Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
The fairness is that apple created all thoses products AND created the market for mobility while nobody wanted to try it.

If Apple failed with the iPhone, today, Apple -as SJ said- would be banckrupcy because they used all their money to do it.

It's so easy to do like samsung and just wait the others to do all the hard work, and then, once you see it's working, just pop in there and making copy of the products.

Apple in no way shape or form 'created' the mobile market or smartphones.
You can certainly argue the mobile market would be the same today regardless if Apple entered it or not.

Last edited by a moderator:

TrentS

macrumors 6502
Sep 24, 2011
Overland Park, Kansas
Sick 'Em Kodak!

Wait... Didn't Kodak come up with the first digital camera? Thus everyone else copied off of them? Kodak should sue the whole lot, win billions, and then be back in business!!

:D :D :D :D

BaldiMac

macrumors G3
Jan 24, 2008

Maybe if we called them "superphones" like Google tried to, this argument would be a bit clearer. But a rose by any other name...

You can certainly argue the mobile market would be the same today regardless if Apple entered it or not.

Sure. But it would be a pretty silly argument.

identity

macrumors 6502
Nov 18, 2011

To some, there were no smartphones, tablets, streaming video devices, or mp3 players before Apple came out with their products. This is like saying Michael Jordan created basketball because everybody wants to play like Michael Jordan.

Apple benefited from the errors of early companies who laid the foundation for today's gadgets. I can't even name the last time Apple actually created a device that wasn't already created or out in the market from a competitor. Probably have to go back to the 80's/early 90's for the AIO desktops.

Last edited by a moderator:

kdarling

macrumors P6
No, they patented a implementation of slide to unlock that involves manipulating an image over a predefined path. They didn't patent simply sliding to unlock.

Baldi, you're right about the original patent, but once Apple realized there were other obvious methods, they went back later and piled on more claims using patents that were "extensions" of that one.

Yes there is, and more than one in this regard. Here is one such patent
http://news.cnet.com/8301-30685_3-20073461-264/apples-new-multitouch-patent-faq/

That's another one of my favorite examples of obviousness.

Presented with the need to scroll different areas of a multi-touch screen, what would you do? Wait. You need two different kinds of gestures on a screen that recognizes more than one finger? Maybe, oh I don't know, use different numbers of fingers for this?

You bet. Then patent it just because no one else had.

So one of mobilemediaidea's "ideas" was a "camera phone"? Good lord.

The patent Apple infringed is for a device (of almost any kind) with a camera, which then transmits the camera image (or an edited version) via radio "to another location".

Another USPTO gem. I swear, you couldn't make this stuff up if you tried.

BobCollins

macrumors member
Mar 20, 2011
Sunnyvale CA USA
I wish I could get a patent trial free version of MacRumors, because they couldn't interest me less. So bored of all this suing back and forth that's only really a profit the law firms.

I wish we could get a patent trial free version of Apple. Their incessant litigation is an indication that they don't have much more to innovate and their focus is protecting what they have.

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
Apple benefited from the errors of early companies who laid the foundation for today's gadgets. I can't even name the last time Apple actually created a device that wasn't already created or out in the market from a competitor. Probably have to go back to the 80's/early 90's for the AIO desktops.

Exactly and that is a much tougher job. Anyone who knows what can be done with the current technology can go ahead and make some "new" device which nobody will use. Making one that people actually use is the trick regardless of its originality. Apple didn't make the first smartphone, but Apple changed the smartphone industry. Apple didn't make the first mp3 player but they changed the music industry. Making the first of any category is good for one thing, and that's patents.

pacalis

macrumors 65816
Oct 5, 2011
I wish I could get a patent trial free version of MacRumors, because they couldn't interest me less. So bored of all this suing back and forth that's only really a profit the law firms.

Sorry bro, the technology to remove patent threads from message boards is patented.
:mad:

Wait... Didn't Kodak come up with the first digital camera? Thus everyone else copied off of them? Kodak should sue the whole lot, win billions, and then be back in business!!

:D :D :D :D

They didn't. But ironically Kodak directly stole polaroid technology from polaroid, who went out of business when the lawsuit was occuring (I think $800M to polaroid in damages, largest suit at the time).

And I guess that's a point, patents will not save a failing firm. They're more like error terms and the cost of doing business for large companies. Just like regulatory filings and Sarbanes Oxley compliance. I think there's only about 3000 lawsuits each year, of which only about 10% go forward. Again, in the grand scheme of things, not worth freaking out over.

erzhik

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2010
So one of mobilemediaidea's "ideas" was a "camera phone"? Good lord.

MobileMedial is a firm that "takes care of" patents for Nokia and some other company. Those patents that iPhone infringed on were Nokia's not mobilemedia's

Lark.Landon

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2012
So Cal
Political insults belong in the Politics/Religion/Social Issues forum. But since you insist on bringing politics into this thread, my experience has been quite the opposite. The "Faux News" watchers, as someone like yourself would no doubt refer to them, have been very supportive of Apple in its patent wars. Many defend absurd patents, both hardware and software, as being a good expression of capitalism. Some who I had long thought to be arch-progressives have slowly transformed until their political views are staunchly pro-corp and pro-capitalism.

