Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Apple Maps or Google Maps?

• Sticking with Apple Maps

Votes: 101 42.4%
  • Going with Google Maps

Votes: 137 57.6%

• Total voters

eelw

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2012
Nope, still using my standalone Garmin unit. But have both maps on my iPhone to check on traffic conditions.

macadamanut

macrumors newbie
Oct 28, 2011
iphone 4s without cell service & the new Google maps

I have an iphone 4s without internet. I have a ATT Gophone chip in it just for emergency phone calls. Does the new Google maps work just with GPS and not having to have internet connection while traveling in my car? NavFree works for me but I would like to use the NEW Google Maps that just came out yesterday???

Thanks from a newbe

AlphaVictor87

macrumors 6502a
Sep 7, 2011
Saint Louis, MO
I was ok with Apple maps until i found out their traffic information was complete crap. Oh and there was the one time that it took me 2 miles in the wrong direction and i ended up in some apartment complex trying to find a bar to meet up with some friends.

I've been using google's web app version, and now that this is released i LOVE it. This also gave me the push to re-download Gmail now that it got updated recently too and i just disabled apple's default mail app.

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
People that stick with apple maps are in denial, google maps is the dogs bollocks ! its amazing how much is missing from apple maps :(

Eventually they will catch up but atm theres no reason to bother with it.

brylliant

macrumors regular
Jul 18, 2012
United Kingdom
Personally, I'm going to be using both. I like them both.
I like Apple Maps because of the integration with Siri but Google's one is more fluid and accurate (duh) :)

----------

Oh this is a really good point: iPhone 4 and 3GS users now get turn-by-turn in Maps. Apple's foolish for leaving that out.

Apple Logic = If it doesnt have Siri, don't let it use the voice for any of our Apps - except VoiceOver :rolleyes:

kmpoboy2

macrumors 6502
Jul 10, 2010
Alabama
Google maps doesn't have voice turn by turn here apparently, so I'll stick with apple maps that hasn't give me any problems so far.

fsck-y dingo

macrumors 65816
Jun 14, 2009
I'm going with Google Maps.

I'd really like to have Apple Maps the way it is, but with Google's data. That's not going to happen, but it would be ideal.

zbarvian

macrumors 68010
Jul 23, 2011
Personally, I'm going to be using both. I like them both.
I like Apple Maps because of the integration with Siri but Google's one is more fluid and accurate (duh) :)

----------

Apple Logic = If it doesnt have Siri, don't let it use the voice for any of our Apps - except VoiceOver :rolleyes:

Yeah, and Siri could most likely be supported on those devices, too, which is even sadder.

irDigital0l

Dec 7, 2010
No turn by turn or flyover for iPhone 4 so why use Apple Maps?

Google maps has turn by turn, transit, street view, and soon offline maps.

Killer right there.

pdqgp

macrumors 68020
Mar 23, 2010
niether one

Motion X GPS Drive beats them both hands down for turn by turn and other uses.

maxosx

macrumors 68020
Dec 13, 2012
Southern California
Now, if only I could have Google back as the stock maps so I could once again use location based reminders, Find My ___, or my 3rd party apps.
I'd like the option of removing Apple maps altogether. Then replace with Google like my reliable iPhone 4 has. It's the only thing stopping me from buying an iPhone 5.

My iPhone 4 works great, but I'm in the mood for a new iPhone. I guess I'll wait for next years model.

roxxette

macrumors 68000
Aug 9, 2011
Yeap being able to replace stock apps will be a great option, lets hope it happends sooner than later.

BENJMNS

macrumors 6502
Dec 28, 2005
Waze for car navi. Saved me thirty minutes Rerouting me past traffic on the interstate.

big samm

macrumors 68000
Oct 27, 2008
Will not use apple maps anymore that you can be certain!! Yes their app looks good and integration with siri and all but i need proper directions, and Google those that exactly FOR ME!!!

Kukulcan

macrumors 6502
May 14, 2011
I will probably continue to use Apple Maps as map data is accurate where I live. Here are a few observations:

Google Maps german voice is very nice, less robotic. But it is less exact with pronounciation of street names. Sometimes it makes strange pauses, sometimes it is just a flow of words:

"In 400 meters...pause...pause...pause...turn left"
"turnleftonthisstreetthenturnrightontheotherstreet"

Directions are shown in lock screen, but only text, often pretty long, nothing I feel safe to read while driving. Speech and text don't come always at the same time, a little disturbing.

Battery usage is quite bad on both, but data usage is 250K (Apple) vs. 1.5M (Google) for the same route. Google didn't find a server in our underground garage (same with Apple sometimes) but even when I was already in full LTE coverage I still needed to try half a dozen times - on the Autobahn already :(

General look & feel is better on Apple's maps IMO with search being better on Google's (as expected).

When entering a new street, Apple already tells you about next exit (which I think is a nice touch), while Google just says how long to follow.

Navigation itself is accurate on both where I live, Route selection is a matter of taste (nice that Google shows alternatives, but taking traffic into account both seem to offer very good routes).

Google Maps offers me no transit directions, not even with walking a few kilometers or suggesting a taxi like the website does. I didn't hope for it as Google's data does not include our local busses and trams.

The company I work for is on Google's Maps, but not on Apple's, my home location actually has a few more and more accurate POIs on Apple while Google has some more important ones. Both of them are pretty outdated.

So apple has the slight edge for what I need, will use it mostly for the lower data usage. If you want more POIs, live in one of Apple's forsaken countries like the UK or need street view the choice is obvious anyway.

Now why all the years and billions spent by Apple to finally have a TBT version of Google Maps on iOS? Anyway, choice is great and Google sure has the easier task to get their solution to perfection, if they offer offline maps earlier than Apple I sure will use their maps more.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.