Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TonsOfFun420

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2012
I have a 3GS and want to upgrade, I was thinking about getting a 4S from best buy for $50, or is that a bad idea? I suppose I could get the 5 for $150 but including tax and the $36 att charge it starts adding up. By the way I got my 3GS when the 4 was already out, and the 4S was just around the corner so I'm not too worried about having the latest thing.

SidewaysTakumi

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2010
Texas
Some of us have had luck getting AT&T to wave the upgrade fee after the fact...

But on the short note about the phone, I wouldn't want a piece of tech that was already over a year old. And stuck to a contract at that! Think about how you'll feel in 18+months when you are due for another upgrade and your phone is having issues/creeping by then. Just spent the extra coin on the 5 and don't look back.

Xikum

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2011
Some of us have had luck getting AT&T to wave the upgrade fee after the fact...

But on the short note about the phone, I wouldn't want a piece of tech that was already over a year old. And stuck to a contract at that! Think about how you'll feel in 18+months when you are due for another upgrade and your phone is having issues/creeping by then. Just spent the extra coin on the 5 and don't look back.

Because unless its the latest and greatest, it's not worth buying? :rolleyes:

OP, I have an iPhone 4 and there literally has not been a single moment when I wished I had a more powerful phone. Unless you play a lot of games or something, then the iPhone 4S will not ever slow you down. I had the option to upgrade my 4 to the 5 a few weeks ago and I really couldn't see a single, genuine reason. The 4 runs perfect on iOS 6, I think that the build of the 4/4S is better (wont get scratched by your nails...) and that extra 0.5 inches isn't really anything special.

I'd get the 4S and save yourself a bit of money. Put it toward something more useful.

SidewaysTakumi

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2010
Texas

NO but if you're buying it on contract and are locked into that phone, it will not be fun having a 3+ year old phone when it's time to upgrade. Might not be able to run the latest OS, or have all the features, etc.

I've BEEN THERE.

I also came from a 4 and while there was nothing wrong with it, I definitely wouldn't have wanted to be locked in til 4/2014 (my upgrade date) on a 4s.

zorinlynx

macrumors G3
May 31, 2007
Florida, USA
Try to find a used 4S to buy, if you're going to go that route. Obtaining a new one in contract right now is not a wise investment.

Xikum

macrumors 6502
Oct 19, 2011
NO but if you're buying it on contract and are locked into that phone, it will not be fun having a 3+ year old phone when it's time to upgrade. Might not be able to run the latest OS, or have all the features, etc.

I've BEEN THERE.

I also came from a 4 and while there was nothing wrong with it, I definitely wouldn't have wanted to be locked in til 4/2014 (my upgrade date) on a 4s.

Considering the 3GS was supported with iOS 6, I imagine that iOS 7 will still support the iPhone 4. Not only that, but iOS updates are becoming very, very bland and really not adding that much functionality.

What difference does the age of a phone make if you are happy with it? I'm happy with my iP4, and I see no reason why anybody wouldnt be happy with it. Just because its old doesnt change a thing.
http://theoatmeal.com/comics/apple

aphexacid

macrumors 6502a
Jul 31, 2007
Chicago
The 4S is still an exceptional device! I would see which you like better between the 4S and 5. Don't worry about specs.
Compare the body, and screen size. See which you like better and then consider price.

Furifo

macrumors 6502
Jun 1, 2010
I know the OP doesn't care for the latest and greatest but, OP, I would definitely consider putting up some extra coin for the 5. I think you will be much happier with the 5 compared to the 4S.

Don't get me wrong... I'm not burning 4S users - I think the 4S is still a beautiful, speedy phone and if you have one then I'm sure you are very happy with it.

I never had a 4S and so I could be wrong but a couple of my friends have said one of their favourite things about going from 4S -> 5 is going from 4/5 hours usage -> 7/8 hours usage in terms of battery life.

The more efficient A6 chip, coupled with a better calibrated + bigger display with a 16:9 aspect ratio seems like the iP5 would be well worth the extra cost over the 4S.

Oh, and let us not forget the other advantage that the iP5 has over the 4S.

You know what I'm talking about....

