Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

JayJayAbels

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2012
The Mac vs PC ads by Apple were horrible, racially stereotyped users, and cheesy. This ad by Samsung is very clever and subtle by comparison.

"Racially" stereotyped users? Elaborate.

----------

I don't think Samsung thinks up ways to attack Apple and wonders, "is this fair?" If apple doesn't have a good comeback then it makes it absolutely genius. Samsung stealing tech? Maybe then Samsung can make one on how they supply iPhone and other Apple screens.

----------

Umm....attack ads weren't thought up by Audi.

Using already patented software processes and designs without paying a royalty is theft.
Samsung manufacturing components for other companies is... business as usual.

You sir... are oblivious. And irritating.

----------

Great ad! :D

*Misleading ad!

Fixed.

haruhiko

macrumors 604
Sep 29, 2009
Great move by Samsung's marketing department but it's outdated just after a few days [pun intended] with the Google Maps being released in the iOS App Store. But I think they will try to spread this FUD for a while.

Dr McKay

macrumors 68040
Aug 11, 2010
Kirkland
Same here in Switzerland - no problems whatsoever. But again, who the heck cares about a backwater area of Australia, which is little more than a mining colony for China?

1 - Who the heck cares about an Australian backwater?

I imagine the people that live there, and the people who are travelling there for a visit. I'm sure the Police who are having to rescue people out there care too.

Just because you don't care, doesn't mean everybody else doesn't too.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
http://news.cnet.com/8301-13579_3-57558758-37/apple-could-make-bid-for-map-firm-tomtom-analyst-says/

They will never go back to Google. Ego issues. They need a decent search engine integrated with Maps/Navi. Only options are Yahoo and Bing. Easier to grab Yahoo.

hmmm.. will be interesting to see what happens but I won't hold my breath if it's only an analyst speculating.

I want to check one of those out. I know the iphones quite well from use, especially as everyone I know seems to upgrade the second a new one comes out. I have yet to see the Nexus up close.

I think it may be a bit too big for me but the fact you get some decent hardware and a Snapdragon S4 Pro for the money can't be ignored, amazing value. They just need to release a 32GB version too.

jpadhiyar

macrumors regular
Oct 15, 2012
Ahmedabad, India
Well, this is kind of getting “duh” all the time now. Not sure if only those ads that take a jibe at Apple get all this coverage or if Samsung is doing only these! If the latter is true, Samsung's got a major problem. I think they've not moved on after the $1 billion debacle.

KPOM

macrumors P6
Oct 23, 2010
Is that the story mentioned several times already in this thread and already been rebuked? Because it just tells you to use a road not suitable, where as Apple tells you to drive into the middle of no where?

Either way, they give you bad directions. Google Maps is better, no doubt. No map service is perfect, however. But now iOS users have native Google Maps, just like Android users (even better, if the Verge is to be believed).

Nice try, though.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
Well, the fact that they have not corrected any issues since it was introduced publicly about 3 months ago (5 months if you count its true release) leads me to believe they're not actually working too hard on it, despite all the rubbish they leak to the press.

Aaaaah because as a developer for one of the largest smartphone makers in the world, you know how the development process works. I see.

kas23

macrumors 603
Oct 28, 2007
Aaaaah because as a developer for one of the largest smartphone makers in the world, you know how the development process works. I see.

You can't be serious. Actually why don't you re-read what you just wrote slowly and you'll see what I mean.

But, I'll spell it out for you because I'm nice like that: Largest cellphone developer in the world...poor quality mobile maps...5 months...nearly a half year...still no changes.

OldSchoolMacGuy

Suspended
Jul 10, 2008
You can't be serious. Actually why don't you re-read what you just wrote slowly and you'll see what I mean.

But, I'll spell it out for you because I'm nice like that: Largest cellphone developer in the world...poor quality mobile maps...5 months...nearly a half year...still no changes.

