Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

isephmusic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 31, 2012
Hi iPhone 5 user here brand new to it. just need a simple layout to make the switching easier since I'm not sure i like this phone at all. how is this the top of the line more prestigious phone that my friends kept telling me to get. my screen is unresponsive and only the left speaker grille works. i have a genius appointment in an hour hopefully they switch it out. other then that its really nice looking. but thats about it.

*in android when someone texts you an address you can click on it and sends you right to google maps and asks if you want directions or navigation.

*using the browser when you scroll up the url entry field pops up. here on iOS the safari app i was at the bottom of a super long page and wanted to google something else, how do i go way back up to the top to enter something ? there wasnt even a scroll wheel on safari...

*how do i enable private browsing so i can go to my banks website and all that without saving passwords? where are the menu settings in general ? every android app has a settings page you can click on for more options. i used to just click it enable private browing and go on my way.

*where is my contacts app lol not the one in dialer how can i have on on the main screen

*how can i call a person by just typing their name in the dialer. on android you can spell out the name like john by clicking the phone icon and pressing "5646" and johns would come up to select to dial.

*how can i watch a youtube video in safari without going into the video full screen? in android brower u can watch the video while reading the comments and its something i must have since i can hear the discussion in the video while scrolling down and reading the comments

i think thats all for. if you guys can help me get to know those features on iOS i would really appreciate and help me love this phone a lot more then i do now >_>

r.j.s

Moderator emeritus
Mar 7, 2007
Texas
Hi iPhone 5 user here brand new to it. just need a simple layout to make the switching easier since I'm not sure i like this phone at all. how is this the top of the line more prestigious phone that my friends kept telling me to get. my screen is unresponsive and only the left speaker grille works. i have a genius appointment in an hour hopefully they switch it out. other then that its really nice looking. but thats about it.

There is only one speaker on the iPhone. The other grille is the microphone.

*in android when someone texts you an address you can click on it and sends you right to google maps and asks if you want directions or navigation.

I haven't tried it to be sure, but you may be able to long press or double tap the address for more options. If not, you can just copy/paste into maps.

*using the browser when you scroll up the url entry field pops up. here on iOS the safari app i was at the bottom of a super long page and wanted to google something else, how do i go way back up to the top to enter something ? there wasnt even a scroll wheel on safari...

Tap the top of the screen and it will scroll all the way up.

*how do i enable private browsing so i can go to my banks website and all that without saving passwords? where are the menu settings in general ? every android app has a settings page you can click on for more options. i used to just click it enable private browing and go on my way.

Safari settings are in the Settings app, so is the option for private browsing.

*where is my contacts app lol not the one in dialer how can i have on on the main screen

It's there, but it may have defaulted to a folder. Look around.

*how can i call a person by just typing their name in the dialer. on android you can spell out the name like john by clicking the phone icon and pressing "5646" and johns would come up to select to dial.

Go to the contacts page at the bottom of the phone app and start typing the name.

*how can i watch a youtube video in safari without going into the video full screen? in android brower u can watch the video while reading the comments and its something i must have since i can hear the discussion in the video while scrolling down and reading the comments

Use the YouTube app, not safari; you can do exactly what you want.

tvith

macrumors member
Nov 1, 2012

Oh how I miss this option. I guess they're saving this for the 5s...lol.

Hpye

macrumors 6502
Oct 11, 2011

>_>

If you wanna scroll all the way up, tap the clock(the time) twice on the top, it will go up very quickly.

For private browsing, go to setting>safari> then you will see the private browsing toggle

Kealohilani

macrumors 6502
Sep 16, 2012
Contacts are in the utility folder if you haven't found them yet. Hope you enjoy your new phone. I also switched from android and I couldn't be happier. It's a great phone, I've even convinced a couple of my friends to switch from android to apple and they are loving it too.

takeshi74

macrumors 601
Feb 9, 2011
how is this the top of the line more prestigious phone that my friends kept telling me to get. my screen is unresponsive and only the left speaker grille works.
Every product has its lemons and you can't extrapolate broad trends based on experience with a defective product. The iPhone isn't "more prestigious". It's one option that suits some and doesn't suit others -- just like any other smartphone. Use whatever works for you.

how can i call a person by just typing their name in the dialer. on android you can spell out the name like john by clicking the phone icon and pressing "5646" and johns would come up to select to dial.
You can't. Type the name in Contacts, use the letters on the right to jump to the first letter in the name you're looking for or use the search. You can't just assume that one mobile OS works exactly the same way as another. Give whatever you're trying a fair shot instead of being fixated on how things worked on your prior device.

Last edited:

Prime85

macrumors 6502a
Mar 1, 2012
how is this the top of the line more prestigious phone that my friends kept telling me to get. my screen is unresponsive and only the left speaker grille works.

Only the left speaker grill works? You do know there is only one speaker right? The other is the mic.