.... LTE ;)

Mr Hill

macrumors 6502a
Apr 28, 2012
Charlotte, NC
The real cost of the phone is in the $100+ monthly bill you're likely paying. I don't see any point in ever opting for the year old model when the current one is only $100 difference in price if I'm already paying a high monthly bill anyway. Go ahead and cough up the $150 now. If you really want a 4S, just get a used one from somewhere or get the 5, sell it, then buy a used 4S and pocket the difference.

AbhiKap55

macrumors member
Sep 17, 2012
I have a 3GS and want to upgrade, I was thinking about getting a 4S from best buy for $50, or is that a bad idea? I suppose I could get the 5 for $150 but including tax and the $36 att charge it starts adding up. By the way I got my 3GS when the 4 was already out, and the 4S was just around the corner so I'm not too worried about having the latest thing.

Wait, and iPhone 4S for $50 US dollars??? That's a great deal! Where I live, everything, especially Apple Products, and very expensive. I really recommend getting it!

Last edited by a moderator:

617aircav

Suspended
Jul 2, 2012
Try to find a used 4S to buy, if you're going to go that route. Obtaining a new one in contract right now is not a wise investment.

Good advice. That's what I did. Found one like new, with apple care till may 2013 on Craigslist for 210.

mankar4

macrumors 6502a
Aug 23, 2007
USA
Why would you get a 4S without lte when you could get a 5 with lte? lte is a huge upgrade and makes the 5 a big step up from the 4S, much more than the 4S is a step up from the 4 or even the 3gs.

AnorexicPig

macrumors 6502
Dec 12, 2012
Winnipeg,Canada
I upgraded from 4 to 4S and never really felt much of a difference (honestly,though it's just me).

But 4S to 5,lot of difference,much lighter and after using it for more than two months,4 or 4S does feel a little outdated.The screen itself makes it worthwile.

No offence to any 4 or 4S owners,they are still great phones but 5 is worth it IMO.

SidewaysTakumi

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2010
Texas
Oh really?

How old is your ....

Television?
Motor Vehicle?
Refrigerator?
Oven/Range?
Washing Machine?
Dishwasher?
Clothes Dryer?

Just ask'n ... ;)

Good point except that my car is 4 months old, I rent and appliances are provided, my tv was free and the next one I buy I will buy THIS YEARS MODEL not last years.

Phones change and upgrade at a significantly faster rate than the other things you mentioned. iPhones themselves are updated yearly and many feel that is not quickly enough.

But, I gotcha. I just choose not to buy year old phones when for $100 I can have the current model. I'm not rich either. I make the low end of a teacher salary.

Sedrick

macrumors 68030
Nov 10, 2010
My only issues with the 5 are durability issues. If you're not too concerned with scratches, flaking finish, screen popping up and the phone bending in a tight pare of jeans, then the 5 is your best bet. Myself, I'm waiting for the 5S or until I see a decent W8 phone.

Until then my new 4S will hold me just fine.

AFDoc

Suspended
Jun 29, 2012
Colorado Springs USA for now

Basically... yes for some it's not. I won't buy old tech simply to save money. IF the changes made don't warrant my increase in cash then sure, I'll spring for the older tech. However the 4s to 5 is one of those times I won't skimp simply to save a buck.

How old is your ....
Television?
Motor Vehicle?
Refrigerator?
Oven/Range?
Washing Machine?
Dishwasher?
Clothes Dryer?
Apples v/s Oranges. You listed items that are typically kept for many years which is not the case for the typical smart phone.... it's life cycle is typically the two year update cycle. IF a person was going out to buy a new any of the items you listed they would most likely purchase the most recent model.

Last edited:

tann

macrumors 68000
Apr 15, 2010
UK
4S I would argue is more than enough for most people, and should go for 2 years easy.

Now I would HEAVILY tell people NOT to get a 4 in this day and age. I think the 4S will be supported for much longer (due to A5 etc - look at iPad 1, already forgotten!).

TonsOfFun420

macrumors member
Original poster
May 10, 2012
I ended up getting the 5 at sams club, $136 after tax. Thanks for all the input everyone

lke

macrumors 6502a
Jun 19, 2009
Get the iphone 5 you will regret not having the latest and best iphone ever.

The big screen and the fast speed of lte makes a better option to choose the iphone 5

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.