Yes and because they have yet to release anything, they're obviously not working on it at all. And you most obviously know the turnaround time for such a revamp.

cdubb80

macrumors member
May 15, 2011
Inelegant. Childish. Will backfire.

mmm... bet if apple did this ad it's "witty", "hilarious", "creative".

who the heck calls an ad "inelegant". this is not an advertisement for a faberge egg, a chanel dress, diamond earrings, or a 18th century mahogany desk.

it catches your attention, thats all that matters.

p.s. i own a MBP, ipad2, iphone 3gs, ATV2. I am living in Australia for a year, and haven't updated my iphone IOS or actual phone with cracked screen yet because of this maps fiasco

KdParker

macrumors 601
Oct 1, 2010
Everywhere
I don't understand why people get so offended by these ads. I'm an iPhone user and I think they are funny.. it doesn't seem like they are attacking apple users at all.

I specially like the one that makes fun of the waiting lines which starts with a line and saying "Chicago (or whatever). 10 hours to go" haha

Also why so much hate for Samsung? The more competition the better for us customers, no matter if it's from samsung, nokia, sony or whatever. It speeds up the adoption of new technologies and software improvements!

Take the new droid DNA from HTC which has a 441ppi display. I can assure you that every flagship android phone in 2013 will push for higher pixel density because of it.. how can that be bad?

Nobody hates samsung...The make great phones, TV, parts, etc....

Just tired of all the andriodians trolling throught macRumors looking for validation for the choice of Operating Systems.

bpeeps

Suspended
May 6, 2011
And this is why I loathe Samsung.

It puts Apple in a bad position. What is Apple supposed to do? Retaliate and attack Samsung with a TV ad using a white back drop and dueling iPad keyboards? That's not Apple's style. How do they defend themselves here?

These marketing ploys by Samsung MUST get under Apple's skin but they have no way to return the favor.

If I were Apple I would start making Ads similar to the Mac vs PC ads but do it in a way exposing how Samsung steals tech and ideas.

They're just corny and use cheap tactics to sell their product. I don't like it... never have.

Calm down, Tim.

cdubb80

macrumors member
May 15, 2011
And this is why I loathe Samsung.

They're just corny and use cheap tactics to sell their product. I don't like it... never have.

Dude you have serious emotional problems if you loathe a company. Unless Samsung made a dishwasher that overflowed your kitchen, or their washer/dryer shrunk all your clothes, or they forced you to buy their TV get real.

Wonder what other companies use cheap tactics to sell their product.
- Want to buy a mini tablet after saying small tablets are useless?
- Advertise a new phone with "navigation maps" that don't work for a large proportion of the population?
- Mock another operating system as geeky, and not hip or cool
- Try selling a "red" product that supposedly raises money for charities?

http://adage.com/article/news/costly-red-campaign-reaps-meager-18-million/115287/

$100 million spent on marketing by apple/gap/motorola raised $18 million for charities.... maybe they could just donate quarter of the marketing money instead.

http://venturebeat.com/2012/02/02/apple-charity-efforts/
recently they've donated $100 million ($50M each to Standford and red charity the Global Fund). still only 0.1 percent of their almost $100 Billion in cash.

gap donates 50% of their red products price. apple sells an ipod nano for $200 or $250 and gives $10 - at most 5%. You can say whatever about markups, but it's not like apple doesn't gain anything from the red products.

Last edited:

GoodWatch

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2007
Rotterdam, The Netherlands
There is nothing wrong with PC commercials. I love those. It puts smile on anybody face. Vista once are one of the best. Approve and Deny.

It's all a matter of personal taste. The Apple apologists condemn that Samsung advert but were in stitches over the 'I'm a PC' commercials. It's all part of the game, take it like a man.... Vista is history and Apple always has clear sailing, they only have to cater for their own hardware. Easy peasy.

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
The Apple apologists condemn that Samsung advert but were in stitches over the 'I'm a PC' commercials.

Apple's ads attacked the product. And in a humorously sympathetic manner. PC was actually a likeable character, in a tragic way. Who didn't feel bad for the poor fella?

Samsung's ads attack the users. "Look at these idiots, all lining up to buy something from our competitor. Pathetic!"

