Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

adildacoolset

macrumors 65816
Actually, I think he's signalling to potential partners that Samsung wants to work with them and that they see their opportunities there.

I know some people here are excited by the fact that he said Apple has a better ecosystem, but he's also clearly saying that in his view Samsung has better devices.

Edit: Found it:

I'm just wondering in what planet a galaxy nexus is faster than an iPhone 5

zone23

macrumors 68000
May 10, 2012
Whats the guy supposed to use Windows? I don't see any reason why MAC users can enjoy android too.. I'm not "at war" with anyone unlike Google.. what a stupid thing for them to say. This kinda bleeds into the other thread too sorry.

mrsir2009

macrumors 604
Sep 17, 2009
Melbourne, Australia
In an interview with MIT Technology Review (via The Verge), Samsung Chief Strategy Officer Young Sohn reveals that he is in fact an Apple user. Sohn, who joined Samsung in August, uses a Mac, an iPhone, and an iPad as his personal devices, and cites Apple's ecosystem as a major advantage for the company.

I'm sure they mean he was an Apple user - Coz I doubt he's still alive after that interview ;)

hot spare

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2011
"OK, so think about Apple compared to Samsung. I use a Mac, actually, at home. I've always used Mac, an iPhone, and an iPad. I also have the Galaxy. So I'm a great example." - Young Sohn

He never said he uses his Samsung devices, just that he has them!

Obviously since he started working for Samsung in August. He was working in Intel previously. His work is with Samsung. His personal preference is an Apple device. Why should he change it?

It is not mandatory for any employee to must use Samsung phone. His job is to ensure Samsung makes even more money. What he likes in his personal life is his choice.

What he said isn't wrong. Samsung is more of a device-centric company.

Colpeas

macrumors 6502
Sep 30, 2011
Prague, Czech Rep.
I am curious how much will that be influential to his work for Samsung. I think we can expect 'the revolutionary sCloud' coming in the near future. Followed by a bit PineApple replacing the 'Samsung' sign as their logo. :D

High time to stockpile a lot of popcorn, because that's gonna be THE show.

hot spare

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2011
hmm funny that you seem to know so much about me, even down to the devices I use.

Out of sheer curiosity I borrowed my mates Galaxy Note Tab 10.1 for the day to use around Uni. To me it was awful and a totally confusing experience and I also found it quite shockingly laggy compared to my iPad. There wasn't really any good journal entry software what I found either. I use Mac Journal for iPad works wonders for jotting down notes in my seminars and lectures. Then it all syncs to my iMac & MacBook Pro when I get home so I have several constant backups of two years worth of work.

I spent about 10 min with an SIII the day after its launch and went "god I don't like this one bit"

Personally I'm not a fan and don't really care what anyone else uses, but Android is not for me. It might suite others fine, but nah.

I couldn't spend more than 1-sec with any iPhone. This is the most boring piece of dead-wood-app-launcher ever created.

[READ IT IN BOLD] I can assure you that I am not a fanboy.

Galaxy Note Tab 10.1? No such product ever existed. BTW, if you want to troll, do it properly.

Jotting down notes with iPad? maybe you don't know about wacom.

----------

They should hurry up - not sure how long he will be on board anymore....

Who said he was part of the board? He just joined the company in August. Ex-Intel employee.

OLDCODGER

macrumors 6502a
Jul 27, 2011
Lucky Country
I am curious how much will that be influential to his work for Samsung. I think we can expect 'the revolutionary sCloud' coming in the near future. Followed by a bit PineApple replacing the 'Samsung' sign as their logo. :D

High time to stockpile a lot of popcorn, because that's gonna be THE show.

They had better not - it's patented in QLD, Australia.

macnerd93

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2009
United Kingdom
I couldn't spend more than 1-sec with any iPhone. This is the most boring piece of dead-wood-app-launcher ever created.

[READ IT IN BOLD] I can assure you that I am not a fanboy.

Galaxy Note Tab 10.1? No such product ever existed. BTW, if you want to troll, do it properly.

Jotting down notes with iPad? maybe you don't know about wacom.

----------

Who said he was part of the board? He just joined the company in August. Ex-Intel employee.