I wonder if people actually make a genius appointment and tell them only one speaker is working.

isephmusic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 31, 2012
lmaoooo yeah i felt like a complete idiot when i found out the right side was the mic. anyway its a real pain to type in contacts name in and then press them then click call i wish there was a phone app that i could just type their name out. you guys dont know what your missing.

the screen was defective and at least it got switched out asap. battery life is really damn good and im liking the phone hardware just not the software. people send me addresses a lot and loosing google maps was a big hit (saved searches even if you do them on a desktop)

multitasking is alright. the lack of a menu is not. and i shouldnt have to go into the phones settings to turn on browser features it should be in the browser itself. seems like Apple really hates menu's haha. otherwise im fine with the phone thank you all for the help :D

Nand

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2011
San Juan
lmaoooo yeah i felt like a complete idiot when i found out the right side was the mic. anyway its a real pain to type in contacts name in and then press them then click call i wish there was a phone app that i could just type their name out. you guys dont know what your missing.

the screen was defective and at least it got switched out asap. battery life is really damn good and im liking the phone hardware just not the software. people send me addresses a lot and loosing google maps was a big hit (saved searches even if you do them on a desktop)

multitasking is alright. the lack of a menu is not. and i shouldnt have to go into the phones settings to turn on browser features it should be in the browser itself. seems like Apple really hates menu's haha. otherwise im fine with the phone thank you all for the help :D

What about Siri? Use Siri to call your contacts

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 88

JAT

macrumors 603
Dec 31, 2001
Mpls, MN
anyway its a real pain to type in contacts name in and then press them then click call i wish there was a phone app that i could just type their name out. you guys dont know what your missing.
Look up phone shortcut apps. You can make shortcuts to dial with one touch.

Or just use Siri.

Question, how do you specify which number to use with that name typing method? I've got people with 4 numbers.

Nale72

macrumors regular
Nov 13, 2012
Sweden
Or just use Siri.

I'll probably use that more often when Siri comes in Swedish. We don't always understand each other right away, me and American/English Siri.

Question, how do you specify which number to use with that name typing method? I've got people with 4 numbers.

It may depend on dialer app/branded dialer, but nomally when you type the name, you get a list of matching names (it matches both with contact names and contact numbers* matching your selection), with one row for every number they have. So if you have many persons with same/similar name and with several numbers, you might have to scroll some. Alternatively (some dialers) you will get one row per contact and then you long click the contact and get a list of their numbers and select the one you want to call. But it's still normally only one touch (short or long) from that list.

* Say that you type 999. Then you will get a selection of names with three of the letters "w,x,y,z" in a row in their name and a selection of phone numbers in your contacts which include "999".

isephmusic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 31, 2012
is there an alternative to siri that can be used offline ? (no data/wifi)

the phone dialer is a big loss to me. i used to be able to swipe form the lock screen to the phone dialer and just input "468" and it would go to HOU which android learns is HOUSE and you would be able to make a call from the phone completely asleep in less than 2 seconds. the more you call someone the more their preferred number comes up so 2 johns with a mobile and house number each would get prioritized based on who you talk to the most.

and even better is that the contacts menu had a swipe left to call swipe right to send a text. it all worked SO fast. but that was a mod so im not going to judge that. i just miss a crap ton of things. i really am trying to give iphone a fair chance since it will be my phone for the next 6 months but each day i find something that really leaves me like.. "are you kidding me ? "

Daveoc64

macrumors 601
Jan 16, 2008
Bristol, UK
In terms of basic phone and messaging functionality you really do just have to accept that the iPhone doesn't offer much (any!) customisation.

Infinitewisdom

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2012
In terms of basic phone and messaging functionality you really do just have to accept that the iPhone doesn't offer much (any!) customisation.

I agree. But you know what? I don't mind that one bit. I've been playing with the Note 2 and Nexus 7 for the past few weeks. Android has come a long ways, but is still much less intuitive than iOS for the simple things. Those who like to tinker with their devices will love it. But those who just want an easy to use smartphone with a ton of quality apps to augment the experience will like the iPhone better. Crystal clear to me now why Apple is doing so well with iOS.

Nand

macrumors regular
Oct 14, 2011
San Juan
is there an alternative to siri that can be used offline ? (no data/wifi)

the phone dialer is a big loss to me. i used to be able to swipe form the lock screen to the phone dialer and just input "468" and it would go to HOU which android learns is HOUSE and you would be able to make a call from the phone completely asleep in less than 2 seconds. the more you call someone the more their preferred number comes up so 2 johns with a mobile and house number each would get prioritized based on who you talk to the most.

and even better is that the contacts menu had a swipe left to call swipe right to send a text. it all worked SO fast. but that was a mod so im not going to judge that. i just miss a crap ton of things. i really am trying to give iphone a fair chance since it will be my phone for the next 6 months but each day i find something that really leaves me like.. "are you kidding me ? "

Turn off Siri and use voice control

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    74.1 KB · Views: 50

isephmusic

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Oct 31, 2012
Awesome ! That's what I was looking for . Google maps was added back today and it seems that I can now fully enjoy using the phone everyday

tymaster50

Suspended
Oct 3, 2012
Oregon
this speaker question pops up all the time. Like it's not even funny anymore. It's literally the first thread on here that explains it.
Well now it's the second because of that stupid iPhone 5 shipped thread which I don't know why it's still going on. But the point still stands

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.