And I hope you aren't associating Google with conservatism, since Google is one of the most progressive companies on the planet. Schmidt just turned down a cabinet post in the 2.0 Obama admin.

Posts like yours merely prove that redneck hillbillies don't have a monopoly on ignorance.

Wow. And racist posts like yours belong nowhere on these forums. He made a single statement and you go popping off at the mouth calling people redneck hillbillies. You are trash.

dukebound85

macrumors Core
Jul 17, 2005
5045 feet above sea level

Presented with the need to scroll different areas of a multi-touch screen, what would you do? Wait. You need two different kinds of gestures on a screen that recognizes more than one finger? Maybe, oh I don't know, use different numbers of fingers for this?

Haha I agree about the obvious aspect but that won't stop apple from trying to throw it's weight around enforcing it.

Windlasher

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2011
minneapolis
So Apple is the ONLY company with a camera in a phone????

This is just companies with no products, going down hill and looking to cash in.

I wish I had gone to law school and become a judge. I would have concentrated on IP law and thrown these people out of my court with prejudice the moment they showed up.

karimseed

macrumors newbie
Aug 16, 2011
I'd be fair if Apple had any sense of moral or ethical obligation. This is being very fair considering the amount of horses*it that Apple's thrown at the competition and global community.

Rounded corners? Flat glass surfaces? Slide to unlock?

Was there any fairness from Apple's part or from you or any other macrumors members when Apple bullied a polish online food delivery store named http://www.a.pl

Was any of that fair? There has been NO place for fairness in Apple's mind in the last 8 years, so this story is directly reflected of what Apple has been doing in the global community.

Don't even bring up fairness when cheering on for a company that doesnt care about you or fairness.

LOL You think Google or samsung has been fair to you? Samsungs suing apple for frand patents. Wireless and 3g patents should be for everyone. Without it no phone would be able to operate. Remember when google was taking your information without asking you on safari? Google has the worst privacy ever. Google wants people to be tracked. Google forces things down people's throats. Google went and bought MOTOROLA just to sue Apple. Now people wont be getting phones that were as good from motorola as they use to. Google sued apple over siri. Sure apple has made their mistakes in the past but saying that apple is not fair and companies like google and samsung are? wow.

Windlasher

macrumors 6502
Jan 11, 2011
minneapolis
I wish we could get a patent trial free version of Apple. Their incessant litigation is an indication that they don't have much more to innovate and their focus is protecting what they have.

UH... apple didn't file this lawsuit. Many of these lawsuits are leeches trying to cash in on apple. WHAT, they shouldn't defend themselves?

----------

Typical Apple thievery.

yes because Apple is the only phone maker with a camera in the phone.

Ryan John

macrumors regular
Jan 31, 2011
Patent 6,563,927 - Back cover for a mobile phone.

There is not enough FAIL/LULZ/Facepalms on this planet to accurately describe how horrendously laughable this one is.

Yes somebody might even try to patent the shape of a tablet soon, how laughable would that be?

Oh wait.......

MacinDoc

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2004
The Great White North
Baldi, you're right about the original patent, but once Apple realized there were other obvious methods, they went back later and piled on more claims using patents that were "extensions" of that one.

The patent Apple infringed is for a device (of almost any kind) with a camera, which then transmits the camera image (or an edited version) via radio "to another location".

Another USPTO gem. I swear, you couldn't make this stuff up if you tried.
Clearly, way too many patents granted to Apple and others have had way too high a threshold for obviousness. Multi-touch gestures? "Buy" button? RADIO transmission of images generated by a camera integrated into a phone? BACK COVER on a phone? You're right, it's hard to imagine a patent application that would be rejected. (Hey, can I get a patent on the process of applying for patents? Just think of the royalties, the settlements, and the jury awards! I know the idea is obvious, but that clearly doesn't matter, just so long as it isn't yet patented, right?)

What really gets me, though, is that a jury just UPHELD these ridiculous patents. At least some of Apple's silly patents are being reviewed or rejected. Apple legal team fail on this one.

Last edited:

SPUY767

macrumors 68020
Jun 22, 2003
GA
Apple is suing the Galaxy Note because of the S-pen which Apple doesn't develop any tablet pens.....but of course, this doesn't apply to Apple because hypocrisy....

https://www.macrumors.com/2012/11/0...d-the-galaxy-note-10-1-of-infringing-patents/

If Apple isn't actively developing it within three years of filing, then it should absolutely go public domain. I know you think you're super edgy and think that I must be an Apple fanboy because I think patent trolls are the scum of the earth.

MacinDoc

macrumors 68020
Mar 22, 2004
The Great White North
If Apple isn't actively developing it within three years of filing, then it should absolutely go public domain. I know you think you're super edgy and think that I must be an Apple fanboy because I think patent trolls are the scum of the earth.
If all patents on electronics and software had a limit of three years, we would have a lot less trouble with patent trolling, while still giving inventors a bit of a leg up and some incentive to continue inventing.

After three years, most tech is outdated anyway.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.