No such product existed? hmm funny because this is what I used. http://www.samsung.com/global/microsite/galaxynote/note_10.1/index.html?type=find

chris2k5

macrumors 6502a
Jun 30, 2010
He lost all credibility with me when he said the Galaxy Nexus has a better screen than the iPhone (4/4S/OR 5)...

That Pentile Matrix was horrid and dim brightness was a mess.

FriendlyMackle

macrumors 6502a
Oct 29, 2011
NYC
CloudSUNG and SUNGtunes

only a few months away.

Plus the new iCopy Apple TV when it's ready.

Whoops - just saw that someone much earlier had the same thought: it will be "sCloud" and "sTunes"!
:)
and for the same reason, the complete lack of originality on the part of Samsung.

Karma*Police

macrumors 68030
Jul 15, 2012

Well, to be fair, Android needs exciting features like live wallpapers and widgets to keep users occupied while they wait for the really cool apps to migrate from iOS. Unfortunately, many great ones have yet to make an appearance, like Pages, Keynote, Paper, GarageBand, DJay, Infinity Blade, Action Movie FX, etc. And when they do, it's oftentimes inferior, like the new craze, Gangnam Style Dancebooth; the iOS version simply blows away the Android version. When I saw the low rating on Google Play, I thought it was a mistake because I had so much fun with it on the iPhone. But after downloading it, I quickly understood why the rating was so low.

macrumors newbie
Dec 7, 2012
he is the chief strategy officer

he is basically saying that our products are better than apple but people stick with apple due to the money they have invested in the ecosystem.. as some people have said earlier he seems more dangerous than an innocent honest person who is telling what product he uses

hot spare

macrumors 6502
Aug 22, 2011
Well, to be fair, Android needs exciting features like live wallpapers and widgets to keep users occupied while they wait for the really cool apps to migrate from iOS. Unfortunately, many great ones have yet to make an appearance, like Pages, Keynote, Paper, GarageBand, DJay, Infinity Blade, Action Movie FX, etc. And when they do, it's oftentimes inferior, like the new craze, Gangnam Style Dancebooth; the iOS version simply blows away the Android version. When I saw the low rating on Google Play, I thought it was a mistake because I had so much fun with it on the iPhone. But after downloading it, I quickly understood why the rating was so low.

Many apps are also available on Android with no alternative in iOS. How did the map work out and you guys literally begging for google maps?

What do you have like Tasker: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.dinglisch.android.taskerm

Do you something like DSLR Controller? https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=eu.chainfire.dslrcontroller&hl=en

What about google NOW? I guess you are one of those people who thinks google search is google NOW.

Pages, keynote etc., are all part of Apple. No android users are even bothered about any apple-made apps. How many android users do you see are dying to use apple-apps?

And don't worry about having fun, we do have a lot. Because we can do a lot from a stock phone then you can ever do from a jb-iphone.

Can any idevice ever do that?

Last edited:

macnerd93

macrumors 6502a
Nov 28, 2009
United Kingdom

Couldn't agree more. In essence both iOS & Android do the same thing. In that a Kia and a Bentley are both cars. :)

dudemac

macrumors member
Feb 4, 2004
Ecosystem Hell

Apple has been my go to system for over 10years. I wouldn't say that I have been totally impressed with everything they have done, but they used to at least attempt to help people along. Now it's just cut and run. 10+ years using their sync services that up until iCloud worked with every device I owned. Then they announce the end of life of most of my computers when it comes to sync. Email stopped working(they resolved this), calendar no longer syncs to non Lion or Mountain Lion computers. Keychain, mail rules, contacts, etc, ... all in limbo. And for what? The ecosystem in my mind died when they ended mobile me, a service I have been paying for. And instead of giving official help to people like me they just give us a little extra storage in iCloud, which for me is useless.
So what did I do, well I already had a google account. I just switched all my important stuff to the google account, and all devices now sync. Just like it was before. There are some limitations, but they are no worse than the new limitations with iCloud, and on the plus side it actually works with all my computers and devices.

One final though, 4 years of ios, I was on the 2 year upgrade cycle, so the iPhone 5 was on my list, but because of the above mentioned debacle, I started to look at android. Honestly I thought I would miss my iPhone. Like I said a little over 4 years with the same basic device. And don't get me wrong, I still like my iPhone4, but in daily use I don't miss it at all. Maybe in 2 years Apple with have gotten their ecosystem together enough for me to get another iOS device, but until then. I see no reason too.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.