Insulting people never seems like a good marketing strategy.

cdubb80

macrumors member
May 15, 2011
Apple's ads attacked the product. And in a humorously sympathetic manner. PC was actually a likeable character, in a tragic way. Who didn't feel bad for the poor fella?

Samsung's ads attack the users. "Look at these idiots, all lining up to buy something from our competitor. Pathetic!"

Insulting people never seems like a good marketing strategy.

You don't know seem to know what the definition of a parody is.

So you don't think the sad pathetic PC character didn't represent PC users?

The samsung ads seem to say "why are people lining up for a phone, when there is a better phone out there" or "hey did you get lost using an iphone"

So this second ad definitely was mocking the iphone.

p.s. who lines up days for a new iphone anyways? is it life or death, no ... will it satisfy the empty whole in their heart to be the first one to get the new iphone ... apparently yes

LagunaSol

macrumors 601
Apr 3, 2003
You don't know seem to know what the definition of a parody is.

I think you're the one confused in this case.

So you don't think the sad pathetic PC character didn't represent PC users?

Absolutely not. Which is why he clearly states at the beginning of the ads "I'm a PC." Yes, he's a PC. Not a PC user.

The samsung ads seem to say "why are people lining up for a phone, when there is a better phone out there" or "hey did you get lost using an iphone"

Nope. They were making fun of the customers themselves. "Deja, deja, deja, deja vu."

p.s. who lines up days for a new iphone anyways?

Not Samsung customers, apparently.

will it satisfy the empty whole in their heart to be the first one to get the new iphone ... apparently yes

Some people enjoy the social aspect. Like lining up for a new movie release.

It shouldn't be that hard to understand.

cdubb80

macrumors member
May 15, 2011
Some people enjoy the social aspect. Like lining up for a new movie release.

It shouldn't be that hard to understand.

yes, i am sure you are making life long friends in those lines.

the only thing in common is the desperate need to have the "latest and greatest", or the obsession with a movie series, and the notoriety of being "first".

you are not getting an iphone that is more special than one bought 2 days, or 2 weeks, or 2 months later.

plus the samsung ad is quite popular, and it is a satire. you've made 3000 posts on this forum... can you deny it's not about people speculating on apple rumors, and that its filled with fanboys obsessing over things?

http://www.macworld.com.au/news/samsung-ad-mocking-apple-fans-most-popular-tech-vid-of-2012-82476/

p.s. you probably don't use google (enemy #1 of apple) on your ipad/macbook or else you'd find this on wikepedia

"A parody ( /ˈpærədi/; also called pastiche, spoof, send-up or lampoon) an imitative work created to mock, comment on or trivialise an original work, its subject, author, style, or some other target, by means of satiric or ironic imitation"

The advert shows people waiting in line for the iPhone 5, and shows what Apple fans are saying: “I hear the phone jack is going to be on the bottom”, “I hear the connectors all digital… what does that even mean”, “this year we’re finally getting everything that we didn’t get last year”.

Last edited:

cdubb80

macrumors member
May 15, 2011
Yes, social interactions should be limited to lifelong friendships. :rolleyes:

yes are you actually talking to others? who, the other dude next to you spending time staring at his ipad :p

well makes sense that is considered social interaction for person who posts over 4300 times on this forum (note i don't have anything against you personally, just your argument that samsung's ad is evil compared to apples)

if you're portraying an inanimate object such as a computer as either a cool person or a lame person, there is a certain connotation associated with those who buy such products.

Last edited:

cdubb80

macrumors member
May 15, 2011

I admit you didn't specify Samsung was "evil", but Samung didn't specify mac users are "idiots or pathetic" either

plus you still didn't explain to me your definition of parody

4300+ posts - has a single one been useful/helpful? all your recent posts are basically just
(1) calling samsung and google names, making fun of samsung sheep or Fandroids
(2) post the "roll eyes" symbol all the time
(3) complaining about Obama.

Sad paranoid Republican Apple Fanboy.

Last edited:
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.