Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

tl01

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
Do any of the pocket projectors with with any apps? For example, I want to be able to draw something on the iPad and have it show up on a wall through the projector. Is this possible?

tl01

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
Any advice on this?

Love that I'm bumping this... And the mods will end up disciplining me:).

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
Do any of the pocket projectors with with any apps? For example, I want to be able to draw something on the iPad and have it show up on a wall through the projector. Is this possible?

For the ones with lightning I don't believe such exists.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
I have a 3 and a mini... So with one can be used.

The Lightning to Digital AV adaptor, part MD826ZM/A would output to HDMI, and allow you to project via any HDMI compatible projector.

The Lightning to VGA adaptor, part MD825ZM/A would output to VGA, and allow you to project via any VGA compatible projector.

I'm not sure what you're asking though... go on Amazon and search "projector" ... there are literally thousands to chose from, all with different features, sizes,etc, mostly personal preference.

tl01

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
The Lightning to Digital AV adaptor, part MD826ZM/A would output to HDMI, and allow you to project via any HDMI compatible projector.

The Lightning to VGA adaptor, part MD825ZM/A would output to VGA, and allow you to project via any VGA compatible projector.

I'm not sure what you're asking though... go on Amazon and search "projector" ... there are literally thousands to chose from, all with different features, sizes,etc, mostly personal preference.

What I'm asking is can I project anything on the iPad or only from certain apps? I'd like to project whatever is on the screen at that time.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
What I'm asking is can I project anything on the iPad or only from certain apps? I'd like to project whatever is on the screen at that time.

Yep, it mirrors whatever is on the screen.

I don't mean to be rude, but going to Apple.com and looking at the adaptors would have told you the exact same thing. I realize it's easier to ask here, but after the first response from someone trying to help, try to help yourself and do a little research. :)

Enjoy the setup, it's fun to mirror, but for a really cool experience, grab an Apple TV and use Air Play, you can do a lot more with it, and for $99 it's only $50 more and the possibilities are so much greater ... cut the cord.

tl01

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
Yep, it mirrors whatever is on the screen.

I don't mean to be rude, but going to Apple.com and looking at the adaptors would have told you the exact same thing. I realize it's easier to ask here, but after the first response from someone trying to help, try to help yourself and do a little research. :)

Enjoy the setup, it's fun to mirror, but for a really cool experience, grab an Apple TV and use Air Play, you can do a lot more with it, and for $99 it's only $50 more and the possibilities are so much greater ... cut the cord.

Actually, I read about some projectors that only worked with some apps... Hence my concern. I wanted make sure. I already have the hdmi cable for my iPad... I spend hours researching... But I don't want to buy something and have to ship it back.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
Actually, I read about some projectors that only worked with some apps... Hence my concern. I wanted make sure. I already have the hdmi cable for my iPad... I spend hours researching... But I don't want to buy something and have to ship it back.

Well with anything HDMI, there are certain apps that HDMI won't pass a signal through on due to copyright. I think some apps like TiVo, Comcast, Time Warner, DirecTV, won't allow certain copyright material to pass through.

Now you've got me interested in a little projector. Didn't think about that.. would be cool for hotel rooms (I travel a lot)... the only downside is the speaker on the phone or projector is so tiny... the sound would be awful, and I'm not about to carry a set of speakers in my carryon.

PBG4 Dude

macrumors 601
Jul 6, 2007
Well with anything HDMI, there are certain apps that HDMI won't pass a signal through on due to copyright. I think some apps like TiVo, Comcast, Time Warner, DirecTV, won't allow certain copyright material to pass through.

Now you've got me interested in a little projector. Didn't think about that.. would be cool for hotel rooms (I travel a lot)... the only downside is the speaker on the phone or projector is so tiny... the sound would be awful, and I'm not about to carry a set of speakers in my carryon.

Then get a decent set of cans. Even a $50 set of AKGs or Sennheisers will sound great comparatively. :)

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
Then get a decent set of cans. Even a $50 set of AKGs or Sennheisers will sound great comparatively. :)

Yeah the sole reason I want a projector is to take in my carryon to hotels. A (decent) pair of speakers would take up half the bag, heh

tl01

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010

Maybe headphones?

tl01

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
True. ;-). So which u order?

Haven't yet... Still investigating! Our first of three iPad minis arrived yesterday so I was playing with it instead of figuring out what to buy while the kids were at school today:). I'll post back if we figure out which one we want.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
Haven't yet... Still investigating! Our first of three iPad minis arrived yesterday so I was playing with it instead of figuring out what to buy while the kids were at school today:). I'll post back if we figure out which one we want.

Sounds good, look forward to hearing back... projectors are seemingly hard to tell what's good vs bad... so first hand feedback would be appreciated.

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011

So you put me over the edge, and I bought the AAXA P4 P4X Pico Projector, 95 Lumens, Pocket Size, Li-Ion Battery, HDMI, Media Player, 15,000 Hour LED, DLP Projector from Amazon.

You tickled my curiosity, and now I want a mini projector. haha

GoCubsGo

macrumors Nehalem
Feb 19, 2005
I totally read this as "pocket protectors" for the iPad.
pocket_protector_ipad_case_speckcase-p176474221095629187en8cx_216.jpg

tl01

macrumors 68020
Original poster
Jun 20, 2010
So you put me over the edge, and I bought the AAXA P4 P4X Pico Projector, 95 Lumens, Pocket Size, Li-Ion Battery, HDMI, Media Player, 15,000 Hour LED, DLP Projector from Amazon.

You tickled my curiosity, and now I want a mini projector. haha

Oooh! Let me know how it works!

shenan1982

macrumors 68040
Nov 23, 2011
The update that I promised...

So the projector came today, along with a Mini Displayport to HDMI cable, and of course, the projector's input is a MINI HDMI, not a regular... so can't rest the projector yet... boo!

Is there such a thing as a cable with a mini displayport (thunderbolt) on one side, and Mini HDMI on the other side? I have the pico projector, and the input on it is a mini HDMI, and i can't for the life of me find a cable on amazon without buying a mini displayport to HDMI adaptor then an additional hdmi to mini hdmi cable. ??? Am I missing it?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.