Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple has updated its iCloud System Status page with a much more comprehensive page breaking down outages by service and showing recent outages in a detailed timeline. The old system simple offered written status updates in a more free-form fashion.

Over the past year, Apple has seen various iCloud services go offline several times. Just today, some users were unable to access iCloud mail, iCloud Documents, Photo Stream, and Backup & Restore.

icloudsystemstatus.jpg
With the change, it looks like Apple is taking iCloud a bit more seriously, particularly following Eddy Cue's promotion to Senior Vice President of Internet Software and Services.

Article Link: Apple Expands iCloud System Status Page After Repeated Outages

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
I can't tell if it's good or not that Apple has a detailed page devoted to whether iCloud is working or not.

iMerik

macrumors 6502a
May 3, 2011
Upper Midwest
I can't tell if it's good or not that Apple has a detailed page devoted to whether iCloud is working or not.
I think it's good overall. The average users probably won't go here and the rest of them will appreciate having the information rather than wondering if it's something wrong they are doing and having to search for up to the minute information from non-Apple resources that might knock Apple along with telling you iMessage is having issues.

Edit: And it might be very motivating for Apple staff to work even harder to make sure every day is as uneventful as possible to keep that timeline blank.

jasonefmonk

macrumors 6502
May 5, 2011
This a good sign for things to come. I think this executive change is going to go really well for Apple.

NachoGrande

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2010
The idea of the cloud is that is supposed to have 99.9% uptime, why is this needed. :confused: just make it work....

smithrh

macrumors 68030
Feb 28, 2009
The idea of the cloud is that is supposed to have 99.9% uptime, why is this needed. :confused: just make it work....

3 Nines (99.9%) actually would be horrible up time. 4 Nines is a better goal, with 5 Nines being pretty widely accepted and 6 Nines being the gold standard.

However, I pretty much agree with your sentiment - it should be so available that it's just always there. Much like the dial tone on your POTS phone - it was (and still is) pretty much unheard of to not get a dial tone.

Powerbooky

macrumors demi-god
Mar 15, 2008
Europe
Wasn't able to access iCloud email today. But only for about 5 minutes.

That could also be the result of network maintenance (or failure) at some point between you and Apple's network. And it's quite normal that very short outages due to maintenance are not announced by ISP's.

rmwebs

macrumors 68040
Apr 6, 2007
It's all well and good adding extra indicators, but half the time they dont even damn well acknowledge there is an outage at all.

Big-TDI-Guy

macrumors 68030
Jan 11, 2007
Every time I begin to feel paranoid about refusing life on the cloud, I'm reminded that no, maybe I'm not so nuts after all!

ARandomFellow

macrumors member
Aug 17, 2011
That would (will?) be better but this is a good start, in my opinion.

They actually do appear to have history at least back for 3 days. Not sure if it's such a short period because they've just enabled it or if that's as far back as it will go. But you can scroll back and see what individual issues existed over time.

Pretty neat.

----------

Go to the page and you'll see the "Detailed Timeline" at the bottom...

Yes, what he said. DIdn't see this till I posted more or less the same thing. lol

It is there, though. I don't know if I care, but it's good that it's there for those who do. I guess if it was full of orange I probably would be concerned.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.