correct ... you just need a credit card and a Canadian address and you're off and running.

I would suggest, though, since you're moving to Vancouver that you sign with Telus (all 3 main providers offer the same package) BUT, since Telus is the main provider in BC you will get the best coverage.

As an aside, you won't find a Legal Seafood in Vancouver BUT you won't go without some of the best seafood around!

Saberon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
I don't want to sound rude, but I believe I am indeed right. I work for one of the major carriers. This mess all started with the iPad 3.

Only iPad 1 and 2 support On device prepaid Plans. iPad 3, 4, Mini do not

From Bell: Note: this pass is only available on the first-generation iPad and the iPad 2.

From Rogers: Activate right on your iPad in minutes. These plans carry no term commitment, no activation fees, and no overage charges. Enjoy convenient, automatic renewals charged to your credit card each month. Or, cancel at anytime by updating the settings on your device. (Available for original iPad and iPad 2 models only and use in Canada only on Rogers 4G HSPA+ network.)

Telus is the same, you have to pass a credit check for the Flex plan which is NOT prepaid.

Edit: Telus seems to have removed the wording regarding iPad 1 and 2 because it definitely was there a week ago. That ***may*** mean you can do prepaid on 3/4/Mini but I doubt it.

Last edited:

Saberon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
Are you on the flex plan?

You aren't pre-paying for service, you get a monthly bill right?

RedOrchestra

Suspended
Aug 13, 2012

FLEX-PLAN is the only way to go...absolutely NO upside to a pre-paid plan.

I've paid the minimum $5 for a month and the maximum of $35...the service is top-drawer!

Saberon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
So you definitely passed a credit check whether you knew it happened or not. If it's not prepaid, then It had to of involved a credit check

RedOrchestra

Suspended
Aug 13, 2012

There was NO credit check - I gave them my credit card # and it's charged automatically every month - THAT'S the credit check - don't try to make more out of this than it is.

Saberon

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2008
I'm not making more out of it than there is. I'm simply telling you the truth. I work for one of these companies and have done many of these types of activations before, it's fine if you don't believe me.

I wont be returning to this thread, hopefully I was of some help to the thread starter And good luck signing up for a plan

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.